EoTD looking back

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ptah, Jul 27, 2018.

1. ptah Augur

So having missed all of tbm and eok I made a return to game with the launch of RoS. Behind with content, knowledge, gear and ton of inflated AA needs. Needless to say I had some work ahead of me.

Rebuilt a solid fellowship of like minded players and shared a common playtime.. both day and time of day. Some of us shared an interest in TS, raiding, general grouping etc. I was blessed to share in the adventure.

Moving forward about six weeks ago I attempt to make a hyper focus day of week for my server. For this example I say.. Sunday sunday sunday monster truck eotd questing. starting at 8 am sunday. It showed interest from several.. with turning its lack luster efforts. Recalling 7 people finishing out the quest vs 40 or so in channel. Now the questing was not too bad overall.. with a few points that bottleneck some.. one was the spider caves in Lcea.. faction was another. I found Droga to be very quick and simple.. but if error death is quick too.

Now all is said and done. What is your feelings on this blocker quest line? Do you redo with friends in or out of guild? Would you rerun for 15 kronos is player x paid it?

For me personally I enjoy the quest line and it was a great way to learn the ins and outs of each zone.. the running around was both good and bad. Yelling at the screen doesn't help anything but my ego.. or lack of it.

Is the modern player today at 110.. with all them AA.. still having issues doing the quest? Or is it funcation of just not wanting to do it? With most PartQuest task being shared and able to run it 1 hour or maybe 90 mins if user don't understand; what is excuse for not doing it?

Length of quest is large and looks to take forever to finish it; honestly its what 30 36 hours of playtime?? Call it 60 hours.. so a six week investment at 10 hours a week?

Who knows if it leads to more fun or anything else.. our goal was get it.. and move thru ROS without fear on named green sanarkies.. and the SF mission. Within a week we be xploring VP and the unknown for us.

Please share your thoughts or adventures along the way. I still feel this quest was pathway thru eok and I had fun. So I would enjoy something like this in future. Thanks again for input and time. adventure well..
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

EotD is a fantastic quest line. It takes a while and it takes some help, but totally doable.

Most people who aren't interested in completing it won't bother to help or be helped. It seems to be a point of polarization. In any case, I enjoyed the quest, but Droga was the sticking point for me. Bad group makeup for the zone. An Enchanter makes short work of the Droga missions and quests. If you don't have one...well, you wind up hating the quests and the zone. :)
  3. chronicler Augur

You need to have some friends to do it with, it is absolutely needed.

The major hurdles are the Citizen task that happens in the spider caves, that part also the worst in EoTD, and 1 in FM, where you need to kill some goos in certain amount of time.

There 1 or 2 tasks, that if you do those together with other friends and they at same steps, you will make the tasks harder.
    On the other hand, you can make the collect tasks easier doing them correct.

Prob each zone takes 4-5 hours, that 20-25 hours.
  4. Gnomius_Tunare New Member

I help people run various EoTD quests on a regular basis. My wife is a cleric and I'm a necro. Both of us are nearly or fully EOK raid geared. She has max AA's and I have near max AA's, so maybe take this with a grain of salt. Together there isn't much content that we can't take out together, so people who predominantly solo or otherwise have trouble grouping are obviously going to have a different experience than us.

Back in the 105 days this quest line could be a nightmare. The spider caves you mentioned were terrible. We would take 2 - 4 groups in at a time and still struggle to get it done without a few people dying. There are a few odd issues such as quest steps that auto-spawn mobs that aren't smart enough to spawn ONE mob at a time when SIX group members are at the same step. That's a hard and painful lesson to learn. Most of the rest of the quests were completely doable at 105, and I thoroughly enjoyed nearly all of it. There's also one instanced version of Droga that is a joke to pull, because aggro ranges are huge and inconsistent.

At 110, the vast majority of this is trivial. The spider caves aren't quite a joke, but they certainly aren't scary any longer. Chardok and Droga are fun to mess around in. Speaking of those two zones, that part is really out of balance. Chardok is long and difficult with quests that take you from Point A to Point B to Point A to Point B to Point C to Point A to Point B...without an real sense that you're doing anything beyond completing busywork.The mixture of see invis, undead, and standard mobs means travel from point to point can be needlessly tedious. Meanwhile, if you plan ahead and know what the quests involve, Droga can be completed in a matter of hours without even seeing half of the zone.

There are only two sticking points one might run into doing the quest line, especially at 110. One is the odd mission in FM where you have to kill the slimes before they get to bottom of the hill. That quest requires such a specific skill set that it can become a bottleneck if you don't have the right friends to help you. The other is faction farming in SW. Luckily the bump to 110 makes killing so much faster, and the devs were very generous in the amount of faction you get per kill. However, that doesn't change the fact that not everyone starts at the same faction - which can fracture your friend group and make it difficult to progress - and the burynai area is just a huge PITA with adds. I actually like the idea of faction swapping, although I think giving you less faction per kill and forcing you to choose a side would have been a better course of action.

So all in all, I really enjoy the EoTD quest line. I don't know that I agree with people who complain that it gates off ROS content. For one, they are so complimentary in terms of environment and storytelling that it makes sense. Second, the game IS called Everquest. You're kinda meant to quest a lot. Third, at 110 it's really not that hard to complete and there's not THAT much RoS content that you can't complete without already having EoTD. There are more than a few reasons why I don't really care for RoS, but the EoTD requirement isn't particularly high on the list.
  5. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I liked EotD1. The only thing that felt like a dumb timesink was the Scorched faction flipping, and even that was not particularly difficult or time consuming.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

I liked the quest line.
    I've done it again for other toons and helped quite a few with it.
    The reward of the golden rhino was pretty nice too.

That halfling in scorched woods was a nice comedic touch.
    The caves in Lcea I didn't have a problem with but I know many did.

The faction flip took a little time but it was also pretty decent and easy xp to fill up the many many aa's we got in EoK.
    I'd happily trade the spin-stuns in droga for a second faction flip later on.
  7. Kolani Augur

Scorched faction flip is a lot easier with elf illusion, wood and dark. Once you can get the partisan task, you can do just enough factioning to get the other task, and of the races I've ran through that section, all of them were able to get the partisan with the illusion and minimal killing, if at all.
  8. Drakang Augur

Still do it for people that come back or don't have it. You will have issues in Gorowyn without it. Its virtually impossible to do End of Empires without it (group and raid). Virtually part being you just die and get rezzed at the end getting it done. Impossible if none in group have it.
    SW is the only real painful part doing the faction change. Chardok and Droga were easy if you learned the zones. Even easier now.
  9. Tiggold Augur

Meeting the Burynai in FM holding th candy heart 1hb was like freaking amazing!! I stood there for a few minutes checking him out :)
  10. Ibudin Augur

Thought it was an awesome quest over all. I too came back to the game from a very long AFK - like 8 years, and was blown away at how indepth the quest was. I enjoyed it a lot more than running aroung TBM, although TBM was kind of cool, but I came back to the game to kill Sarnaks, and kill Sarnaks I did.
    None of it was a cake walk, and I found it challenging as Necro in group gear and being away from the game as long as I was, but joined a super team of people who helped out and got it done.
  11. Daedly Augur

Can you explain how did this a little more? I have to do scorched on my cleric yet and not looking forward to the factioning.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

Different races have different base faction with the mobs.
    For example, ogres, dark elves, and gnomes cannot become KoS to the burynai. Other races cannot become KoS to the centaurs.

I haven't actually tried illusions but I would guess they give you the base faction of that race then modified by your faction.
  13. Moege Augur

Dark elf illusion with the burynai gives a positive faction jump.
    High elf illusion with the centaurs same story.

If you are Indifferent then with illusion you are Amiable, Threatening with illusion Dubious, at least that is how it worked for me so far.

Basically means you can get the mercenary quest earlier (gives 100 faction points) so swapping factions is quicker.
  14. Angyy Journeyman

Scorched woods can die in the world's largest tire fire....
  15. CrazyLarth Augur

Their are Double Faction periods in EQ and their is a Double Faction potion in the Market I think?

Each side has like 3 type of faction hits 6,10,20 but its the quests that give the most faction

1. Pre get all quests from all sides you can using the Illusions.
    2. Pick one side to raise to request using the Kill quests for that side till you have all the quests that use that faction.

(The highest faction quest for that side is +200 remember you don't finish taht quest right now it would put you +200 more killing to start doing the otehr side kill quests so save it for later but have it in your quest window. So have all that side faction quests done or started in you quest window before starting on the other side faction)

if you get to far out of wack on faction you have to kill to get in range to use an illusion to get a quest.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/faction.html?faction=664

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/faction.html?faction=663
  16. Kolani Augur

Okay, so your cleric is dark elf. Get a wood elf illusion and see what your faction is to the centaurs. You should be able to get the mercenary task with illusion if you're still at base faction without killing anything in zone. Kill just enough to get the partisan task. Once you've got the partisan, run back over, see how your faction is with the burynai (use a dark elf illusion, even), then kill enough to get the other partisan. Once you have them both active, you can run them up to the part where you follow/spy on the scout. Then can overlap both right there.
  17. Conq Augur

I liked EoTD. Still do. As a guild, we continue to help recruits run through this quest line. I also appreciate that it shows commitment (when they have it checked Yes, completed) from applicants to join our raiding guild. I have run all my toons through it (9 currently) and helped countless others with the quests, drops or just details on how best to proceed. The entire thing went faster than I thought when it was current - that's the whole expansion basically. Great way to learn the zones, especially the raid zones. It's comical to see some of the folks who have never done this try to get to raid targets in Chardok! More of this please!

Conq