EoK - Before the Siege - Mission

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Greenhorn, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Greenhorn Journeyman

Now I am gone through all quests and nearly all Hunter and be T2-ready. I thought now it is time to take a look in the last 4 missions, starting with the first. What a slap in da face - I was surprised.
    In Beta it was hard but possible to do with a Warrior going in with Fortitude and discs and burn them down with group. Now it seems this works on first mobs but the other bunches seem now as hard as the first. Did something change? After some wipes the missions feel like "waiting to next expansion or the holy raid tank grail" for help.

Has anybody a clue how to beat that mission now without a SK tank (which will be now after the SK-nerf surely interesting)?
    Did something change to make this mission nearly impossible today? Any clues to beat it?

Btw: to not being able to rezz after a wipe but instead go to GH to pay always for the corpses is really annoying. Why no rezz in instance and kicking them after that to reget them like every other normal instance? Always wait for a port to Lcea is really annyoing. And automatic kick without a rezz possibility (like the normal playing way) wouldn't hurt either...
  2. MagePower New Member

Well I think I've found a solution to your problem. First question - do you own a pair of jboots?
  3. Brohg Augur

The Kattas are pretty tough, they can tank 3 of the initial 4 (then 2 when you peel one off them, then you just grab the last pair) while your group starts killing. No need for any special defenses.

For the second then third waves, you can choose to either intercept them all outside the barriers (by far the most reliable way to get all achievments) by using a couple cooldowns each (like Fort the first group & burn, then PDH+Defensive for the second) - or use the NPCs to tank some for you while you tackle a couple at a go. The NPCs at the walls are considerably less tough than the Kattas, though, so stay hot.
  4. Rakknar Elder

After some wipes the missions feel like "waiting to next expansion or the holy raid tank grail" for help.

Has anybody a clue how to beat that mission now without a SK tank (which will be now after the SK-nerf surely interesting)?
    Did something change to make this mission nearly impossible today? Any clues to beat it?

Guess I erased the quote box!

Here we go again. Someone comes along and had a hard time and we get this. How about just type "any tips to beating xxxx?"

Play better.

I am a group geared tank who boxed 3 of 4 toons with merc healers and beat it on day 1 of expansion in tbm Grp gear which is 40k less hps than eok gear.
  5. S33k3r Augur

I always buff the NPCs first so that they last a little longer and I let them engage the last 2 waves before I start to kill the sarnaks 1 or 2 at a time.
  6. Tucoh Augur

I beat it as a TBM group geared warrior with a couple cleric mercs as healers (and a boxed mage/bard and a real necro) so you don't need a holy grail tank to do it. However you have to get fairly creative.

The two keys to victory when undergeared and with merc healers in this are:
    1. Good usage of the NPCs such that you fight a subset of the mobs.
    2. Ensuring that you have Pain Doesn't Hurt (and other good cooldowns ready) for each wave.

The basic strategy I used was to prolong the end of each fight. Once you get 1-2 mobs alive in each wave, I stopped DPS and let them beat on me for a couple minutes while I waited for PDH to repop. I don't know if having a bard enabled us to do this without healer mercs running out of mana.

When each wave (after the first) spawns, I stood back from the NPCs, and tried to pull and kill 1-3 at a time. I took all the mobs in the first wave, but maybe you could do the same strategy, not sure.

However, that was before I got EoK gear. If your warrior is T2 EoK geared and is getting rolled over, there's a serious problem. They should be able to pop some of their cooldowns (Ex: PDH, hold the line) on the first wave, then pop a different set on the second wave (Ex: Last Stand, Imperator's Charge, blood drinkers (lol riposte nerf =( ), dichotomic, anguish BP etc), then on the third wave pop PDH again.

Either they need to refine their setup, or something did indeed change. I last fought this mission around a month ago.
  7. Greenhorn Journeyman

@Tucoh,S33k3r,Brohg:

Many thanks for the suggestions. I could strangeley do that Mission in the beta and the only real problem were the first 4 hunters at Tsaph Katta. But with Fortitude and full burn it was a cake walk. So I wondered about that and thought perhaps DGB made it as hard and boring as some the last missions in TBM. But perhaps I had only some bad luck. I tried it with:

- buffed Tsaph and Lcea to the neck
    - Fortitude on and the usual mitigation rotation too (Pain is duty)
    -> took all the mobs like you suggested of the first wave and burned them down while Fortitude was on

After that we had no problems to simply take them step by step in beta. But strangely the mobs engaged nearly all and ransacked the group. That never happened in beta.

So the main wrong thinking was to not be able to pull singles/duos from the mobs. We engaged in the others waves with the full group which was not good. I assume they changed a bit from beta to live in that.There is for sure a strategic bug in our thinking. But most important: Warrior blow the most of his stuff on the first 4 hunters because we wiped on them regularly. After that there was a cooldown needed for mitigation.

Do we have time to engage in the second fight or will it start neverlheless (which I assumed)?

Great ideas I never tested:
    - getting them before they reach the soldiers
    - prolonging the last fight - super idea for recharging batteries ;)

Especially the last idea seems a good option ;)
    I will try that, many thanks.

@Magepower:
    - why?
  8. Sindaiann Augur

I have 3 boxed all group missions with the exception of Droga, and I suspect I could 4 box it with adding a bard for group DA, but that's a seperate topic.

So for Lcea group mission I use the following

SK (some tbm raid gear, 6+eok t2 grp items and 1 eok group raid equivalent chase item)
    Enc (my main and mix of eok/tbm raid with max augs minus few 34s and silver etched coin)
    Berserker (eok t2 group armor minus 2 t1 rings + tbm raid 2her (not bis from tbm)
    Wiz merc on burn auto
    Wiz merc on burn auto
    Cleric merc on reactive auto

For this mission I start off and set the zerker to auto follow my SK, hail tsaph, invis both toons and run to the location update near scorched woods. I then run them to the left side, hail tsaph again with the enchanter, and run the enchanter towards NPC you need to kill near scorched and I reset him to auto follow on my SK.

I then pull the warleader dude off the left side and down the hill towards where my toons are, eliminating the need to mess with ANY of the mobs at the base of the path to scorched. kill this guy and run my toons back to where tsaph is.

I then place my enchanter and zerker just off the NPCs where a rock is. This is where I'll pull the 4 sarnak to after I hail Tsaph.

I hail Tsaph with my SK, ae aggro the 4 sarnak, pull them off the NPCs and to my 2 toons. I burn these 4 mobs down so the Tsaph and such can't get a killshot.

After these 4 sarnak are dead I auto follow on my SK, run the SK east and out to the left a bit, far enough away no guard can prox aggro on any of the sarnaks. When the sarnaks start to come, I aggro the first one, stream the rest and pop deflection. Burns are still running from the 4 sarnak phase and this set normally dies fast. I use pbae stun on my enchanter as well as needed.

Once this set dies I run my toons to the northeast area. There is a rock that I use and setup there for the next wave. Again I do this to ensure I am not close to the guards at all. On this set I typically run a defensive disc + epic and stun with the enchanter and roll furious + rampage and such on the zerker. Ae aggro to keep all the mobs on the SK. I know you aren't using an SK but make sure you are using your harmonious spell.

Once this set dies, you win. If you do it this way it nets you all achievements. If you don't need the achievements I would say adjust the strat to tank the 2 waves near the guards instead of away/intercepting them. That is your choice.

Biggest thing is just knowing how to cycle your tank defensive stuff imo on this mission. Know your group and group dps.

Hope this helps somehow, if not shoot me a PM or ingame tell.
  9. Kravn Augur

Lcea group mission is primarily all blue con humanoids, so bring a ranger/rogue/zerker along and watch them melt.

Tanking isn't as hard if mobs live half as long.
  10. Gelido Lorekeeper

Easy solution if you are lazy: Kite =) Super easy mission when you kite them away and have someone pluck em!
  11. Greenhorn Journeyman

After many tries now we tested it outside.
    Killed the whole army in front of the named to perhaps shrinken the coming mobs but it was useless, they simply repop in the appropriate amount.

First 4 hunters were work for Fortitude. It was the usual burn.

The last mob we extended as long as possible to get the mitigation discs from the warrior and the Paragon disc from Beastlord running again while Cleric easily tapped the tank with promised heals and celestial from time to time.

The North and Eastern bunch we tried with the suggestion above. We get them before they arrived, far enough to not get aggro from the once charging the guards. Always we had about 2-3 attacking us and the others went to the guards. With that combination it was relatively easy to keep up aggro and heal on warrior tank.

The same like above - we extended the last fight so that the most important discs were online again (mitigation and paragon). Then we took the same strat on the last one.

With this combination it was a cake walk. Warrior was never in danger (he can cope with 2-3 but with 4 he needs extensive AA/Discs to tank).And also healers and dps got no aggro which happened all the time when the warrior tried to tank 4-6 mobs at once.

So with that start even the Bonus Achievements
    - Protector of House Katta
    - You be the Hero
    were possible to achieve. No deaths on the whole mission. Not even a close death from Warrior or the healers.

Great - what a difference. Many thanks to the suggestions.

Non-Ubah-Group:
    TBM/T1 geared, except Tank: mostly T2-EoK-Geared.
    Dru, Clr, Enc, Mag, Bst, War

Perhaps that helps others too who are trying to get this mission done ;)
    Sindaiann likes this.
  12. Rakknar Elder

I'm glad you won.

One glaring thing stuck out and is probably why you had trouble. Your group lacks a dps class such as wizard, monk, rogue, zerker, and ranger. When it comes to tanking all discs have durations or counters. Shorter fights help a lot.

The Warrior should have zero trouble holding agro. If he or she is then it's low AA count or lack of knowledge. Between harmonious expanse and Wade into battle the Warrior should easily lock down agro.

Do stuns work? Chanter can also chain cast group rune to get past a tough spot if needed.

Did you get all 3 achievements?
  13. Brohg Augur

dru, mag, bst, and enc all have reasonably high dps potential, especially in concert.
  14. Rakknar Elder

Yes but magically transforming the bst into a wizard would have nice AE burn for dropping the group of six without relying on guards. I'm obviously thinking about them getting these achs and the rest in the expansion.
  15. Tucoh Augur

Congratulations, sounds like you've executed that mission very well.

Just a note though, the warrior shouldn't have that much trouble staying alive with that gear and a real cleric healing. If you get stuck on an event again that'd be the first thing I'd look at revising.

You can also simulate difficult conditions for your warrior by having them switch to 2H while fighting EoK mobs. They'll not only out DPS everyone in your group, but will train them to make effective use of their cooldowns.
  16. Greenhorn Journeyman

mh.. difficulties are indeed:

- DPS
    - Aggro for War.

He used AE-Taunt, Harmonious and Wade into Battle and for additional AE-Aggro Rampage and Stormstrike Blades when the others are down. With 2HS I don't see much outdps of Enchanter and Mage but AA is only on defensive maxed, not on offensive. The Brutal Onslaught/War Stomp/War Sheols and Rampage combo is rarely used except on mass killing for farming stuff in lvl 100 and below. He rotates Pain doesnt Hurt - Brace for Impact - Blade Guardian while having Imperators Command - Harmous Precision - Field Protector - Shield Break - Dichotomious with either Fortitude-Lastdisc-Stout (depending on mob strength) active.

Aggro in this mission is sometimes really a mess. When guards get killed the hunters are swarming the group fast and warrior has some action to get them on him. Normally everything is drawn to him without much hazzle because he has Aggro-Mask Astral Phantom Mask (Echo of Anger IV) but only Honed Wurmslayer without any additional Aggro-Mod. Perhaps he should use Warmaster Dusk Sword with Enraging Blow-Aug again but Wurmslayer is a nice protector when swarmed.Even hammering on Insult, Blast of Anger, Roar of Challenge etc only gets results after 2-3 tries with these hunters, then they summon the warrior. Every other mob in EoK does not make such problems. Normally at first "call" they are drawn to our tank.

This combo so far run through Summoning of Droga Mission like butter with no deaths, only the 6min Achievement is not in reach (perhaps it is possible to kill High Priest first to get achievement and drop mission then????). Done so far only twice and both with success in additional achievements.

But Atrebes Vault is a p.i.t.a. at moment. I make another thread for that.

Many thanks for the hints. Still searching for the flaw here.
  17. Rakknar Elder

"Trigger-casts Harmonious Expanse Effect II on you, which will cause you to generate hatred in all enemies around you when single-target healing spells land upon you."

Player healers can efficiently heal sometimes w/o a lot of single target healing. Make sure you are satisfying the requirements of Harmonious Expanse.

Between that , wade into battle, and stormstrike blades (sometimes rampage to gather them up) the warrior should not lose agro like ever. Even against the new DoTs.

Also, for sarnaks in general, don't attack their riposte buff! Warrior takes added unneeded damage. Its dispellable.

War stomp does nothing. Battle leap on first mob every time you zone. Its permanent.

Once the warrior gets AAs he will bury the dps of all those classes.

Weapon stances enabled.

Brace for impact should just always be on.

Imperator's charge over command. 40% spell haste is Yuge! ie Healers heal faster.

If brutal onslaught is on War sheols get you one big hit then is gone. Don't combine.

Never use blade guardian with a cleric or druid in group. You can have only one of those class of buffs.

Field protector should always be up. Lasts 10 mins when AA'd.

Shield break is nice dps with rune. Again with sarnaks your warrior needs to be careful not to waste it on a riposte buff.

Save fortitude for oh crap moments and after flash of anger was used for first oh crap moment. Two line macro : /stopdisc then /disc Fortitude discipline. You never mentioned Flash of Anger. This is the best warrior disc in game imho. It has done so much for me over the years.

Get a Gladiator's Plate Chestguard of War to extend tanking capability.

Get a manifested etheric breastplate for extended tanking capability.

Never start (ie no target) a fight using blast of anger.

Resplendent Glory adds a heal boost.

Hold the Line adds a heal boost.

Personally I have highly personalized socials that combine things together to maximize speed.

Pain don't hurt is the main disc for tanking multiples. The rest don't come close.

"Even hammering on Insult, Blast of Anger, Roar of Challenge etc only gets results after 2-3 tries with these hunters" , i'm not sure what you meant by this.

Hope some of this helps.
  18. Brohg Augur

AE Taunt is to take agro, not make agro.

Harmonious Expanse + Wade into Battle going together is definitely overkill.

Stormstrike Blades (and Roar of Challenge) are good for initial group tags.

War Stomp is obsolete now since the buff from Battle Leap lasts until you zone.

Brutal+WarSheols is a very limited "combo". Unless a battle is anticipated to be under a minute full duration, they should not be used together.
    You make no mention of Mighty Strike discipline.

Shield Break is an offensive ability like Kick more than a defensive ability like the next section.

For a general defensive rotation, I refer you to This Thread In The Tank Class Section of this forum.

Wurmslayer's Guard does not aid you while Pain Doesn't Hurt is active. Feel free to use your Dusk Sword during that time - but I wouldn't. The proc, being random, is not super helpful.

To steal a mob that's been engaged with an NPC (or another player tank) for a while, you need to Taunt it, or use an agro-lock on it (Warlord's Grasp) and then Taunt it. If it's been damaged, it will summon you, so having Flash of Anger up is recommended if the situation it's summoning you into is a mess.
  19. Gundolin Augur

Did this with

1 Warrior group geared.
    2 BL's one TBM Raid geared, 1 alt geared. (Alliance with two BL's is an awesome thing)
    1 Rogue group geared
    1 Cleric TBM Raid Geared
    1 Shaman Group Geared.

On the wave of 4 and 6 it was pretty easy. pulled them off of the guards and killed and killed them in pairs fairly easy. I had wiped on this before when we let them fight the guards first then tried to kill them. Think the key was pre-buffing the guards and then being proactive in pulling them.