Enhancement Request: /ignore Charactername Account

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Morigaine, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Morigaine Elder

As I was shaking my head at general chat last night, something became blatantly obvious in some of the chat trending.

1) Our current political environment is a source of great contention obviously.
    2) COVID fact vs opinion is significantly contested and varies
    3) Too many people feel that Everquest general chat is their personal preaching podium.

So the obvious response is just leave general chat right? Well the problem is the game is currently lacking adequate trading tools for transactions over 2M so general chat is pretty much required for sellers to legally sell ice encrusted, LoN true rares, etc.

So as I'm sure most players can attest, their ignore list has grown exponentially in the last year. On my sever (Povar), there are individuals who have names specific to political agenda or Corona issues. People have obviously created chat alternates because they don't want to risk their main characters facing a server ignore rate of 80%.

So my question is would it be possible to add a feature that allows the /ignore command to not just ignore a specific character but rather an entire account? My thought was this might mitigate some of the spam chatter that plagues general chat every night. I know if someone is truly motivated they can create new accounts but that definitely requires more effort and if they had to do it every time, it might help.

Does anyone else think this would help and would there be any real negative impact?

DEVS: Alternatively you could enhance trade mechanics so those of us who want to simply be market aware, could leave the toxic cesspool that is general chat for good.
    Catty, VioX, Moege and 5 others like this.
  2. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

That would be awesome to be able to set Ignore for an entire account!! I've definitely added quite a few chars to ignore lately. Now that the biggest offenders are all ignored I don't see the spam very often, unless someone else is feeding the troll, then I end up seeing half the conversation lol.
    Nennius and Yinla like this.
  3. Febb Augur

Create a moderated auction channel like most servers do. Give access to trusted people to moderate the channel that only allows trading in the channel and no other discussion.

But yes a ignore account feature has been needed for a while now.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I rarely see General chat when I play, just have no mental bandwidth to pay attention to it. But I have put a couple of our server's known troll on /ignore. Occasionally, I'll see General chat from them, and then realize I'm on an alt, who doesn't have them blocked. So, another nice feature would be, letting the /ignore list apply to all chars started up from that install folder.
  5. svann Augur

While I agree with you that trolls are a problem especially in general chat, it sounds like your solution is not just aimed at the actual problem but is intended to punish the person. If you had presented it as that the person gets put on ignore and just rolls up a new troll character over and over then Id have bought it because a simple ignore wont work. But trying to get someone's main on ignore that you dont even know the name of is just a means of retribution and is not going to go over.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

I would LOVE to be able to ignore an entire account. Having to put someone on ignore, then their alt(s) on that server, then their alt(s) from different servers...that's just annoying

Like 95% of my ignore list is the same person and all of their alts because they keep making new ones on different servers and using cross server chat.
    Yinla and Nennius like this.
  7. alicard Elder

I don't think he cares if he has their main not being able to show up on general chat. He wants to not have to keep putting a new character on ignore every time they create new character on that account to continue their political views.

I would love to see this and adding it to server chat as well. I can't even login when a server goes down or patching, it is just such a toxic environment. I sometimes think the person is just being paid by the candidate just to post and never even play the game.
    Nennius likes this.
  8. svann Augur

Thats exactly what I said. But he didnt say that. He should have said what he meant.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This can be said with any forum on the internet right now, any facebook page and any blog. It is current issues and many people are very scared about the virus and sometimes talking helps.

I think it is wrong to gag or silence people if they wish to talk. Esp if the only reason to shut them up is because they are interfering with someone else's chase loot sales. I usually block the players selling. The people talking can talk all they want, doesn't bother me. But spamming every 5 minutes the same sentence over and over about your newly created guild on a different server or some hot weapon for 10 krono is annoying to me.

You can always report the names that are virus related:

1. Vile, profane, rude, offensive, or racist names, including common swear words, anatomical references, racial slurs, references to any disease, terrorism references, and homonyms (sound-alike) of such words are not allowed.

We have a couple general chats going on right now due to popularity so one could always log out and then on re logging hope to get into the other general chat.

Keep in mind that if you are seeing this in general chat then those are PAYING accounts. Free accounts cannot get into general chat.

It would be better to focus your energies towards increasing the baz limit or other means that do not limit free speech. How appropriate for Independence Day.
  10. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

There a difference between restricting someone's speech and just flat out ignoring them.
    Cydonia and Tatanka like this.
  11. smash Augur

There is the thing that, you would then be able to identify all the characters on a certain account, and that is not something that should ever be possible.
  12. Dexxeaa New Member

EDITED

I don't think you should be able to block a entire account. Mainly because I believe people can change their habits. Like learning not to use general chat to vent.

I believe in freedom of speech. Its easy to just leave general or ignore someone. Every time I vent my non EQ related opinions into general chat someone says, "I'm here for immersion and I play EQ to forget about non EQ related information" . I totally get it . I think people need to learn not to be so bothered by other peoples opinions ( including myself ).

Only time I add someone to ignore is if they are bullying people. The other non EQ related stuff I try not to let bother me. EQ general chat should not be the place you vent your opinions and frustrations. Although I've been there before and I believe my main on Mangler is on a lot of peoples ignore list. I used general chat to vent my opinions and I paid the consequences. I don't have many real life friends to talk to about certain issues, so I used general chat to vent. I've learned to not put my opinions into general chat anymore. I don't like having my character on peoples ignore list. Especially because you need peoples help to accomplish certain things.

There are websites like facebook, twitter, reddit, etc , etc to talk about politics and other things non EQ related .
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'd settle for an "ignore other servers" option to cut down on the buying/selling spam.
  14. Cicelee Augur

As I have said before, my Everquest gaming experience has been far more positive, happy and stress free when I do not join General chat.

One problem with ignoring an entire account is the main character on the account could be a potential buyer of that ice encrusted you are trying to sell. Or it could be someone in your FS, or maybe a guild officer, or someone that is the same class as you in your guild that you need to communicate with on a daily basis. You never know who it could be, and that could cause problems if you ignore those people...
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

How? Since you'd be ignoring those characters, you'd never even know about them, so how would you put 2+2 together?

And, even if it were possible, who cares?
  16. smash Augur

Simple way.

You have 2 accounts.
    You have 2 chars in some zone, lets say PoK. at same time.
    Char 1 got XXXXX on ignore using the command.
    Char 2 do not have XXXXX on ignore.
    Have log on both chars, and then after say 24 hours, if char 2 from same account has said something and you did not hear it on account , but the other do hear the say, you could find out what chars belong to same account.

And well, I care. When I play an alt, I might not be interested in having some distrurb me, even my friends. I wanna have a silent night without interference.
  17. Zamiam Augur

Silver accounts can also use general chats.. which are free to play accounts also ..I have 8 silver accounts :p

Also you do not have to log to change general channels .. a simple /leave said channel, and/or /join general(1,2,3,4) works also ..
  18. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I was pretty sure this was wrong but I tested it to be sure and I was definitely able to join general with a free account. So no, they are not for sure paid accounts. I'm sure several of the spammers use free/junk accounts to do it since they don't want to risk their main account.
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

It depends upon how you restrict it. I have ignored several people and will continue to do so in the future. If I then have/had the power to restrict their ability to communicate with others then that would be a very different thing. I would very much like the ability to ignore entire accounts. Whether or not I ever get that chance is a very debatable thing.
  20. Zamiam Augur

True Free to play accounts (ie, the big GREEN FREE label above your characters) are not able to join general channels ..

only SILVER accounts can .. so you probably have silver account and that is why you can join general channels
    CatsPaws likes this.