Enhanced Decay Behavior

Discussion in 'Casters' started by GoneFission, Mar 27, 2021.

1. GoneFission Augur

How does the Enhanced Decay (or Enhanced Pestilence for shaman) work at the upper levels where the dot addition is only 2 seconds? Since dots count on the tick, do I need 3 ranks to get another dot tick?

Likewise, after I buy the +2 second level, do the next two +2 seconds not do anything extra until I clear another 6 seconds for another tick? Two hundred AA points for another dot tick is expensive, but worth it. Spending 400 to 600 for one more tick is not worth it to me. I haven’t caught my AAs up to that point yet.
  2. bobokatt Augur

A while back they changed how Enhanced Decay works (and others). Essentially here is how:

- Multiple - AA abilities that extend the duration of damage over time spells have been changed to instead increase the base damage of these spells by the equivalent duration's worth of damage:
    - - Necromancer - Renamed Lingering Death to Enhanced Decay and changed ranks 1-3 to function like ranks 4-7.

You are NOT extending your DOT. Your DOTS in theory do more damage (as they tack on what would have been another tick's worth of damage). In theory.
    GoneFission likes this.
  3. GoneFission Augur

So in theory, that still makes it worth investing in. I had completely missed the update you were quoting.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve spent the last three months working on catching up my AAs, and this had me wondering about the description.
  4. Sancus Augur

To go a bit more into the weeds for how these AAs work, these AAs have focus "bins" based on duration. Enhanced Decay 10, for example, is intended to add damage equivalent to 48 seconds of duration extension. It has the following bins:
    • 18s-24s Duration: 200% (48/24 = 200%)
    • 30s Duration: 160% (48/30 = 160%)
    • 36s-48s Duration: 134% (48/36 = 133%)
    • 54s-78s Duration: 89% (48/54 = 89%)
    • 84-96s Duration: 58% (48/84 = 57%)
    • 102s+ Duration: 40% (48/120 = 40%)
    You can find the raw data up through ToV here. They are very strong and worth investing in, and in practice are quite a bit better than duration extension.
    Zynt, bobokatt and GoneFission like this.
  5. bobokatt Augur

Wow thank you Sancus for that. I never knew the math behind that! TOTALLY worth it. Cheers.
  6. Evurkvest Augur

You can look at the data but there will be variances in dot duration for the long dots. As much as 4 ticks and change. Dont ask me why.

Enhanced Decay should be a priority though, very powerfull.
  7. Sancus Augur

That's because detrimental duration extension (SPA 128) is actually a roll from 1% to the focus value with a floor extension of one tick, which isn't indicated in game.

That's not related to what Enhanced Decay does, though.
  8. Evurkvest Augur

Ty, i always wondered what the variation was about.