End True Box on Phinigel

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Msfit, May 12, 2018.

1. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

+1 completely
    I agree this is the most reasonable time to do it. I wouldn't mind dropping it before SoD also. And for future Truebox TLP's, I think it would be reasonable to choose an era somewhere around TSS-SoD to always drop the Truebox restriction.
  2. Hdizzle Augur

Cool another truebox thread! My favorite topic to blabber about.

This was brought up before phinny... It was a great marketing ploy to lure subs who were scared of the evil 6 boxers or whatever but clearly just made it way more extra to box anyway.

Turn it off in OOW. Prior to OOW one could just spend the extra money they’d normally spend on box accounts on Krono instead and just buy the crap they cant camp or quest with one toon.

I don’t mind giving some nerd 40 beans for a handful of krono /shrug I spend less than that at the local dispensary. I won’t dare compare it taking the wife kid out to eat one night Lol.

And before the money argument post where random person_483 expains why their life situation doesn’t allow him/her to spend money and pay to win blah blah blah. My condolences, if you don’t have 50$ of disposable income a month, maybe playing video games isn’t a wise use of one’s time?

Yes, I know this sounds dismissive and arrogant.
  3. MaxTheLion Augur

I'm going to assume you and wife kid sat down and wrote different sections of your post since those are some highly disconnected thoughts and paragraphs.
  4. Celatus Augur

Keep truebox make more friends... I don't really care what they do on phinny but i don't want to see truebox go away on Cor
  5. Hdizzle Augur

Sweet BurnDisc bro. Yeah I forgot the word “and”.

And also I meant to say “more” instead of “less” at the local dispensary. Pot heads dont type god.

Do you agree with the idea buying krono instead of box accounts or are you being combative ‘cause bored?
  6. snailish Augur

It kind of depends if they think Phinny as a live server with truebox is a sell, as-in one they can keep milking as a sub-only server.

For me, my issue is never with boxers it is the cheaters (especially those with macaroni).

So a "big capacity" live server Phinny with the other server perks in place maybe doesn't need truebox as the sell, especially if it was given the "better than normal live" XP boost.

If one isn't trying to create a scenario where Phinny is the "preferred" live server you pay a sub to play on then Truebox can be tossed easily at SoD, as others have said allowing mercs makes it the ideal time.

I'd probably concede the point that after OoW would be fine too, based on that being about the end of the time we seem to stretch most old-school progression types to if even then. As-in, post OoW most of the active playerbase probably wouldn't care anymore.
  7. Machentoo Augur

There aren't a lot of level 1-69 people to befriend for new people coming up.
  8. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

So you'd be ok with removing Truebox during The Serpent's Spine era on Phinny, but not on Coirnav? What's the difference? Nobody is suggesting removing it during classic.
  9. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Have to disagree completely there. Did you play on Ragefire? How would you compare the Ragefire classic/kunark experience to that of a Truebox server?
    Numiko likes this.
  10. Lhelith Journeyman

Brought to you by the same people who told agnarr players they knew what they signed up for when they asked for post PoP QoL improvements. You knew Phinny was a truebox server when you signed up.
  11. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Do you actually play on Phinny, or you're just trolling the thread? Of course we knew what it was when we signed up. That's why we signed up for it, and it's been excellent. Doesn't mean the costs/benefits of certain aspects of the server don't deserve to be revisited two and a half years after launch.
  12. Lhelith Journeyman

No I play on Agnarr
  13. yukan Augur

If you want to lose the truebox code, it isn't too late to give Ragefire a shot. We have instanced content now, ~3.5 month unlocks, and plenty of guilds to choose from. We're 2 weeks into Omens of War so there is plenty of time to get caught up. Some guilds rely heavily on boxes during raids, some do not at all. There's a guild for every type of player.
  14. Brumans Augur

Keep Truebox. Things are still tolerable - for non-boxers, you said how you could still find a group, even though you were mostly just tagging along? If truebox is removed, then basically everyone has to box for themselves. You won't be able to tag along anymore.

It's a truebox server. Don't go changing things.
  15. Numiko Augur

Truebox did it's job, it got rid of most of the 28-56 member box armies .. it was never intended to eliminate the 2-6 box people.

and I agree with SOD as a good point to turn it off.

... now about the Recruit a friend bonus.. ;)
  16. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Recruit a friend was such a stupid thing. Getting 100% EXP bonus forever on an account for signing up at a certain time is extremely stupid and never should've happened.

If they wanted to do that the EXP bonus should've expired after a few months.
  17. The Hated One Augur

Just end it period. People who box ...box. I box. I would box 2x the number of toons on the TLPs if it was gone. Also...half my friends have bailed as they hate the truebox code. They are suffering thru the MoTM and stuff...but truebox is a killer....and I told ya so. The single toon folks just leave...its the boxers who hold these servers together for as long as they last. Its too hard to count on 40-50 RL people to show up...but you can count on 7-10 RL folks with 3-6 toons to show up.
  18. Evil.Iguana Elder

We should be trying to find ways to reduce boxing not just throw in the towel and accept it.
    Risiko likes this.
  19. Moncleared Lorekeeper

I would also support removing of True Box at some point from a TLP. I don't know exactly what time the removal should happen but it feels like we're (Phinigel) getting to a point that it would have minimal impact on the community (which is important).

As to Bobbybick's comment, those safeguards could and should stay in place.
  20. Moncleared Lorekeeper

I personally enjoy boxing as it creates a different dynamic and challenge for me. I think your sentiment though is that the game at any given point and time shouldn't require boxing for the regular player.

The major challenge with boxing is keeping a thriving community throughout the progression of a server. Almost any new TLP starts with the thriving community and it slowly dissipates for a variety of reasons (preferred expansions come and go, burnout, etc). Once a server is created and it's rule set defined that is it; if the population fades over time there is little recourse to try and replenish it.

What kind of ideas did you have on finding ways to reduce boxing?