Enchanters still OP?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Ionscout, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Ionscout Journeyman

Wife and I had started a few months ago on Phinny. We decided to play a Cleric (wife) / Warrior (me) duo.

We pulled groups together (PUGS) many times. We noticed when we were with an enchanter it was not only challenging to keep aggro as the Tank but in some cases they said dont taunt just let the pet tank. I was not happy with that (and my guild already had an MT) so I switched to a necro. Groups were more difficult to get but at least my role was effective and not taken by a charmed pet. Not so much...as I joined raids (Naggy and the like) I found the guild preferred all DPS "hiding" while the healers healed the MT and the Ench charmed pets did the damage. I literally stood there doing nothing, and the guild was happy we won. In the end 1 Tank, 4 Healers in rotation, and 4 Enchanters did the work. I wasn't playing the game I was watching it, I quit and the wife did shortly after.

I love(d) the game (as I recall we ALL participated in the raid), im not calling for a nerf but is it still dominated by charmed pets?

Thanks!
  2. moogs Augur

It's not like this on normal servers. You won't usually get groups at all unless you start your own, but you shouldn't be sitting on your butt on any raids as a warrior unless you're severely under geared.
  3. Ionscout Journeyman

Thank you for your kind reply. So im guessing it eventually works out after the expansions come into full swing. Which is somewhat unfortunate as my wife and i were enjoying the nostalgia. We simply dont recall charmed pets playing that large of a role.
  4. moogs Augur

I have only ever experienced one raid where the main tank was not a warrior. One guild I was in a few years ago was doing a raid in Beasts' Domain and it was scripted so that several adds would spawn literally right on top of the main tank and gangbang him in about, oh, zero seconds. We did this event with Mage pets tanking because adds ignored the pets instead of insta-killing them and were successfully off-tanked by players.
  5. Ionscout Journeyman

I hope I didn't confuse anyone. I originally played a warrior and was quickly discouraged as I was battling Charmed pets for aggro or told "don't bother taunting, just let the pet tank", and the guild I was in had an epic'd Warrior as the MT. So that job was firmly taken. I switched to Necro and again was faced with ..."stand over there, were gonna use charmed pets to win this".
  6. moogs Augur

Any friends or contacts in other raiding guilds on your server that you could ask? Is that what their guilds are doing also? Is this a thing now? Cheesing the raid event and turning it into a bring your own popcorn affair is not what EQ is supposed to be, but then I've never played on a TLP server.
  7. Ionscout Journeyman

I dont want to sound like its a chronic problem...but this type of thing happend in and out of guild or PUG groups / raids. As stated above it could very well be an expansion issue?
  8. CaptainSkeet Augur

In this era, at least on TLP, charmed pets are pretty powerful. While leveling as an SK I would often be fighting pets for agro. Sometimes it is just easier to let them tank. No harm in that.

Upper game I've never seen a raid that was solely charm pet tanked. Not sure what that's about. Also, tanks rotate def discs on the bigger fights a lot, so having a single main warrior isn't going to fly forever.

Don't get discouraged, PoP and beyond sees a significant drop in charm pet operations.
  9. p2aa Augur

I recall two raids events in Sanctum Somnium from the House of Thule expansion which were not using a war to MT in my guild.
    SS raid number 2 : The essence of dreams, the main mob was mezzing tanks very fast, so the event was mage pet tanked because pets were not hit by mezz (when the expansion was current, I recall they made this event harder the next year or so by making pets not immune to mez)
    SS raid number 6 : The cages of testing, the main mob was tanked by silk casters because the main mob was coded to do way less dmg on them.

To come back to the subject, i'm playing a warrior on live servers since 2006 when I came back to EQ, and I have never seen guilds doing raid content with one single warrior. Could not be possible.