Enchanter Tips and Tricks for new TLP?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sillyfish, May 18, 2020.

1. Timgrok New Member

Don’t count on your duo to take you to max level. You’ll do better in a full group.
    Overcast451 likes this.
  2. Overcast451 Augur

That's a good point about haste too. Although - I'd be sure to keep the best haste on the main tank all of the time, if at all possible. Once you get augmentation, it lasts a good bit longer and is great for pets and others. This is especially a good help if the tank is struggling with keeping agro over melee DPS. Give the tank a faster haste and the others a slower one.

And speaking of mana.. don't be afraid to down-rank your slow if it's running you out of mana. Some slow is better than none if it's running you OOM.
  3. Overcast451 Augur

A Lot better. Friend of mine restarted recently - so I was power leveling him some. He hit like 14 in UR and was asking what next.. I said let's get you a group in PC. I think he thought I was putting him off.. so we go to PC, I get him in a group and buff the group.

14 - 23 in no time.
  4. Shiba Journeyman

Macros on your cleric are going to make or break your experience. I also install GINA and make a custom trigger for when charm breaks so it flashes on my screen and yells at me.

On charm break here is my setup that works most of the time.

Manually target the pet on your enchanter, hit enchanter macro then hit cleric macro.

Enchanter macro: cast tash, pause cast+delay, cast aoe stun, pause cast+delay, cast charm
    Cleric macro: assist enchanter, pause 20(30), cast stun, pause cast time, sit

This will pbaoe stun your pet and then chain a cleric stun on top of it. If this fails you have to manually re-charm.

Cleric spam heal enchanter macro - casts 2 (or more) heal in a row on your enchanter for "oh " moments while you mez/charm/etc.

Cleric spam heal self macro - casts 2 (or more) heal in a row on your cleric for "oh " moments while you mez/charm/etc.

Cleric root assist - assist enchanter and cast lowest rank root

Cleric assist CH - assists enchanter, casts CH, pause 105, sit (you can add a group message on cast and after 5 seconds if you are playing with a group).
    Tuco likes this.
  5. Fluid Augur

I haven't seen it yet and I am open to being contradicted on it, go AGNOSTIC! It still matters on a TLP server if you travel or quest. Makes faction much easier.
  6. Wordor Journeyman

7. Trevalon Augur

Vehemently disagree with this

While you can argue for a Druid > Cleric for different reasons, some of which you listed. The charm killing aspect should not be one of them as thats really only viable in low level zones.

If your in guk and you have a Dar Charmed, your not going to want to kill it to grab the Zol next to you, thats completely ludicrous. Most High level zones there are very specific mobs you want to charm because they are just better than all other mobs, You dont have the luxury of killing your awesome charm part every 5 mobs to grab the same exact awesome charm pet that may not be up - no, you are going to want to heal that Dar to full instead of killing it for the Zol. Which if you have ever done that with a druid is about 6-7 Heals and about 30-40% mana as compared to 1 CH...

And once Kunark comes out you REALLY are not gonna want to kill your awesome wardog or Jin wizard for a crappy krup and having CH for the charm pet is 100% invaluable as the HP of some of these pets are huge.

So, while you can argue druid or Cleric with Chanter, its not for the reason you said. That all being said having boxed a chanter on 7 TLPs now and having had both Druids and Clerics, I can say the cleric works better with the chanter, but the druid brings other helpful things like Snare and ports (sow pots are super cheap). So If you need Snare/Ports go with Druid, if you dont go with Cleric imo.
    Kutsuu and Foaming like this.
  8. Candycorn New Member

Never slow your pet haste your golems in the hole and give them summoned mage gear and weapons!
  9. Scornn Elder

1. Start Agnostic
    2. Your animation spells are your bread+butter to level up to 11, you'll have to start tanking mobs after level 4-5 if you're not in a group.
    3. Charm is level 11, congrats, you're now a real dps *Just kidding, charming at this level you wont have mana to sustain, and mobs don't do much more dps than others, keep that full group though and let them carry you to the late teens. (Good time period to get familiar with charm mechanics, and your preferred method of dealing with them, just be prepared to kill your pet more frequently than not because of you running oom from the 4th break in the last minute!)
    4. Manage your charm pet, probably the most important thing you can focus on mastering as every, single, group, will want you to have a pet. And if you are one of those enchanters who refuse, or get your group wiped you'll soon find yourself on blacklists.

Best way of managing your charm pet, without spending an exorbant amount of mana will be your first mez spell early on. This gives you time to tash+charm, I have noticed however, that when you charm a mezzed mob the likelihood of that mob breaking charm when mez breaks is increased.
    Luckily there is another option: PBAOE, you have a set of stuns and also later on a set of mezzes that will be your go to management tool after your low level mez stops being as effective. a good rule of thumb on a charm break is to follow these steps:

1. Mez, OR Tash *If planning to stun*
    2. If you mezzed first, Tash now. If you Tashed first, STUN now.
    3. Re-Charm

You'll want to use a different management tool for different levels and difficulties of the mobs you're charming. You can also have other classes help you via Snare to make it more difficult for your pet to reach you before you have time to react.

I've found there is no real boon from high Charisma when it comes to charming, you'll hear folk tales about charm being determined from this stat, but in the years i've played an Enchanter on average having higher charisma does nothing but get you better prices from a vendor.

Most important stats when considering charm is the Mobs Magic Resist and Level, a Red mob is naturally more resistant than a blue, so you will get more frequent breaks when the charm ticks to check for a break. You'll also have a harder time charming mobs that have higher innate MR than their brethren. (Difference between Wizard mobs and Warrior/Rogue mobs)

Your pet is going to be the tank of the group, doesn't matter if you have a tank with a taunt button and all the agro spells at their disposal. With that knowledge, make sure you keep tabs on your pets health, make sure the healers of the group are aware to keep your pet and more importantly YOU alive.

Depending on the content, your pet can also cause a quick wipe of your group so be prepared for some gnarly situations you didn't ever see coming. As an Enchanter you have the tools at your disposal to handle any of them, but RNG can always play a factor and ruin your night.

Mobs in Pre-Luclin content can almost always dual wield, and when given two weapons you will increase their DPS exponentially. This can make the difference of making 2 levels in a few hours of playing and making 5. Just be aware, the stronger you make your pet, the more damage it is going to inflict on you when it breaks. You may want to employ the use of Runes at this point if you venture that route. *Collect those rusty short swords ;)*

Runes are your best friend, they keep you safe, they keep you unstunned and uninterrupted, and give you that .5 second reaction time you need to get that pet under control before it instagibs you. But they are expensive, and we don't get a non-reagent rune until Planes of Power, so make some $$.

Set Audio Triggers or Gina timers for your buffs, they're low duration, and you need to manage your mana throughout your groups playtime. You're expected to rebuff, charm, CC and sometimes even slow mobs, you'll nearly always be near 20-30% mana at any given time. So make sure those instances where you get that extra 3-4 minute downtime you use to top buffs off on folks so you're not running yourself oom when they drop 10 minutes later.

Tash everything, idc if you do it on incoming or when it establishes aggro on the tank, just get a tash on it, and if you plan to raid get in the habit of tashing everything in quick succession.

When it comes to controlling the battlefield, Enchanters are the undisputed king. You can be the sole difference in a win or a loss when it comes to a bad pull. Your mez spells are incredibly strong, but not mana efficient for the levels you get them. As such your earliest mez which only last 3 ticks is going to be your most used mez spell.

Lets take a look at the numbers:
    Level 2 - Mesmerize (4 ticks, 20 mana cost, 2.5 sec cast time, recast 1.5 sec)
    Level 13 - Enthrall (8 ticks, 50 mana cost, 2.5 sec cast time, recast 1.5 sec) -- At this level, you'll have approximately 200-400 in your mana pool, which makes this spell more than 10% of your current maximum mana in an era where mobs generally die in about 20 seconds. *Useful however, for those times you need a quick pee and want to keep your pet.
    Level 16 - Mesmerization (Targeted AE *Unlimited number of targets affected by this spell*, 4 ticks, 70 mana cost, 3 sec cast time, 1.5 sec recast) This is a great spell, expensive for the level you get it, but amazing use to save your group on a bad pull. You can and will mez yourself however, so make sure you have distance between yourself and your targets.
    Level 30 - Entrance (85 mana cost, 12 ticks, 2.5 sec cast time, recast 3.75) Situational Mez for those times when your group is recovering, you need a quick afk and keep your pet under control, or for those nasty level 40 mobs in your pack of level 33's. Long recast, not good to manage incoming CC requirements. (At this level, you should have a decent mana pool that Enthrall is only using 4-5%, however, depending on your group location and composition you may be better suited using the level 2 mez still)
    Level 47 - Dazzle (125 mana cost, 16 ticks, 2.5 sec cast time, 5 second recast) Same as Entrance, longer recast delay.

You'll notice that you get a new mez every few levels, however, all of these mez spells can and will work on all mobs that aren't immune to mez itself in Classic as they hit anything at or below level 55.

You won't get mana regen buffs until level 26, which is clarity, then you really start getting desired by groups. Still useful up till then, but not as effective without that mana regen.

*Use your charm pet to help you CC, to do this, send your pet in on your first target in camp which will establish aggro and you know that mob won't move, cycle to the next mob and proceed to lock them down.
    **Make friends with the attentive clerics you encounter, and any tanks with good reactions that know how to taunt without damaging a mob to allow you to regain control are a boon to have.
    ***Know your limitations, Enchanters are, in my personal opinion, one of the classes with the highest potentials. You can do nearly anything under the sun if you're inventive in your thinking and you're open to new approaches. Every situation can be different and a tailored response, you'll learn these through time which actions are best to take. And in the situations you find things didn't work out it's always helpful to assess your own actions you took, and look for possibilities in the toolkit your provided to have a better outcome next time.
    ****If you're going to raid, be prepared to rune the tank, tash/cripple/AND WEAKNESS the mobs, slow as needed, and get familiar with the zones you're going into so you can help control the trash clears.

My spell bars generally look like this when grouping:

1) Rune
    2) PBAOE Stun
    3) Charm
    4) *Interchangable slot
    5) AE Mez*Interchangable
    6) Long duration Mez
    7) Tash
    8) Single target Mez

Raids:
    1) Rune
    2) PBAOE Stun
    3) Cripple
    4) Weakness
    5) Slow*Interchangable if you have shamans ontop of it, put quick mez here if so.. this will usually be the case
    6) AE Mez
    7) Tash
    8) Long duration mez

Gear wise focus AC - Health - Int (Until 220) - Mana. All of your gear is always going to have Int, and Mana on it. No need to really focus on either of that stat as it will come to you naturally, but you should opt to go for the higher AC usable armor/shields for the silk classes because lets face it, you're gonna get smacked at some point, and you should be able to take a few of those smacks because you're not always going to be 100% prepared for something. You may get less effective AC than a different class but every little bit adds up overtime and eventually you will outlast your counterparts that just increased their mana pool and ignored their AC.

As an Enchanter, you really don't need a huge mana pool, and if you're good you're never going to be full mana anyway.

Oh and do your level 44 Tash spell quest, it's very imporant.

PS: Be ready to be bored, and a buff mule on raids for the majority of the classic era and when you have clerics or wizards that want haste for their one-time use pets you'll know you have made it big.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

Both for the pet.
  11. JooJooFlop Trainer of Trainers

Aren't charm pets easily the largest single source of damage in classic raids?
  12. Ebine Augur

On TLP charm pets are kind of largest source of damage. You don't last long as an enchanter with charmed pets because the hate is transferred to you. mitigation of the mighty isn't kind to enchanters with charmed pets on raids.

I see where a lot of people are using pbaoe stuns. I always used whirl till you hurl.
    I guess if you were soloing or duoing with a tank pbaoe stuns would be best but
    if you have a tank I would have whirl till you hurl spell up.
  13. Hinastorm86 Augur

Yes, especially any that backstab. I recall the rogue gargoyles in hate being absolute monsters.

But many bosses in classic AE dispel. You can still use charm pets against them, but it takes some planning and positioning and paying attention.
  14. Sillyfish Elder

True, very lame looking.

But we're enchanters and we have Illusions. I can be a sexy Dark Elf anytime I want!

If memory serves, the illusion incorporates your worn equipment doesn't it?
  15. Tucoh Augur

Im up to level 37 now, doing pretty well and cutting through the content. Only problem I'm having is my charm pets don't hold aggro all that well. If im just grinding mobs down with them doing most of the damage it's fine, but if im in a group other dps will easily pull aggro or if we pull multiples and my cleric heals he will pull aggro. I always give the pet one weapon and keep them hasted.

Other than charming yellow mobs that deal more damage, is there anything I can do to improve my charmed pets aggro?
  16. Daimos5 Journeyman

The recent decrease in dps from the charm changes have made some impact on a pet's ability to tank or pull aggro off others. Over the weekend in the Hole, the majority of the time my charm pet could not keep aggro as well as prior to the change. Admittedly this was with charming a rogue pet, not a golem.

I'm interested to see how this changes goes forward through the expansions, as mobs/pets hit harder.
  17. Megazen Elder

You've obviously never spent time playing both combos.