Enchanter pet nerf

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kryshael, Jun 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinlail New Member

I think most of you are forgetting that pets used to be able to break mezzes so charming was very rarely used in groups. Once that change was made charm became extremely powerful. 20% is not enough to cry about without even seeing it in action. This will be forgotten about in a month or less.
  2. Buddi Elder

I have always mained an enchanter since 1999. I have had an enchanter to at least L50 on Tallon Zek (to OoW), Fippy (to TBS), Lockjaw, Vox, Cornaiv, Agnarr, Mangler and Selos. My main server now is Phinigel (launching TBM today), but I also have a three box on Rizlona that I am actively playing.

I am always Buddi, the Erudite enchanter, so I am guessing many of you have had encounters with me of some sort. If not, maybe you will at least respect my resume. Here are my observations:

Back in the old days when we had corspe runs, enchanters would not charm unless they had a Cleric in the group. However, they were always welcome to groups due to their CC and buffs. There really weren't many enchanters who could effectively CC and charm simultaneously then. Once we got KEI in Luclin, the buff attraction kinda went down since you could just get KEI in the nexus and go XP for a few hours.

When I came back to the game for Fippy, it took me a little while to adjust to being expected to charm. It is sooooooo much easier now than it was in 1999. I don't know how the many things they have done to the game have interacted to accomplish this, but I know it is simply a fact.

I have mostly three boxed on these TLPs, with little grouping. I don't even use charm unless I am grouping with others with my other two toons logged off. The enchanter class in a full group is simply not a good class to box with, you must focus on your CC duties and charmed pet.

Animation pets are good enough up til L30 or so, but the enchanter has to be the puller in those groups. Enchanter pulling skills are far too under rated, you'll find an enchanter pulling in LDON groups will prove it to doubters. They can line up mezzed mobs for the group to beat down without a lull in action. They dont need to charm there to carry their weight.

Enchanters are also the best class in the game to do tradeskills. Ask anyone who does pottery if they can do anything useful without the help of an enchanter. Did you ever try to sell jewelry that was made with unenchanted metal? How about Wus? Anybody want a Stein of Moggok?

Anyway, I always wondered why anyone would play any other class. Glad you guys finally figured it out. 20% to charm, who cares.
  3. Dragonsyph Journeyman

You could pull 60 mobs and run in a tight circle killing them all with ur aoe songs, now bards songs do no damage when moving so yes it’s nerfed.
  4. Gnothappening Augur

Yeah I remember when that became a thing. I think it wasn't until PoP though that it was called swarming. Prior to that swarming was pulling a bunch of mobs and charming one and letting it nearly die. Again, my memory might be fuzzy on this but I think that is how it was.

Wasn't CoD the big area for the bards doing the aoe song thing?
  5. MaestroM Augur

Does this mean Enchanters can't do anything they could do before? Seems like the answer would be "No, things just take a little longer--might have to throw in an extra nuke".

I'm an enchanter and I'm okay with this.
    Thalliius likes this.
  6. Tucoh Augur

I was leading a solid SolA group that was mostly spawn-starved and a rogue asked for an invite. I figured there was no harm but told my group that I was hesitant not because of rogues being underpowered but because anyone who chose a rogue on launch was probably daft or super new.

Dude died two times running into lava trying to get to us and then logged off.
    Alekyne, Thalliius, Creedmonk and 2 others like this.
  7. MaestroM Augur

That's not swarm kiting. That's AOE kiting.

Swarm kiting is, and always has been, gathering a manageable sized train, using proximity aggro only, charming 1 mob in the train and having it attack a mob in the train. The train assists and "swarms" on the mob. When the mob is low, charm is broken and the pet is chanted down.

Source: I played a bard on live from 2002-2005 and wrote a lot about swarm kiting.
  8. Gnothappening Augur

Not sure if this is just a fabricated story or not. Thing is, I could see that happening :)

Had a buddy back in the day that always played rogues. It was so bad when mage pets couldn't hold aggro any more as that meant he and I couldn't duo.
  9. LoggiE New Member

Should have been 40% honestly, Charm pets do way to much dmg to the point they make melee dps classes look like chumps untill PoP
  10. Gnothappening Augur

See, that is what I was talking about. I don't know when swarming became the aoe thing in people's minds.
  11. Kontra Augur

Enchanter charm pets will still outdps any player even with a 20% nerf while charmed. Not the end of the world.
    Thalliius likes this.
  12. Dragonsyph Journeyman

It’s called swarming period.
  13. Dragonsyph Journeyman

So your jealous? I bet you were ok leeching the exp.
    Creedmonk likes this.
  14. Moranis Augur

The idea that there's any substantial "risk" in charming with an enchanter is laughable. If anything, nerfing charm hurts Kunark Druids the most as their only hope of getting a group was in Chardok contingent upon charming a dog.
  15. speeech New Member

The Majority Asked you to Fix your game issues, They did not ask you to make changes to necros chanters or any other class for that matter ( The Majority )

All the chanters that are heartbroken can Blame ( Glow ) for this nerf like hes the afformention person on the class
    Tronin Evenshade and Creedmonk like this.
  16. Sufferance New Member

We're seeing action from three of the factions. Those that are angry at the nerf are posting in defense. Those that are glad about the nerf and would like to see it even worse are posting on the offense. Those that are okay either way and just want piece are posting much more rarely than the other two factions previously mentioned. Then there's the fourth faction, the one who started this war, the one who benefits the most at our infighting. This is only a distraction to get us away from being angry at them for allowing their services to be subpar. We're all in this together folks, but one group isn't.
  17. Pircilis New Member

Funny looking at the enchanters complain about this. Enchanter charm is extremely OP. Not only do mobs do exceptional damage, charm lasts full duration or a very long duration the vast majority of the time. There's literally no clench factor anymore like there was in vanilla. Enchanters are pretty much the cruise control button now.

Alongside damage nerf, we another nerf to the break chance of charms.
  18. Fenixe17 New Member

Playing an enchanter me and my friends have been laughing the last week that the group is just support the hasted charm pet. Tanks just pull they don't tank because the pet has 4 times their hp and c-heal is really efficient. 20% dmg will really not hurt in the grand scheme of things and it is a step in the right direction to bring their power inline. I would prefer to play another class but with the way things are groups are just support the charm mob or you get inferior XP so enchanter it is till charm is balanced. I have died 2 times to charm and that was not the charm alone but a charm break as 2 mobs enter or spawn in the camp and you get interrupted trying to stun. These people talking about getting 1 rounded are not playing the game right at all. Do you use your runes? What kind of gear do you have on all cha and int with no ac or hp? What is your healer doing when mobs are hitting you? It is really easy not to die lol
    Thalliius likes this.
  19. OliverQ Elder

Wonder if this will reduce enchanter demand at all.
  20. Thalliius Augur

Its a nice start, but we clearly have more work to do. Up next, AE stuns!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.