Enchanter Disabled Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Anduven, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Anduven Journeyman

There's an idea for the next TLP.

Lots of people would cry at first but I bet you it would be incredibly fun, challenging, and enjoyable. You'll need to increase EXP rates a bit because the average leveling speed will suffer TOO greatly. Enchanter charm or AE groups probably account for 80%+ of all experience gained on every TLP.

Please comment, upvote, or whatever with your support.
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

Take monks out too, no reason afk auto attack should top every parse. Actually, let's take this to it's natural conclusion, next tlp should be rogue/wizard only.
  3. Falafel Lorekeeper

Funny thing is every server, for boxers, you're gimping yourself by not having an enchanter for a long time, so you have one and build around it. Then later on charm dps disappears and you have to re-do your whole setup. I honestly wouldn't mind feeling not forced to have an enchanter.
  4. code-zero Augur

If this ultimate enchanter nerf existed no doubt some other class would soon be the "must have" class and you'd be back where you started.

Paladin would be the only allowable tank/healer as Clerics and Shaman are both "overpowered"

Wizards and Druids would be banned because evac and succor would be considered overpowered on a server like this.

My experience playing a bard informs me that bards would need to go too since they also have decent charms if a bit short.

If Ragefire/Lockjaw taught us anything it's that Magicians are overpowered.
  5. Arctodus Elder

Well, I was an enchanter from launch to near the end of Luclin and charm use to be no where near it current power. Revert it to how it use to be, fixed. I will say this thou, be prepared for an enchanter shortage. Raiding as an enchanter during those days was boring. You tash and buff, yep that was it. Tash also would not give you the faction hit, so you had to mem the dot and attempt to land it before trash died.

People try to tell me charm was always that strong an no it was not. Anytime you were able to charm something fun such as giants for Avatar fight it was nerfed. You use to be able to drown players on RZ and that was nerfed.

As a world first raider for a guild we went from 4 enchanters to me and a box alt by mid Velious. It was a boring, thankless class to play during the early era's. Bards before their nerfs wre better charmers as well. Anywho good luck trying to get folks to jump onboard with this idea
  6. code-zero Augur

@arctodus; IIRC from way back then the issue with bard charm was the drop in range from 200 to 75 with the level 70 charm. That did hurt but could be worked with. They didn't think it was nerfed enough so with TSS you got the 6 tick or 8 tick durations which is even more painful. Oddly enough what that did do was make charm burning and charm kiting a more viable technique for killing mobs
  7. TheChosenOne Augur

Lol so many heads would explode… tons of people use OP chanters as a crutch in this game, or a tool to krono farm
  8. Slaytanik Elder

Why don't we take out necros too so they can't farm item camps and bully those xp groups out of their camps? I mean why stop at Enchanters.
  9. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

And shamans since they can ebolt too. And druids because they can port and that's not fair. And so can wizards, so we don't want them.
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Midnitewolf Augur

Enchanter Envy again huh?

Since you like this one so much, I have another suggestion. How about a Server that also bans the most OP class in the game, Clerics.

I mean if Enchanters trivialize content then Clerics do even more so because there are many camps that you could get by with out a Chanter, than you almost desperately need a Cleric. I play a Shaman right now and I can tell you without a doubt that in places like the Hole, having just much Shaman as the main healer gets shaky at times but the second a Cleric is in place, things move like clockwork. Hell in most situations the parties I am in want both a Shaman and a Druid to back up the Shaman if no healer is present or vice versa. Crazy how OP a character must be to require 2 characters of the other healer class for a group to feel as comfortable as having only 1 Cleric in the group. That is easily more OP than what the chanter brings so lets make it a real challenge and have the only healers be Shaman and Druids.

Sounds kind of silly huh? Now re-read your post about Chanter. Sounds kind of silly huh?

Another odd tidbit for you. Back on Brell Serillis server in probably 2000, chanters were a very, very rare creature. I am guessing this was because at first glance on paper they seemed very weak combined with the fact we didn't have 20 years of refinement and hindsight and dozens of guides and videos detailing how to play a chanter. For whatever reason relatively few people played chanters to higher level and relatively few of them seems to have clue how to play one well. Further, no one else had a clue how chanters worked, and it was kind of risky relying on one to play well. As for charms, everyone was afraid of a chanter charming and it was banned by most groups which on hindsight and after 20 years of refinement, was due to straight up ignorance.

To get to the point, grouping with a Chanter back in the day, at least on my Server, was a very rare occurrence and guess what? We all did just fine without them using things like Root for CC. Ironically this works almost as well for CC as Mez, when, out of necessity, one has practiced it enough and other players, out of necessity, learned to not just stand there like an Idiot, as a rooted mob beat on them.
    Stymie likes this.
  11. error Augur

I kind of doubt that. The overwhelming majority of pugs I've joined on early TLPs have been traditional groups and most of the pug enchanters I've grouped with that try to charm end up being more detrimental than anything, probably the cause of 80%+ of all group wipes. Competent enchanters are rare, and most of those are just off 3-boxing with their cleric and mage or whatever by themselves.

AoE groups are a separate issue from enchanters, those are mostly RMT PLing services. Plenty of ways they could be dealt with without effecting the rest of the game if DBG decided to.
  12. Brildon Augur

I know plenty of box groups that get on just find without a enchanter even early on.. Selos I played a SK/SHM/BRD/MAG never had issues, Thornblade I play CLR/WAR/BRD/BST still never had issues.
    Enchs can be OP sure, but you dont NEED them if your half decent at the game.
  13. sadre Augur

At some point, this game looked at itself and said, let me make a happy class for people who want to be every woman's dream, every man's hero and enchanter won the RNG.

It's huge game breaker, what they done did. Charisma used to be worthless. Now, it leads many a poor boy to an early grave. I don't know about you, but I seen enough of this buff-charm-tank-ae class. I reckon I'm done with it now. I'm a LAD away from not even being able to play a wizard.

See you in heck Johnny Yank

See you in heck Johnny Reb
  14. LeetKronolord Journeyman

It still is, don't let anyone fool you and tell you otherwise, it is worthless.

Good enchanters break the game and make it trivial. good enchanters are scarce. Sometimes your enchanter will be a liability trying to charm because he can't grasp that the re-charming routine is Stun > Mez > Tash > Charm. That's why most modern MMOs don't have anything like it, at least not the full toolkit on a single class.

And as some people said, you don't "need" one, even in the hole, but as the levels goes up a good enchanter is the difference between xp flying and xp treading, starting from Lguk.

As for the suggestion, no, it's silly, everyone want a another free trade server.
    sadre likes this.
  15. sadre Augur

Well, the whole group needs to work for charm to work, I think. And you can work it a couple ways.

In the TLP era, always used just tash-charm and had hotkeyed messages to healer and tank to look sharp. The stun-mesmerize was for an emergency.

But personally, I think one only has so many 6+ hour stands at hiero-emperor camp in seb w/ the same charmed pet in one's tank.I mean, it's fun for the first few dozen camps. Then it drives you crazy.

It's a younger man's character now, alas. My bladder shall not abide all day keeping pet.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Arctodus Elder

Do not buy gut busters while playing an enchanter.