Enchanter 3box?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Kindred, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Kindred Journeyman

Thinking about starting an enchanter and most people seem to recommend charm soloing as a level up strategy but I kind of just want to have a box crew that I can play when I'm on. I've tried grouping with guildies and they're generally inefficient or don't seem to care about upgrading their gear. While this might seem laughable since I'm still wearing rough defiant as a level 75 enchanter, the prices on my server for Elegant Silk Defiant is ridiculous. Is there any recommended items to get such as the 1.0, 1.5, 2.0? I know other classes get these with varying priorities but I want to be sure that I'm not overlooking the basics. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I like the enchanter dots and I remember back in the day that Dandin made a post but it was when the nukes were the greatest asset. I'm on LIVE server not FV.
  2. IblisTheMage Augur

If enchanter is your core choice, it would make some sense to add int casters, since these stack quite well with an enchanter.

You could go mage, wiz, ench, and have two wiz mercs and a healer merc. You would be able to fulminate wiz alliance, tank with pet and runes, cc, evac, coth, etc. You would miss track, so that is less optimal. As you advance to high AA levels you would drop dps mercs, they would cost more xp than they add...

You could go ench, druid, sk, and either heal with druid, or have one of your mercs be a healer. Dps would be lower, but much better tanking, less glass-cannon-style, you would have track. Not sure if mercs can trigger druid alliance...
  3. Verily Tjark Augur

EQ is broken...

Just group 2 mages with the ench and win the game.
  4. Kindred Journeyman

Broken? Win the game? I just want to get to max level, then decide what to do after that. I read a post from someone that enchanters trivialize the game, but I know that is not meant that they are overpowered, but that a versatile enchanter goes a long way. I'm also duo'ing with a Necromancer, so at most 2 mercs, is Wizard still on the table or will it have to be something else?

Friend: Necromancer
    Box A: Necro 99, Shaman 90, Druid 94, Cleric 70, Ranger 80, Monk 74
    Box B: Warrior 70, Paladin 82, Shadowknight 30, Magician 62, Beastlord 71
    Box C: Enchanter 75, Bard 99

Revisiting my 99's seems like cheating so I don't necessarily want to play them, but I think playing two Magicians would be overkill and potentially rob me of utility when I keep hearing that one magician is sufficient for most content.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

Some might underestimate how squishy a tri-mage group is without a real tank. When I crawl(ed) in Howling Stones (3 mage, bard enchanter), I would very regularily wipe very fast, or at least loose a toon or two, before the enchanter had it under control again. Yes, properly setup with ISB, I can break 400k dps without burning, meaning that I can take on most group content. However, if I engage a single cactus in OT too close, I wipe. Squishy. Getting the right setup with ISB is a puzzlemin itself, and has taken quite some time to build the experience to do it ok. Focusing on a single mage does not surprisingly give a much better “pr toon” output. For grinding AA, it is fine. For doing progression, well it takes effort, and one has to smile when one wipes. I have bound my box right next to the corpse summoner, and I buy 5-10 of the soul thingies at a time.
  6. Verily Tjark Augur

It all depends on your play style...
  7. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

As others have mentioned it all depends on what you want to be able to do, how easy you want that to be and what you enjoy playing. Having a tank, healer, changer core opens up the game for you to do as you please with and you can easily add others to the mix to help you out if something proves to be a challenge. At the end of the day though you want to play what you enjoy or you’ll burn out.
  8. Outlander Engine Elder

You've got the enchanter mage druid trio there. Try that out. I really enjoyed it. The mage and druid box really well if you set up your macro's intelligently, which will let you focus on your enchanter. You can kite, charm, reverse charm, and dungeon crawl with them tagging along.

If you pick up a tank, charming and reverse charming becomes really difficult. Plus you will spend more time behind the tank then the enchanter. Same with the beastlord/monk/ranger options.

Start by using your druid to get your mage up to level 70-75. That should be quick. Then group just the enchanter+mage with a cleric merc. Hit the daily HoT zone quests. Maybe use the druid for 'ports and SoE until you get a feel for how those two work together.

Only reason I swapped the mage for my warrior is I like melee more than finger wagglers.