Empires of Kunark - Feature Request

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by LDEffectsMe, Oct 11, 2016.

1. LDEffectsMe Augur

Okay, so let's get the obvious out of the way. EverQuest hasn't seen a new class since GoD and there hasn't been a new race since TSS. Chances are we'll never see a new class again. New races would be a possibility, but are also unlikely.

New Class / Race is typically an expansion seller for most MMO games. With each passing expansion, the list of features gets a bit leaner for EQ. (And it's understandable, given that resources get more limited for the game as time goes on.)

So, back a few years ago there was a vote for adding new Race/Class combos. It was a popular thing because something substantial to the base game of EverQuest was changed. For the first time, Wood Elves could now be Beastlords. Guktans could also now not only be Monks, but their monks could choose to worship Quellious. For those familiar with EQ since the Legacy of Ykesha era, those mix up what we all knew in our heads to be true.

So then, on to the point here. This next expansion is about Kunark. That means that this expansion should have something to do with the Iksar. Why not give some of us a reason to replay the lower level game on the Live servers?

Please have Empires of Kunark open at least one new class for the Iksar.

The ones that I believe would make sense from a lore standpoint are:

- Iksar Berserker - This is just a crazier offshoot of the warrior. Iksar are fierce enough to handle it.
    - Iksar Cleric - Cazic-Thule already has Clerics in Paineel, why not Cabilis too?
    - Iksar Rogue - The Iksar should definitely have scouts of some type that patrol in the surrounding swamp lands undetected. Plus, Kunark has a lot of locked doors, why don't their inhabitants have the ability to open them?

Out of the list, Iksar Berserkers make the most sense. If you disagree, then you've clearly never been attacked by the Troopers in the Field of Bone who hunt you down relentlessly.

If you really wanted to go crazy you could add Iksar Druids and Rangers. It would be interesting to see evil Druids and Rangers running around.

Any class would be possible, especially with Crescent Reach Drakkin opening up all Human classes to worship Veeshan. (Including Necromancers...) So, deity is a weak argument from the existing lore now.

The Iksar are a really cool Race and with the game returning to Kunark, I think they deserve some love again. I'm not at the end game currently, but I would definitely buy this expansion if I could make an Iksar be a class they couldn't be previously. It seems like a simple database change to make (other than flagging class items to include the Iksar as a race) and it would give people like me a reason to buy this expansion that is geared at end game players.

Ideally, I would love to see new Race/Class combos unlock as expansion themes fit them.
  2. moogs Augur

Nothing wrong with this request other than it coming a few months too late to be included at launch. Creating a new class is pretty much out of the question right now, but new race/class combos are something that should be revisited in 2017.

"a simple database change"...not even close.
  3. snailish Augur

I've long been in favor of more race/class combos, specifically for Iksars.

I think they should be "retroactively" added into the progression timeline. This makes no difference to the live servers by the way. I think all the Cazic Thule lore from House of Thule to Rain of Fear lends RoF as the natural point to implement new Iksar classes (all followers of Cazic Thule only) as follows:

Iksar Clerics based out of the shaman guild. Skullcap quests add cleric usable.
    Iksar Paladins also based out of the shaman guild. Cudgel add Paladin usable.

Iksar enchanters out of the necro guild. Skullcap add chanter usable.

Iksar Bersekers out of the Warrior guild. Pike add Zerker usable.
    Iksar Rogues out of the warrior guild. Pike add rogue usable... though you could give them the skullcap too to mix it up... give them both! Ignite rage...

I wouldn't add Rangers, Druids, Magicians or Wizards, but I would make the cudgel ranger and druid usable, skullcap Druid, you could either give mages & wizards the skullcap as well (though that is a lot of classes on the same quest chain) or consider revising the beast claw to have a clicky pet buff that mages can click too.

Most of the item stuff is a few database flags (aside from changing the BST claw).

For TBM (following up TDS events) I would add more Erudites: Prexus Warriors, Rangers and Druids. Cazic Thule wizards, enchanters, magicians, rogues, warriors.

For EoK I would add High elf monks and Rangers (FV fallen outpost lore connections to explain it) and Dark Elf Bards of Inny.

I'd go back too:

Underfoot: Dwarves of Zek (SK, War, Zerker, Rogue, Cleric, ranger, druid)
    SoD: Bristlebane humans that can start in Qeynos, Freeport, Neriak (should be okay in Foreign) and Rivervale.

or such... (Vah Shir monks, druids and paladins... they had deity on Sullon Zek server).
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

this is just what everquest needs, more Idea Guys. those sure help

meanwhile, they cant even afford the manpower to add a level increase. but more ideas, please! give us all your ideas!
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I mentioned this elsewhere, but this expansion doesn't really include the Iksar really. As such I really don't think this is the time for anything like this. Now if the Iksar were one of the Empires then I could see it.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Critts Augur

Iskar Wizards would also make since just look to the hole in the Field of Bone. I don't think theses types of changes really involve that much effort as far as development goes but they do add a lot to the game.
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

The brood of kotiz assuredly would deem that heretical and would kill any wizard on sight.

That hole in the Field of Bone was created by Jaled Dar crashing to the ground after he and Emperor Ganak simultaneously killed each other.
  8. Critts Augur

I prefer to think it was made by a wizard blowing something up as Ganak Sathir was indeed a wizard. In fact if you do the FoS 3 raid that is what happened Ganak ptetty much kills himself and the Dragon with magic while leaving a hole in the wake. It's been a long time since I did that raid but if I remember it correctly the dragon was bone by the time it landed.
  9. LDEffectsMe Augur

While I don't have any idea how "real" EverQuest works in the back end... I do know that Emulated servers are able to add new Race/Class options and even add Guild Master NPC's and Spell vendors (something the Wood Elf Beastlord and Froglok Monk even lack) to the game in less than a day.

I'm not trying to downplay the amount of effort that would be required. It's definitely not something that could be done in an hour, but I think it could reasonably be implemented by a single of developer that knows the back end database well and the script to enable items for a new Race in a week. (For a SINGLE new option, that is.)

Of course, I base this assumption based on what I've seen the emulated versions of EQ pull off. For all I know, real EQ could work a lot differently, but players make this stuff happen in what I perceive as a similar product quite quickly.

Bottom line is, this is a Kunark themed expansion and they're missing a golden opportunity to play on nostalgia if they don't do something to bring attention back to the Iksar. Plus, people were begging for Iksar Berserkers before Gates of Discord even launched and we still can't play them. o_O

All I'm saying is, I'm not an end game player. As of right now, this expansion has every feature except the familiar key ring aimed at end game players. (From the looks of it.) Adding a new Race/Class combo adds something that feels substantial and doesn't require any new assets. Plus, it's content that can be enjoyed at level 1. If they locked the new combos to the new expansion, it's another bonus you get for buying it. (And a reason for people like me who aren't at level cap anymore.)
  10. Koveras Elder

Not surprised, some races deserve to have another class selection or two, or even three at one point to another.
  11. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Modern MMO's at launch allow all classes (in most cases) to be all classes. Then, they gender and race lock new classes.

The work to do so is more than we realize I think to unlock all classes to all races - cultural items sounds like a nightmare. But, I think it would be cool if they did it. :)

Dark Elf Rangers, etc would be fun for some.
  12. Zalkor New Member

I think the Drakkins should be able to be a beastlord..... i think that makes the most sence since they are part Dragon..... Why not give them a dragon pet......
  13. Lisard Silly

playing EoK beta, the Centaurs have migrated to the kunark zones. This should of allowed the Iksars to gain knowledge and skill from them to become

Iksar Berserker
    Iksar Druid
    Iksar Ranger

Iksars are not known for the Light (good/holy/ect) spell casting so cleric is out the window. I could see some Iksars being sneaky Thieves maybe. and 100% on berserker, Its Time alrdy lol. I mean we have flipping Wood elf beastlords lol.

While we are on the topic, Outside of the above, there are reasons certain races cant be certain classes and I/we understand this. its part of the lore. but there are some Race/Class combos that should work in todays EQ's lore. esp with all the Time warping/alternate Timeline/Aliens being intro'd into the EQ world lol. these are the ones that should work, even in the lore aspect of everything.

Human Berserkers
    Human Shamans
    Human Beastlords
    Drakkin Beastlords
    Drakkin Shamans
    Vah Shir Monks
    Troll Necromancers
    Halfling Bards
    Erudite Bards
    Erudite Monks
    and the classic Dark Elf Ranger
  14. fransisco Augur

anyone who wants a inky ranger is just wrong
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Gukta Beastlords, they have both the parent classes no reason not too....with Mosquito pets!
    Critts likes this.
  16. fransisco Augur

thats just wrong
  17. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Agreed. Never bow down to the mindless legion of Drizzt wannabes.
  18. -wycca Augur

I haven't seen Drizzt name knockoffs in quite awhile on TLP servers....I hate to say it, but I think we're getting old, and/or most MMO players don't even know who Drizzt is anymore hardly =p.
  19. fransisco Augur

HURRAY!
    The sooner Drizztzztztztztzt is dead, the better
  20. Rumlebrag Elder

Druid Iksar? Sounds very wrong, Ikkies are not goodiegoodies...

Iksar Enchanter? absolutely possible, would love to see that.

I'd love dark elf rangers... heck if frogs can be monks then that is a GO as well.

Would love to see several more race/class combos.