Edit Button

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Darchon_Xegony, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Hatsee Augur

What would make sense is a free 30 minutes to edit it, and after that point it adds in the text we used to have pointing out that the post was edited.

That's about the only trade off I think anyone should offer, we need the ability to edit posts well after we made them. Not that you said differently, I'm rambling.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I am quite certain that you are wrong. On the old forums even edits were saved for mods to look at. People did not "hide" their calls for nerfs by editing them, nor did banning on the old forums stop threads calling for nerfs. Not being able to edit your posts isn't going to do squat to the increase the signal to noise ratio.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Regardless of what they do on all the other forums, the recruitment forum should be unlimited edits for the first post.
  4. Ishtass Augur

Wiki those rules, just allow showing previous revisions.

But since we probably have no control over that, I'd say allow editing.
  5. Ronthorn Oakenarm Augur

I agree with you 100 percent
  6. Yther Augur

I didn't read the whole thread yet, but a simple solution for guides, is to allow Post #1 unlimited edit time, if that is do-able. I'd rather be able to edit all posts though, as I keep most of informative posts (not usually the #1 one as it's a reply to a request for info) updated over time.

Yther Ore.
  7. Ishtass Augur

Are these forums a third party software or custom for Sony? If they are third party, we're tied to whatever mechanics are built into the forums, and creative custom solutions are lost.
  8. Abazzagorath Augur

Agreed.

Not being able to edit those is going to make those a nightmare to deal with. Guilds might as well give a general blurb about themselves and then just post a link to their own recruitment page with the way its set up now.
  9. Caudyr Augur

At the very least, the first post in a topic (created by the topic creator, heh) should always be editable. I could live with a limited edit timer on replies, but the initial post should be able to be edited by the person who posted it, no matter how much time has passed.
  10. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Topics have a 20,000 character limit. When formatted my guides run over that limit :( and I have to break it up into multiple replies.

Really, it isn't that hard to conceive allowing editting all the time on all posts... Like basically every other forum ive ever visited. It honestly feels like this is a mistake / setting they didn't properly set. Because this current 30 minute rules doesnt make sense.
  11. Hatsee Augur

It doesn't make sense.

Seems like someone over there fell in love with social media and doesn't realize what forums are.
  12. Cakvala Augur

Cant resist but... aren't forums the first generation of social media? :p
  13. Hatsee Augur

Carrier pigeons.
  14. Laronk Augur

But then again people edit their posts to remove parts of a conversation and make it so a thread makes no sense.
  15. Darchon_Xegony Augur

And... ?

People do lots of things that make threads make no sense. It shouldn't penalize those of us who want to make guides accessible to all who read these forums or those of us who like compiling new expansion information / spells etc.
  16. Dre. Altoholic

This is much less of a problem than being unable to edit informative/announcement/recruiting threads.

No edit throws the baby out with the bathwater.
  17. Xnao Augur

Make external guides and put them in your sig. Then The Great SOE does not have to change their forums to accommodate you PLUS you get no limits on what you do!

Win-Win for all!
  18. Elenwyyi Augur

So we should prevent people from making some of the very best, most informative, most community-oriented posts in order to better facilitate some of the very worst, least informative, poorly written flame wars?
    JERUS likes this.
  19. Darchon_Xegony Augur

If only I could make external guides for beta that the devs will read feedback on so they can fix bug and retune unbalanced things...

It isn't accommodating me... its conforming to the standard setting that most all forums have. The ONLY forums I've ever been on that didn't allow editting, was a Rants & Flames section of forums, which I grasp. But this board has no need for a RNF section and ergo no need to block editting.
  20. Yther Augur

You could simply not allow deleting, if that bothers you, where you have to use strikethrough to mark stuff out, and can only add new stuff. However, I can easily visualize a scenario with tons of mark up / strikethrough for typos and the like, looking something like my before spell checker english papers that I also didn't manually spell check.

Yther Ore.