QA In Progress Early TLP headshot AA ranks not working as intended.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Boze, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Boze TLP complaint factory

Ranger Headshot AA on Aradune is procing at a rate of approximately ~0.1 PPM. Per Dev team's previous comments and changes on headshot, the intended rate is 2PPM:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/game-update-notes-february-19-2014.208298/
    "- Ranger - Headshot - Changed all levels of this ability to function on enemies at the purchase level minus 1. Reduced the proc rate to approximately 2 per minute for a raid geared player."

A couple years ago Headshot rates were decreased for ranks 1-4:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/game-update-notes-august-15-2018.250902/
    "- Ranger - Fixed a bug where the trigger chance for ranks 1-4 of Headshot were not consistent with ranks 5-31."

Per previous Dev chat (via Elidroth) this is the math for headshot:
    https://eqresource.com/misc/fullchatlog.txt
    "Proc chance is a function of your base hardcapped Dexterity / 35 + Heroic Dexterity / 25."

I think what happened is when y'all reduced the rate for ranks 1-4, the estimated Heroic Dexterity was based off live-era 400+ hDex which is not possible at the levels or expansion eras where ranks 1-4 are used. Basically, lower ranks of headshot are performing around 20x worse than intended.

Quick log pull. Not the best because there's a gap where I camped out, but this is 6 procs total from ~56 total minutes of combat.
    [Thu Apr 29 11:24:52 2021] You shoot a Broken Skull adherent for 27720 points of damage. (Headshot)
    [Thu Apr 29 11:25:58 2021] You shoot a Broken Skull adherent for 27280 points of damage. (Headshot)
    [Thu Apr 29 11:32:17 2021] You shoot a Broken Skull adherent for 27280 points of damage. (Headshot)
    [Thu Apr 29 12:51:22 2021] You shoot a Broken Skull adherent for 27280 points of damage. (Headshot)
    [Thu Apr 29 13:19:57 2021] You shoot Dulein Gedasai for 27280 points of damage. (Headshot)
    [Thu Apr 29 13:29:34 2021] You shoot a Broken Skull adherent for 27280 points of damage. (Headshot)
    Tharizdune, xaga, Bobbybick and 4 others like this.
  2. Progress Augur

Looks like the decimal was accidentally moved or the dev team forgot that TLPs don’t have heroic dex gear to help the proc rate with the earlier ranks.
    Boze likes this.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

Can't find the post to reference, I remember seeing a post from a dev saying the current levels headshot is at is what is now currently intended, regardless of the previous stance before headshot was changed.
  4. Kodachi Augur

It was atrociously terrible on mangler too. Its a joke/novelty and not worth spending AA on until you have run out of useful things. Honestly, 6 procs in an hour seems high compared to what I would see.
  5. Kibeth415 New Member

I did not play a ranger on Mangler, but most of my group time did have a ranger or two around because they were super FOTM at that point. I distinctly remember the proc rate being so low as to be startling when it did happen, so any logs showing it was something at or below 1% would not shock me at all.
  6. Progress Augur

I play a ranger as a main and currently at max AA for level 61. I think headshot is very underwhelming right now considering the level and humanoid limitations. I was averaging a proc rate of 1 in 15 kills which is pretty bad considering you have to kill dark blues instead of yellow cons at the 61 level. I understand a nerf was needed due to the proc chance when using a machinegun bow but it needs to be looked at again if it was changed to a PPM.
  7. Darkrok42 Apprentice

I just wanted to concur with everything said here. The OP was well researched and the math and proc rates shown match up very well with my own experience. That is, approximately 0.1 PPM at 305 dex at level 65 with Headshot Rank 1.
    Progress likes this.
  8. Boze TLP complaint factory

Get a dev comment on if low proc rate is intended?
  9. Boze TLP complaint factory

Some more numbers. 6,445s of total combat against mobs that headshot can trigger on (trolls in LoY zones, all 58 or lower), ended up with 34 headshot procs on 5,419 archery attempts with a 24 delay bow.

Level 65, 305 dex, 0 Hdex, headshot rank 1.

That's roughly 0.3 PPM (still well below intended 2 PPM) or a ~0.6% chance per shot.