Druid or Shaman?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by leland, Aug 15, 2018.

1. leland New Member

Hello everyone. I figure since many of us cannot log in I would post a question I have been pondering for 3 days now ever since I came back. I last played in 2000. I use to play an enchanter. I play on the progression server the newest one, and I am trying to decide between a shaman or a druid. I feel like druid is cool because of the ports, track, forge, and they can do a tad bit of everything accept rez.. But im struggling also with wanting to be a shaman cause they can buff and heal, but the biggest thing is slow.. I love slow. ( if its the same from back when I played last) I do like to group but some times I only have an hour or two to play so I like to solo as well and both seem to be good at it.. I would play an enchanter again but 1. theres like a million of them already, and 2. I was going to try something a tad different. I know ports are a decent money maker sometimes but I figure in 4-6 months pok will probably be around and then ports are not as important.. I am looking for some experienced players opinion on the strengths and weakness of both classes to help me understand them more and what they can truly do themselves.. Thank You all. It is good to be back.

Leland.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  2. Klydon New Member

The druid has been my main since I started playing in 2000. I have played a shaman off and on and recently played one on the progression event server.

Part of it depends on what you wish to do on the server. Both classes have their strengths and weaknesses and it also depends somewhat on the other players attitudes for the given class.

Druids are the better choice for soloing (can either root dot or snare kite dot while shaman are usually stuck doing root dot with with no snare, etc). Druids are also better healers and nukers. As you mentioned, the druid also has the advantage in terms of mobility with porting and also evac, etc. Tracking isn't to be underestimated either.Druids are also a jack of all trades in that they have a lot of buffs, but also a weakness is they have no buff that is the best. However, having access to regen, strength, movement, damage shields, etc when someone else isn't around is an advantage.

Shaman are more group friendly, have the better set of buffs, and also have alchemy that they can work on as a exclusive trade skill. Shaman can credibly solo, but not as easily as a druid. I have a true two box set up and I paired the shaman with a necro on the progression server and it was a very disgusting combo. :) The thing to realize with a shaman is almost all your spells are slow casting. The other huge advantage a shaman has is mana regen with the can line, especially once you get the AA. As you mention, shaman are kings of buffing and debuffing as well.

Hopefully this helps and enjoy whatever direction you decide to go with.
  3. leland New Member

It does somewhat, but what about the shamans slow? Doesn't that make them able to solo very easily or am I thinking slow is greater then it really is specially high end?
  4. Finfan Augur

Actually at level 59 Druids get Incarnate Anew which is a rez.

Oops! I bet that hasn't happened yet on a progressive server. Never Mind!
  5. 3rdblindMouse New Member

I recently came back after 17 year absence. Used to main a druid to 65.

Created shaman on corinav, love it too pieces, grab a duo partner and there is not much you can't do. Just an example shaman + monk warlord room in KC, try doing same with druid, not gonna happen.

On plus side for druid - druid has charm animal - amazing for some zones. Druid also has mobility.

(i have 2 acccounts Shaman + Druid best of both worlds)
  6. Outlander Engine Elder

Use the druid fire / attack debuffs and DoT's. They are surprisingly equivalent to slow.