Druid’s ability to recoup mana

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Jack, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Jack Elder

Oh, you mean shaman ~_^

I by no means begrudge any of the other priest classes their tools of the trade. Would just like to be more on par with them.

There's no reason they can't remove the timer tying of our heals and leave them for other spells. They certainly had no problem doing that for shaman.
    kizant likes this.
  2. Wulfhere Augur

Yes, and no I haven't been.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

Druids have one recent spell line that they can stack and does group heals and just about nobody uses it because it's relatively weak.
  4. Allayna Augur

I'm assuming you're talking about:

[65238/2406046] Saprophyte Assault Rk. III
    Classes: DRU/119
    Skill: Alteration
    Mana: 2530
    Restriction: Cancel on Sit
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Unresistable, No Sanctification
    Can Reflect: No
    Can Break Root: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 3s, Recast: 36s, Rest: 1.5s
    1: Summon Pet: PCSwmDruS24L119SporePurRk3 x 1 for 34s
    2: Decrease Current HP by 1
    3: Stacking: Twincast Blocker
    Book: Pet/Sum: Swarm
    Summons a sporali ally to attack your target with Saprophyte Strike III for up to 34 seconds and provide a small amount of healing to the immediate area. Type 39

[65244] Saprophyte Heal III
    Target: Caster Group
    Range: 300', AE Range: 125'
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Casting: 0s, Recast: 6s
    Hate: -1
    1: Increase Current HP by 12560
    Text: You are cured by glowing spores.
    Heals allies around you for up to 12560 hit points.

[65241] Saprophyte Strike III
    Target: Single
    Range: 300'
    Resist: Poison -36
    Can Reflect: No
    Casting: 0s, Recast: 6s
    Hate: -2100
    1: Decrease Current HP by 27627
    2: Cast: Saprophyte Heal III (v374)
    Text: You are struck by a burning blast of sporali venom.
    Poisons your target, dealing up to 27627 damage, and heals allies around you with Saprophyte Heal III.

Loading (wasting) 4 spell gems on that I still have cooldown on re-use. The heals do not crit and are a flat heal.

Also....they can be damaged and die early.
  5. Wulfhere Augur

Yes that line

Only 3 spell gems for level: 109, 114, 119 do heal. The first one (99) only does damage.

Yes they take damage and they can tank briefly as with swarm pets. Their poison nuke draws aggro on them and tactical use of them in an open area can provide a reverse kite, as they are stationary. They have a couple of curious use-cases, including afk/boxed druid group healing, and they are mana efficient.

Yet they are weak spells that do not earn a spell gem for most druids, let alone 2 or 3 gems. I suggest that they could be re-tuned to solve some druid shortcomings. As it stands they represent those failings instead.
  6. Allayna Augur

You'd be incorrect.

[Tue Jan 10 22:00:28 2023] Liljit`s pet healed you for 6794 (7041) hit points by Sporali Heal III.

[Tue Jan 10 22:00:33 2023] Liljit`s pet healed itself for 0 (9393) hit points by Chytrid Heal.
    [Tue Jan 10 22:00:37 2023] Liljit`s pet healed you for 7096 (11392) hit points by Saprophyte Heal.
    [Tue Jan 10 22:00:43 2023] Liljit`s pet healed you for 0 (8539) hit points by Fungusoid Heal III.

None of which can crit heal. 11K heals are not the answer bub.

Even incorrect, it is a non-utilized "niche at best" spell. WTB splash. WTB un-linked direct heals. WTB Heal over Time...

Getting a lil tired of arguing semantics with people who don't understand the class... or the spells they suggest.
    Sabreinah likes this.
  7. Wulfhere Augur

Right. I was remembering that the heals didn't work on mercenaries and misspoke on that point. The first ones being level 89 and 94 and they don't have heals.

Support my old bug report

Druid Sporali Heal bug
  8. Jack Elder

Listen, I'm not asking for alternative ways to use the spells we already have. Spells that are so weak in today's game that even stacking 4 them together barley equates to one heal spell. There's a reason we don't use them. I'm not asking for gear, AA, and achievement paths I can take to make my toon useful by 'being a more completed' toon. Which I have done because I've been playing her since 2005. I'm not asking for people to tell me all the ways druids should be shafted because DPS!

I am addressing a serious druid issue here. If you think that druids have to sacrifice a reliable way to recoup mana after dying or during a mana draining event because they can do some dps, then you really need to go look at the shaman class. Or better yet, play a top end raiding druid struggling to get back in the fight after someone blows an emote and kills you.

Again, what have druids ever done that they should be punished while every other casting class, be it dsp or priest classes, get at least 2 abilities to recover large chunks of mana to quickly get back in the game, while we have to rely on OOC medding and a pet that can easily be killed.
    Sabreinah likes this.
  9. Petalonyx Augur

The druid sporali pet got me killed so much in the group game that I dropped it for that reason and never looked back (swarm pet would aggro things while pulling or after using fade/coth). It also felt like it didn't heal much or anything.

Bad spell on cramped spellbar.
    Allayna and Jack like this.
  10. Szilent Augur

the first bit about 2 abilities in every class is still not the case from when you posted it incorrectly in the OP

I can find no evidence of the bear being killable in my logs. do you have any record of that happening, in yours?
  11. VerranaFV Journeyman

Whether or not the bear can be killed doesn't make it any more useful. I believe it's 5-ish minutes the bear has to be alive to give you around 10K mana. Divide the total by the number of seconds it is alive and that should tell you how out-dated it is. IF druids only healed, it may be more feasible, but that is not how they are built; just one cast of the "Horde" line at level 120 has a base cost of over 20K mana (the same goes for Nature's Wrath and Chill lines as well). This "mana recuperation" ability gives Druids enough mana for 1/2 of a DoT cast, or 3-4 heals. This is very much not in-line with the way other priests (and honestly most other classes) perform.

I have been experimenting with two different druids and changing their specialization schools, as well as implementing the specialization augs (given these have no stats other than the skill mod, it's honestly a disservice to lose heroics and clairvoyance, but that's neither here nor there), and while it has showed VERY minor improvements, it doesn't do nearly enough to bring the mana expenditure vs. mana sustainability more in line with where it should be.
    Sabreinah, Jack and Allayna like this.
  12. Szilent Augur

It is alive for one minute, returning 21349 mana.

Stop saying wrong things.
  13. Allayna Augur

Stop misrepresenting the data.

It is usable once every 5 minutes. Whether it is alive for 1 min or not, you get a grand total (mana over time + mana at the end of 1 min of 21349 for rank 3)

Let's make an equivalent comparison to Canni V for the use over 10 min.

Druid bear : 42,698 mana returned over 10 minutes.

Canni V : 460,000 mana returned over 10 minutes.

Keep skewing though.
  14. VerranaFV Journeyman

OK, so the bear is "alive" for a minute or whatever, big deal, it's still usable every 5 minutes so the cool-down is still five minutes. You don't get extra mana from it during that time, but you are restricted like it is still active. So, my 5 minute time frame still stands. Also, I was going by the level 115 version as that is the level druid I have been playing. Either way, with as many people who bring this up as a concern regarding Druids that should make one pause for thought. Shammies can pretty much outperform druids on any day when it comes to sustainability, and I can say that from experience. I do not play a cleric, but I have been told that clerics are pretty much endless mana these days as well in most situations.

I get that Druids have different capabilities and excel in some things that other priest classes do not. I'm not trying to argue to give them an unfair advantage, and I'm not saying they need something as strong as Canni. My point is that the options available to them need some attention and/or be reworked to be more on-par with today's game. The only way the Devs are going to take notice is if we engage in conversation about the shortcomings of any class.
    Sabreinah, Jack and Allayna like this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

So I am genuinely curious why a necromancer would not use this spell. Here is my side of the debate-

It looks like the spell gives 1500 for 4 ticks every minute, resulting in 6000 mana every minute (numbers rounded). So assuming the necromancer casts it once per minute, over the course of a 10 minute event it gives everyone in your group 60k mana. I also do not know if the spell is focusable (extendable) to longer than 4 ticks, but if it was by another 2 ticks or so... that is even more mana. But for arguments sake let's just say 60k for 10 minutes.

Now, your best caster group is probably druid, chanter, bard, necromancer, magician, wizard. Everyone gets everyone's synergy and spires and all that fun stuff. I know on raids that druids and wizards hurt for mana and go OOM a good amount of time. I also see bards run OOM as well from insults every other cast. I also don't know if Atrophy works on bards, so I won't presume that. But I would like to think that druids and wizards would appreciate 60k mana every 10 minutes. And while I get the concept that the six second cast (would it be 3 seconds with spell haste?) could be used for another DOT; however, what is the loss of not casting that one DOT every minute? Takes another 8 seconds for named to die? Your parse is lessened by 3%- still finishing first, mind you. What is the gain? Two raid members have mana to do something and feel productive. They could be casting their own DPS spells with that extra 60k mana to offset most of your DOT damage you could not cast because you casted Atrophy instead. So raid takes 2 seconds longer to kill named? Would a raid be happy taking 2 more seconds to kill a named in order to give 2 OOM classes another 60k mana each? Or is it all about the necro parse and to heck with other raiders?

And if bard mana bar is improved with Atrophy, my debate grows significantly stronger- more insults resulting in more synergy damage for all. And if the 4 tick duration is longer because of focus, then more mana for 2-3 mana starved classes.

So I am curious why the spell should never be cast on a raid. It seems to be useful and helpful for two classes, maybe three. Isn't that worthwhile?
  16. Marton Augur

What did ROTE necros say when you presented them with this question?
  17. Allayna Augur

I'm betting they weren't willing to sacrifice their own DPS to bump the mana of the group.

Which circles back around to druids not having abilities of their own, to recoup mana like the other priests/casters.
    Sabreinah likes this.
  18. Spacemonkey555 Augur

You'll never cast it while burning so there's quite a few casts gone already, it won't help over half the group (doesn't help bard as far as I can tell, almost nothing does except rod), does last about 8 ticks, and the net result of casting would probably be someone else does 5 million damage worth of spells later instead of the necro doing 5 million damage now. There's some rare times when you might not want to cast another dot on dying trash that you could squeeze it in, but it's probably a lot more useful for a guild that takes 30+ minutes per event and has many players going dry halfway through, but then you're dragging it out more pulling the necro off their dots. Bit like asking a mage to mod rod early in an event, just with much less payoff and you have to keep using 10% of your casting time on it instead of one and done for 15 minutes. Don't forget the global cool down to go along with the 4.26 second cast.

You're also choosing to skip a 25% chance to up your next 25 dot ticks by 75-200% with proclamation for blood if you cast random utility spells instead of proclamation, something that also does damage.

I'd save it for mana starved grouping where I don't want to cast a dot in the mob's last 30% anyways (and even there proclamation is more fun), and maybe for mana drain events where people lose a ton of mana early on, but that hasn't been much of a problem lately.
    Jack, Marton and Allayna like this.
  19. Cicelee Augur

So just so I understand clearly...

Atrophy lasts 8 ticks, so it gives 8k mana per minute back to group (not counting bards, which I figured as much). I completely agree about not using it during a burn, so I ask how long is the necro burn last- 3 minutes? I don't know. Which still leaves 7 out of 10 minutes where you could cast it, giving 56k mana back to the druids and wizards in the group. And if the burn is less than 3 minutes, maybe you get an additional cast so you look at 64k mana back to wizards and druids every 10 minutes.

The big highlight, however, was the line about the damage. A necromancer not casting Atrophy could do 5 million damage, whereas casting Atrophy means other classes can do 5 million damage. That sounds like casting Atrophy has no effect on duration of raid event- does not make the event slower, and what it does is give two classes who would be OOM and frustrated that they cannot do anything... now it gives them 56k plus mana to use and feel productive and contributing. Am I correct in that understanding?

If so, then it seems purely from a personal selfish aspect why a necromancer would not cast Atrophy to give their group members 56k mana. They are more concerned with their parse than they are helping their group. If I was a wizard or druid, I would be mad if a necromancer was not casting Atrophy. And maybe I am confused and not understanding everything (I admit it), but it seems like if the raid event is finished at the same time with or without Atrophy...

Why wouldn't you help out your group and cast it?

Also apologize for taking OP off track, sorry.
  20. Marton Augur

So you are not going to tell us what the necros in your raid said? I wonder why.

Edit: sorry for derail mods, this should have been a stand alone thread.