Dru/Mage/Chater trio, who can I drop for a Necro?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Fuglyman, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Fuglyman Journeyman

Hello Everyone,

Title says it all, I really want to get a Necro in my trio but to do so someone has to go, I could always 4 box I suppose but three is really my comfort zone.

The Mage is my main and not really a choie.

The Chanter is really only used for Clarity as even into my 50's I don't slow alot.

The Druid is my backup healer and porter and SoW'er, I really get spoiled with this guy.

Who do I choose?

PS. The AA's we get at 51 that give Mana regen, is 4 or 5 points (or whatever the max is) the same as Clarity? Clarity 2?
  2. Riou EQResource

I would dump the enchanter and just keep it up on levels whenever you're free for it to buff your other toons
    BlankStare_001 likes this.
  3. Falos Augur

Well in some ways you lose power if you 4 box (unless you are very good at 4 boxing, or automated I suppose but that's another story that I dislike) BUt adding a 4th box will basically cost you a merc slot, so in many ways you kind of break even by adding a 4th unless it's a buff bot or has some specific ability you are in dire need of.

That being said, Necros were basically the best class in the game to box but post RB nerf they are just another decent dps box. Assuming you do not do a lot of old raid content / instances that do not allow mercs then personally i'd drop the druid, Guildhall ports + pok really take away some of the edge druid ports give, your necro will be able to take a small part of the burden off merc with his self only RB group heal proc from casting DoTs and a necro's boxed dps will be way better than a druids boxed DPS.

If you do do a lot of instanced content where mercs aren't allowed then I guess i'd say drop the enchanter, slow as you mentioned isnt a really huge deal with pet tanks, chanter buffs and debuffs are nice but not absolutely must have at this point in the game. An enchanter box will boost the DPS of a necro + mage more than a druid box will.
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

I'd drop the Enchanter as well, but if you're boxing the 3 casters is much easier than having a melee to control.
  5. Numiko Augur

if your just using the ench "just for clarity" then you are not using it to its potential.

I 4 box the same group and I dont know what I would do without my ench, it just gives you that CC that the rest of the group does not have and brings a lot to the group besides crack.
  6. Caudyr Augur

Yeah, it'd either be enchanter or druid. If you want to be 'safe' and don't want to 4 box, then it depends on what you want to do.

If you don't heal with the druid, then drop that for the necro and keep the enchanter, while learning to play the enchanter in their capacity as adps (once you get the buffs and stuff) and CC.

If you heal, or plan to heal, with the druid, then drop the enchanter and just watch your pulls so you don't have to CC beyond the necro's Pestilent Paralysis (when they get it, of course). ;)
  7. JERUS Augur

Enchanter offers CC/Debuffs that are actually quite nice and worthwhile.
    Druid offers heals and travel
    A healer merc can sub for the heals, but there isn't a merc to take over in any of the roles enc does. So imo it's a choice of the easier travel or the CC chanters offer. CC is necessary for some stuff.
  8. Riffen New Member

One idea is to level up the new necro on the Chanter account. If you keep both the same level as the Mage and Druid, you can use the Chanter for difficult fights where CC is required and the necro for higher dps grinding on regular content.
  9. pk76 Augur

i would drop the chanter as well....... CC ,??? ....... humm so easy to not get adds with a druid snare and mage coh .
    and if you see some mobs coming to you camp, just send the druid to agro snare them and coh back to loose all agro, or use the aa druid root who send the add away .

you can even slow the mobs later with your necro, change the mobs into undead and then you can slow them.
  10. silku Augur

I dunno, I find that the chanter brings a lot more than just CC to the table. Single pulls of any zone. Spell reflects are underutilized as well in most groups. Stuns, debuffs, etc. The way I do it usually is pull a mob, engage with my other two characters, go off and pull another. Bring it back, mez it and debuff it. As soon as the other mobs dies, my other two engage again. etc etc. Now CoH definitely makes pulling viable without the chanter, but with the chanter you have stasis, friendly stasis, etc to help make pulling that much easier. Not to mention tash debuff for your extra dps inc, and mana reiterate/twin cast auras. Now if you really want some massive dps, the chanter can charm as well and that just gives you that much more.
  11. Fuglyman Journeyman

Does that actually work anymore? I read somewhere it did once but not now?
  12. Fuglyman Journeyman

Who is your "main" in this group? for me it's my Mage, but I really should use the Chanter for that when I think about it.
  13. Fuglyman Journeyman

Can anyone answer the question about the Clarity AA at 51? how does it compare to Clarity?

Really starting to think about getting a 4th account, why limit myself?
  14. Riou EQResource

They stack together, it isn't one or the other, every bit helps over long sessions
  15. Numiko Augur

I can't really decide to tell the truth! .... I love all my Characters.... my Druid has the most AA's .. just over 3K .... the mage and ench have about 2500 each, the Necro is a more recent addition, just has 1200 or so AA's. If I ever go raiding again, probably would go with the Druid.
  16. Gannen Elder

Druids also offer some good debuffs,

Level 91-95 debuffs: and these stack with each other:

Grip of Ro Rank 2: Decrease the ATK by up to 183 total, Decrease AC by up to 43 total, Decrease fire resist by 75
    Encompassing breath Rank 2: Decrease AC by 71, Decrease cold resist by 100, Boost Cold Damage by 9 percent.
    Silver Frost rank 2: Decrease ATK by 156, Decrease AC by 52.
    the blazing sunray DoT, does another 103AC and 67 Fire...

Those four alone, not including other debuffs, the attack goes down by more than 330, the AC down by 269, then the fire and cold resists go down as well...

Skin to Foliage rank 2: increase fire based nukes by 9 percent damage (which are big numbers on mages and necros) 24000 nukes get a boost of 2k+ per nuke...

let alone the buffs, the skin spell has a mana regen built into it that works with necromancer manaconvert, then there's the unfettered growth buff, which adds an additional 11000 HP for a few minutes...

the spirit of the bear AA, which adds up to a minute of another 10k HP (and a 10k heal), as well as a 60percent increase to dodge for that min.

The Hide of the reptile defense proc buff also helps, when it goes off it does almost a 4k heal, and a debuff on the target.

on the other side of the druid/enchanter

The Enchanter has a lot of debuffs as well... besides slow (which the 93 slow is a combination of the slow spell, also the cripple line with a 6 minute timer when maxed out decrease str dex agi by 219 each, and AC by 90 and decrease the Dual wield by 12percent), there's the spinstun, as confusing constriction, which lowers the chance for the target it lands on to hit by 9 percent with all skills... or mental contortion which does even more...

I actually do the same trio Druid/mage/enchanter. the debuffs can be a good set...
  17. Numiko Augur

I usually send in the pets, have my Druid cast fire debuffs, then a couple of Dots or the nuke'n'heal spells, the mage starts with swarm pet, and then Fire Nukes (debuffs are in by then) the Enchanter tash/slow and its Dot's. and the necro just toss's in 4 or 5 dot's then add in the Druids and Enchanters Aura's which is another consideration and most things are dead before the Dot's stop running.
  18. Fenthen aka Rath

I'm really hoping you have a hotkey to /pause #, /cast # for each character. =P