Dragon Hoard

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Warpeace, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Warpeace Augur

Why is this still maxed at 200 slots total?
    Andarriel and Nennius like this.
  2. Morigaine Elder

I was thinking about Dragon Hoard the other day after realizing I had forgot it even existed. This expansion feature from last year feels like a completely wasted effort. Are people really using this feature? At 125 slots default, I am curious what the use case for dragon hoard even is. If it was a massive storage bank, it would have made a great tradeskill storage mechanic but lacking the ability to search it (unless at bank) and the tiny overall size (even with market purchases) really makes this feature an inferior option to using housing plots and crates for storing materials. The lack of utility on this feature is made even worse by the number of bags available from hunter achievements. Most people I know were joking about how the last thing they need is another bag to store in all their bags.

Would be very appreciative if a Dev could comment on the state of this feature and whether there is a roadmap for actually making this useful or its just another feature that will fade into obscurity due to misdirected implementation.
    Svann2, Raptorjesus5 and Iven like this.
  3. Velisaris_MS Augur

Because it's a band-aid solution to a larger issue that they cobbled together and threw into an expansion as a selling point. I doubt we'll see any further development of it.
    Fanra, Annastasya, Wdor and 1 other person like this.
  4. tanith Augur

In theory, it should be useful, but there are so many niggles that it's really not...
    It needs to be much bigger (right now, it's just like a big bag, that you can't search except at bank etc)
    Odd 'rules' need to go (why can't I put an augmented item in there?)
    I'd be interested to know what people actually find it useful to store there
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I always figured it was a technology "trial run", where the focus was to see if players could have storage that didn't add to the cached memory footprint.
    Personally, I think it would be a good idea to convert existing housing storage and banking to dragon's hoard tech, if it was an advantage to server performance. I would gladly trade the find feature for a more responsive server...

Maybe the 64bit upgrade made that particular bottleneck go away. So that dragon's hoard tech is no longer needed? :confused:
    klanderso likes this.
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

All good comments.

However, needing to be at the bank while searching, along with no /outputfile hoard, are what killed it for me, and would make me not want housing added.

I did suggest that since it can only be accessed while at the bank, they could have the list of contents dumped to a special client side file which would be updated only when at/closing the bank, searchable along with your inventory and bank with the Find Item, which would eliminate the server performance bottleneck.

I have never heard back from Darkpaw about these ideas.
  7. Szilent Augur

/outp inventory does include it, making just such a local text file, if the player uses the command with the Hoard open

the function isn't automatic, and that file isn't searchable in-game.

interestingly, containers in the Hoard create output lines for their compulsorily empty contents slots, and wearable items for their compulsorily empty augment slots.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

My view:

Default is 120 slots. That is larger than any other bag I have yet to find in the game. To me it is just another bag in my bank.

You can purchase more slots to bring it to 220. But the additional 25 slots for $14.99 - to do that 4 times to get the extra 100 slots would be $60.00 - not happening.

They were supposed to come out with enhancements to it like being able to quest more slots like the extra merc slots - now those were cool but I stopped at 4 cause really, what would I do with more merc slots lol. Who knows? That style Dragon Hoard quest may still happen. I hope it does.

Bottom line for me is that I have these choices also:

Make another F2P and load him up with whatever bags I can - but have the hassle of logging into him if the bags are not in shared bank

Or I can just make that same F2P alt, buy a plot with him, buy a house with loyalty and set permissions for all my herd and store 500 just in the house. I don't use crates - waste of rent money when you can just make another character

What I store in Dragons Hoard? Potions from all those guide events that I never use, HF Armor that is overflowing from the HF keyring, (don't get me started on the stupidly of the few slots on that one) low quest parts that I need to hold onto until I get the rest of the quest stuff to do the final combine.....my ex's body. :D
    Ileasa and Treage_Imminent like this.
  9. Szilent Augur

Dragon's Hoard is wonderful, I just wish it were 20-50 times as large.

The current incarnation has been made only incrementally bigger than the Beta environment tech test, instead of scaled up by orders of magnitude to be useful to Live characters.

I would love to dump nearly all my real estate storage in there
    Dark_Pheonix, Ileasa and Ozon like this.
  10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Yes, I'm aware that /outputfile inventory includes Hoard items while it is open.

I would like a separate /outputfile, since it has the problem that you do another /outputfile inventory while Dragon's Hoard is not open and it overwrites the previous one and now it no longer has your Hoard items in it.
    Wdor, Nniki and Szilent like this.
  11. Iuwene Augur

I put all the fish in that remained from maxing baking and fishing. But now I am afraid of opening it again because of the terrible smell...
    Wdor, Dark_Pheonix, Ileasa and 5 others like this.
  12. Swiss Augur

I don't like how you can't search it and the other downsides mentioned, but it is nice having 125 more bag space. I just put in stuff that I will almost never need to have but can't bring myself to destroy lol.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Because they are selling more bag space as perks for $$.
    Ileasa likes this.
  14. Szilent Augur

good observation, the overwriting is a problem. automatically generating a separate file locally each time the Hoard is closed would be good.
  15. Fenthen aka Rath

No trade stuff, but generally weapon/shield augments when I swap stuff around. I use houses as "closets" to store sets in. On Firiona, the hero's forge is all tradable, so you equip to wear or for the achievement, and put it back in the "closet" when done.
  16. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I toss all of my weapon ornaments into it since I tend to have 2 of any I can equip for matching outfits. Freed up functional space in bank for me that way
    Wdor likes this.
  17. Aanuvane Augur

You can create a social (ok I know there is another thread about needing more socials) and custom name output files - /outputfile inventory [file location/name] so that you could custom name it to indicate it contains the hoard items and then just use the standard output for inventory refresh without the hoard items.

I personally have a custom camp button for each character that saves off an output of inventory and real estate for each character when it camps so that I always have a fresh output file. That being said, I'm only using Dragon's Hoard on one character for foraging piles I don't have the heart to destroy. I don't find it useful for tradeskill items generally because I tradeskill across several accounts/characters and share my tradeskill supplies with friends if they need help to 350.
    Wdor and Elyssanda like this.
  18. Shea Lorekeeper

Someone mentioned putting old 'don't want to delete' quest type items in Dragon's Hoard so as a returning, long time away, player I decided to look into it.

From what I can find, it looks like if you purchased the CoV expansion and had all access you should have 125 slots and could purchase another 125 with the DB coin things.

Upon returning, purchasing the latest expansion which gives me access to all previous ones, and re-subbing for all access I have 0/0 slots available in Dragon's Hoard. I'm assuming I don't have the initial 125 slots since I didn't actually purchase the CoV expansion and from everything I've read, in general it's not worth it to spend the DB coin and getting 125 slots of it. Not sure if that would open up the initial slots or not.

If I'm missing something here, would love to know what!
  19. Soulbanshee Augur

Correct, it was only part of the purchase of the expansion bundle and not the expansion itself, which is only what you get when you purchase a later expansion. The Dragon's Hoard feature is now only available by purchase in the marketplace.
  20. Szilent Augur

…which feels real silly since for a feature whose most substantive advantage is making EverQuest function more smoothly
    Fenthen likes this.