Downloading maps

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by trickor, Oct 19, 2012.

1. trickor Journeyman

Friend back from EQ and cant get his Maps to work, I had same problem I remember when new launchpad came out and managed to get them working by fiddling with something on the launchpad but cant remember. Anyone able to help?
  2. Yther Augur

There's a couple of things. It could be permissions, but you usually get an error trying to install them when that happens. The other is the location you are installing them. To solve this, right-click on the Everquest icon you use to start the game, and look in the Target text box, copy that and paste it into notepad or wordpad and replace the Everquest.exe part with maps/ then copy it again and paste it into the extract to text box of your zip / rar / whatever archiver program.

If you get an error, about it being protected or read-only or what not, then your permissions need changed, or you need to find the maps folder (Use windows Search/Find function on the start menu) in the Users ... Roaming directory and extract them there. (See Setting folder permissions )

A third possibility, is if you are having trouble with 1 specific zone, it may be one that is included with EQ now, and you need to put the new map in a subdirectory of maps (like maps\mine) and select that in the drop-down box on the map window in-game, as the patcher will overwrite these zones in the base eq\maps directory.

One more note: Mapfiend map packs - Select All Maps and hit the Download button.

Yther Ore.
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Another way to find where your EQ folder is located:
    1. Run Patcher.
    2. Click the Cog icon to get to the Advanced Tools.
    3. On the left there is a button "Open Game Directory" that you want to push.
    4. A new explorer window will pop up at the location where the computer/patcher has saved EQ.
    Personally, as soon as they added the option of creating personal subfolder versions of the maps I began using them. I have a version of all maps in my personal map folder, and I have that folder chosen from the drop down list on the map view window. So that when I edit or do anything to these maps they are the ones that are edited. This way I know that my maps are not going to be overwritten if SOE releases more of the player Maps that they have been asking for.
  4. Geroblue Augur

And hopefully you didn't install in C:\Program Files\