Double XP Weekend and Adventure Pots

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Morgoth, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Morgoth Elder

When we have a double xp weekend do the adventure potions add additional xp over what they would normally? Said another way, should I save my adventure pots till the double xp weekend arrives next week?
  2. Oranges Augur

nope, they're additive not multiplicative

lotd is multiplicative though
  3. CrazyLarth Augur

I think you can bank the EXP tasks and claim the EXP task on Double Exp period and they would double. If your looking for a exp boost.
  4. Sebbina Augur

The Double XP is normally only on mob kills.
  5. Shang Augur

No, you're wrong.

Double Experience events put on by SoE affect every form of gained experience.
    --However--
    It's unlikely they'll affect the quest rewards from RoF, as they are pre-set, determined amounts, which is relatively foreign to the game.

Experience modifiers your character casts never affect quest rewards.
  6. Shang Augur

But, to answer the OP's question, yes, you should save them for when double experience kicks in.
  7. Nolrog Augur

If you have a 50% potion, it would work like this:

Normal XP = 100%
    Bonus XP = 100% (bonus from the XP weekend, assuming it's double)
    Potion XP = 50%
    =============
    Total = 250% XP

If you have LotD:

Normal XP = 100%
    Bonus XP = 100% (bonus from the XP weekend, assuming it's double)
    LotD XP = 100%
    ============
    Total = 300% XP

In other words, they do stack, but they are addative, not multiplicatve (it's not 100% XP plus 100% LotD = 200% then that number doubled.)

LotD counts as a potion, so you couldn't add a potion on top of that.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  8. CrazyLarth Augur

Some one remined me that they think banked EXP Tasks can be affected by Double EXP if the EXP task is going to REG EXP not AAEXP.

I am lv 80 so the tasks I am banking are like the Dragonscale Hills tasks that give normal EXP.
  9. roth Augur

They are multiplicative.

If you normally gain 10% of an AA on a given mob, and use a 50% exp potion, you'll gain 15% of an AA when you kill it.
    You'll gain 20% of an AA when you kill it under Double Exp, 30% if you kill it under Double Exp with a 50% exp potion on, and 40% of an AA when you kill it under double exp with Lesson running.

Most of what Nolrog said was incorrect, though he was correct in stating that Lesson counts as a potion.

What has NOT been said here, though, is the way that the Low AAXP Bonus seems to not play well with the whole idea. I'm not exactly sure how (I have alts with low enough AA counts for it to matter, but have not played them in years) as the characters I play are well over 4000 AA's, but I do remember seeing something about exp mods on Sony's end (as opposed to potions or Lesson, which are activated at the player's end) not working well with the low AA bonus. So, if you're going AA and have under 4000 AA's, you may not see just what I described above. You will see it, though, if you're above the AA cutoff for that bonus.
  10. NickDanger Elder

My experience on double XP days is that the bonus is additive. This is especially clear on AAs. If you calculate your AA bonus (for low AAs), add one for base AA exp, and add one more for the "double XP" you will get a very good approximation of your actual AA exp including the bonus.

The reason that it looks like it is multiplicative on regular XP is that 1+1 = 2 and 2 * 1 = 2.

I think potions and LotD may be multiplicative, but the calcs above (and your admission that AAs don't work the way you expect them to under a multiplicative assumption) indicates that bonus XP days are likely additive. The other implication of additive bonus XP days is that if you are over 4000 AAs, you will get double AA exp (again 1+1 = 2 x 1).

Another implication of this is that if you have relatively low AAs (and thus a high AA bonus), you will get more mileage out of a bonus XP day if you set your AA exp to zero.
  11. Tegila Augur

it's definitely multiplicative with lesson adn dbl weekends if you're over 4kaas. at 95 my rgr got 23% a kill on looters. without lotd on dbl she got 46^ , if was additive she'd get 69% with lotd, but she got 92%. Also my normal pulls at 95 (last time there was a dbl xp weekend we were atll 95 or lower) i'd get 15aas max on lotd, on dbl weekends id get 30-31, which is double my double.

lotd used to work for store rewards but they removed it back a few years back when they did a 125% bonus (2.25x xp) weekend and people were storing 10tasks up to pop lesson for 450% xp in a few clicks. Now only dbl weekend work on rewards not pots or lotd etc, but they are definitely multiplicative not additive.
  12. roth Augur

I said that the low AA bonus interferes with the way the double exp works. I know for a fact that it is multiplicative after you're out of the range of the low AA bonus.

Additively would be 1+1+1=3 ... but that's not what you see when you're *over* that low AA bonus. Instead, you see 1*2*2, for 4 times, not just three times, the experience gain.
  13. NickDanger Elder

Roth & Tequila, I agree that potions and LotD appear multiplicative. An approach that would predict the results we have seen would be that you take base exp, add bonus exp, then multiply by potion/LotD effect. That is - if above 4000 AA, (1+1) x 2 = 4. If you had 0 AA, the result would be (1+1+10) = 12 without LotD or (1+1+10)*2 = 24 for LotD. Either way, with 0 AAs the effect of bonus day would be to increase AA exp by a factor of 12/11 which is consistent with what I've seen. This approach also predicts that with > 4000 AAs the factor would be 2/1 (which is consistent with what you've seen).

My 0 AA calcs might be off - they might be (1 + 1 + 9) instead of (1 + 1 +10)... which would lead to a factor of 11/10 instead of 12/11. What I've seen is 20% without bonus day exp and 22% with bonus day exp. This is consistent with either 12/11 or 11/10 factors - it is also muddied because I had 0 AA in the without bonus day exp and I had about 30 AA in the with bonus day exp situation (which changes the low AA bonus a little bit).

I'd do additional analysis of the numbers this weekend, but I'll be out of town during the bonus exp days :-(

Roth, I'm not disagreeing that there is an interaction between number of AAs and the effect of bonus day exp - I'm trying to find a mathematical model that explains that interaction so that we can make reasonable decisions regarding whether to try to get AAs during bonus days. It seems as though adding in the bonus day exp to the base + low AA bonus then multiplying by potion effects describes the results we have seen.
  14. Barton The Mischievous

They are additive. Nolrog is correct

Per Piestro from the old forums-
    -Piestro
    EverQuest Community Manager -
    The bonuses are all additive. So it's not Normal xp times server mod times low aa mod times double xp mod, it's normal xp + server mod + low aa mod + double xp mod. Potions or Lesson also stack, as well as a few other bonuses.

There is a cap, it's pretty hard to reach but it exists.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eqold/posts/list.m?topic_id=187522
    NickDanger likes this.
  15. Barton The Mischievous

Oh and for your AA Calcs Nick, Piestro has explained that also further down in the old post

Your browser does not support iframes. Iframes are a requirement to see a user's signature.
    NickDanger likes this.
  16. NickDanger Elder

Hi, Barton. Thanks for looking that up... the link to the old forums doesn't work for me :-(
  17. NickDanger Elder

So the key take-away from this conversation is: if you have AAs much lower than 4000 and you are lower than level 100, it will be more valuable to you to set AA exp to a very low level (ideally 0) during a double experience bonus day.

If you have over 4000 AAs, then you don't lose any value based on your AA exp setting.
  18. Barton The Mischievous

ya sorry sometimes they do sometimes they dont you can search the archive by Poster look for Piestro and the post was on 7/05/12 named Double Experience in EverQuest This Weekend! if ya want to look for yourself or read the rest of it think both those cover most of the pertinent data though
  19. Barton The Mischievous

Yes thats pretty much what I have seen folks do is wait till they are over 4k AA to AA on double exp events
  20. Geroblue Augur

You all are giving me a headache.
    Tarvas likes this.