DoT Revamp

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fohpo, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Fohpo Augur

Did the dot revamp affect Phinny and Agnarr?
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

3. Zinkeh Augur

What dot revamp?
    Bewts likes this.
  4. Zansobar Augur

I'm pretty sure they only did Druids and Shaman so far...I have no idea why they wouldn't have started with Necros, but I think they will never do Necros now.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

The one for druids, rangers, beastlords, and shamans.
  6. Mwapo Augur

And enchanters.
  7. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Clerics too. Our undead dots got super powered
  8. Juzam Djinn Elder

I dont think its gona happen for necros its been almost 2 years since this was brought up. It could be as easy as reducing a few cast times and consolidating a few dots to make them beefier, but it also may screw everything up. Who knows at this point
  9. Raltar Augur

I think they saw how broken it made druids and shamans and are hesitant to do it now. Necros are a bit more complicated to work with as well because they refuse to change the epic 2.0 effect which I think max level necros still use or something.
  10. Hadesborne Augur

Somewhere someone had advised that the devs were working on the necro DOT revamp and that they had given a tentative date of March 2018. Any info on this Ngreth?
  11. Moege Augur

Devs did not say it. It was speculation by a player when the earliest date could be.

*edit: making it perfectly clear that it was not a dev that was speculating.
  12. snailish Augur

They have their hands full with necros... one of the most popular played classes in the silent population.

They break necros on live no one will play them and they lose a large part of the paying to dabble (aka minimal use of game resources for the sub fee) playerbase. More 10-15 years played necros will quit for good than reroll as a new class, as this class has historically been where the loner and/or single-focus type of players were found.

They break them on progression to be too weak and no one plays them, costs them a few players but probably not the end of anything.

They break them on progression to be too strong then everyone that doesn't quit (because every other class is useless in 95% of situations) is playing a necro. While some like flavor-of-an-era class switching, we've seen enough drama over the early-era enchanter power to know that god-mode necros from 1-100 would hurt progression.

It's not just power output they have to balance with necro too, unsubtle adjustments could break entire tactics/playstyles... or just make the class super boring (cast 3 dots wait 5 minutes... do nothing else).

Maybe it would have been easier to just increase debuff slots on mobs...
  13. Hadesborne Augur

The normal damaging dots are not the issue really, There are around 12-15 different dot lines to revamp.

One problem arises when revamping the darkness line because if this is made too expensive to cast for the snare effect it could be an issue. Best to leave this line alone ad it really is not used for damage overall.

The biggest issue that will be encountered is the lifetap-over-time line. If they revamp this line just like any other line, then they run the risk of having a necro that can land a spell and get AMAZING healing for themselves that become on par with a clerics HoT's. So the challenge is how to increase the damage portion, modify the healing portion , and modify the spell cost and still make it worth casting because it will no longer stack with the previous versions of itself. The good news is, that the healing portion never did stack when casting multiple versions, so that only the highest healing portion would take effect. So theoretically, they could increase the damage in line with the other dots, leave the healing stat where it is, and then modify the cost to be a somewhat less % than what the increase of the other dots would be. This would balance the spell for raid use as well as in grouping and solo applications. Finding the balance with that new spell cost would be the trick.

What would be an interesting discussion is to find out how many specific dot lines a necro has overall.

Currently as of DoDH:

1 Darkness Line
    1 Lifetap-over-time Line
    1 Splurt Line
    2 Fire Lines
    2 Poison Lines
    3 Disease Lines
    2 Magic/Curse Lines
    1 Undead Line

Clicky DoT Lines are also to be considered.
    Later on they add the Swift Dots, fire dots that increase lifetap vulnerability, magic dots that drain mana, Dots that have 2 different damage components, etc

Yes, it does get tricky because the damage of these dots was originally balanced with the duration. So each line of dots that has a specific duration must be consolidated with others that have similar durations and cannot be consolidated with ones that have different durations.
  14. Zansobar Augur

Is there any site that has the new values (damage and mana) for the upgraded dot spells across the classes that have already undergone the dot revamp? I don't trust Zam's site since I know they are wrong on multiple DD spells for Wizard.

I'd be curious if playing any of the upgraded classes would feel substantially different enough for me to enjoy playing them. I haven't played any class with dots since the dot revamp, but played several prior to it.
  15. Juzam Djinn Elder

Been almost 2 years with no communication to necros See below

March 2016 Patch Preview
    03-10-2016

Our March patch is scheduled for Wednesday, March 16, 2016 (the day of EverQuest’s 17th Anniversary!). Here are some highlights on what players can expect from this patch:

DoTs Improvements

Over the past few months, we've been reviewing the way DoTs work and how we would like to improve them going forward. As most of you know, there's a limited number of debuff slots available on any given NPC, which conflicts with DoT classes wanting to layer as many spells as possible on any given NPC in order to maximize damage. This layering has contributed to a lot of problems over the years; most notably, it takes a lot of spell slots away from players who want to maximize DoT damage, and it uses up many of the limited debuff slots available on raid targets.
  16. Ryak Augur

It did, unless you are a necromancer :(
  17. Fohpo Augur

Don't worry, there's always after the HA fix, random nerf in the future, random buff in the future, several "promise" posts, and whatever else extends the revamp further.