Dot Damage - Bards

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Isule, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Isule Elder

So the patch stated chant damage was going to be increased (or did). It did not increase from yesterday to today. My bard dots ticked for 21,152 crit for 71,916. And they are still the same damage after patch.
  2. Kaosmos Lorekeeper

Same Issue, exact same damage as pre patch, max aa's.
  3. menown Augur

Sindaiann and Jyve like this.
  4. Hellboy007 Augur

anyone have the data on the change? how much and such..

i have a feeling its still way below worth using
  5. Jyve Augur

With max rank of the dot focus;
    rankIII chant 23497 crit-79090
    rankII chant 21126 crit-71823
  6. Brohg Augur

34% base crits, +12% crits avg from epic+FE (either +12% all the time, or +24% half the time), so rank 3 is...

23497*0.54+79090*0.46 = 49069/tick, 8178dps if run constantly

Line up epic+FE, add ranger Auspice? 91% crits, 15.5kdps per dot.

In a raid setting this sounds like a pretty poor idea since Auspice implies burns being active, so Insults(carrying Synergy) + Alliance are the order of the day.

Also 2 buff slots per dot won't mesh with raiding in general…

Still, it's possible for the first time in some decades to dot a trash mob to death, like, before the entropic end of the universe, so that's neat.
  7. flash000 Augur

i still think the dots upgrade being our point of dps balance is a mistake most of our focus is adps on melee we loose valuable song gems to load dots.

I feel we need more adps group disp to swap between AA and disp on raids and in groups.
  8. smash Augur

If I had a bard during raids, do dots, I would give person a warning. They can do a lot better with add dps for group
  9. Brohg Augur

After Aria+Warsong, it gets pretty shady pretty fast, smash. You should take a look at the math on the Sufferings & down past that.
  10. fransisco Augur

The dot change had nothing to do with balancing bard dps.
    The devs are slowly going through the dots that all classes casting, and increasing their mana/damage.
  11. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

The bard DoT upgrade costs ~1400 AA
  12. segap Augur

I thought the "upgrade" was the result of the devs stating in beta that bard stuff couldn't be improved without significant code changes. Dots were what they could actually improve with the focus AA. Don't believe this had anything to do with the ongoing dot revamp as it doesn't fit the same mold. It's rather it's all they could do without giving up their opposition to removing push from all bard nukes or increasing bard melee damage.
    Brohg likes this.
  13. Quixotic Journeyman

Oddly enough, there is more to this game then raiding...
  14. fransisco Augur

They never stated the reason, so both of us are just guessing.
    Either way, good for bards for having their dot songs increased.
  15. Hellboy007 Augur

Fyi there couple raid events in EoK that bard either use dots or no nukes at all. But dots still suck.
  16. flash000 Augur

how long can they ignore bards are falling way behind im betting the servers get unplugged before we see anything good come our way,,
  17. fransisco Augur

How exactly are bards behind?
    People want a bard in their group more than a friggen cleric.
    That means bards are not a forgotten step child.
  18. Siddar Augur

Bards got the grind thousands of AA to upgrade their DoT's. One set of AA upgrades individual DoT line 50%. The other AA upgrades all DoT lines by what was it 200 to 300 percent?
  19. Nniki Augur

There are multiple aspects to this. Just because the bard class is wanted in groups doesn't mean the class hasn't stagnated. As far as forgotten... the bard class is often an afterthought until it breaks something and then it's the good old bard code™ thing again. They probably need a dev dedicated for an entire year or so just to go and fix all the bard issues. Bards have their own, active section on the issue tracker report that seems to just continuously grow from what I can tell.

1.) The bard class has not kept up with the change of pace to the game at all.

1a.) Bard songs take three seconds to cast. Other classes used to see longer cast times on their spells, but over time, the game changed to a faster pace and those other classes saw their cast times come down significantly. While other classes are sitting there spamming spells, bards have to sit there waiting three seconds for just one song to finish. Now, this isn't so bad with a /melody on repeat, but if you have to stop melody (or get interrupted... mobs hitting us easily do this), have fun watching everything get going again... especially now that bards can play a ton of songs in a /melody. Possible solutions would be to either reduce cast times and just make bards more spammy or change bard support songs into more of an aura-based system... and then give bards more abilities they could "cast" and keep on cooldown similar to other classes. That'd be quite a change to the bard class though.

1b.) Where the three second cast times really hurts is debuff and crowd control. Requiem of Time has seen improvements to cast time via AA, but other songs have not. Bards take three seconds to mez a single mob or 6 with their PBAE song (assuming they don't get resisted). If you need to debuff resists for the mez to land, that's an additional three seconds per mob. The faster bards can get done with debuffs, the quicker they can get back to starting up their boring melody to support their group like a good bard does.

1c.) Bards have limited CC options (for being a primary CC class with mez). A 3s cast single target mez song, a 3s cast PBAE mez song (6 targets max, 30s reuse), and a 0.5s cast single target AA mez (5 min reuse). They received the AA in SoF and the first PBAE mez in SoD (9 years ago). The only real improvements here have been reduced reuse time on the AA and new versions of the songs every level cap increase. Enchanters have how many different mez abilities now? Obviously bards aren't supposed to be equal to enchanters here, but improvements are way past due. Bards still need to use their A Tune Stuck in Your Head AA to reliably keep mobs locked down with their PBAE mez since the cooldown is the same as the song duration (unless the server tick is on your side). Reduced cast time on mezzes and reduced reuse time on PBAE mez would be nice for starters, but being able to mez a group of mobs while not being under them would be amazing too (aka target ae mez). AA versions of AE mez with longer durations would be nice to see too. The CC bard role has been stagnant way too long.

1d.) For being a CC and puller class, bards have very little in the way of keeping themselves alive. Kind of strange for a class that puts themselves in the way of danger so often. They have Hymn of the Last Stand AA (7m reuse), which gives +42.5k hp (-200/tick) for 1.5m (bleh), and Shield of Notes (20 min reuse - ugh), a 2m 150k vie that absorbs 56% damage, but really, those aren't useful for active CCing and pulling. The vie doesn't even last long enough to fill in as a tank if you have to... group named will knock off that vie in 1-2 rounds. They also have Rhyme of Refuge / Prose of Preservation on their RoF BPs that's been forgotten about and hasn't received an upgrade since, but it also shares a timer with arpeggio BPs, so it's kinda meh too. Bards used to have some songs that had rune components to it, although minor... but really, it'd be better to just have a self-rune combat ability (maybe Repel-like... a mix in between perhaps) or AA to protect us in our CC and pulling duties... It'd also be nice for saving us from a loose rampage or mob on raids where we can easily go splat without having a chance to react. I don't envision bards being like enchanters where they can just spam runes to protect themselves while mobs beat on them, but something to stave off a bit of damage as a fellow CC class would be nice to see. Our current defensives are especially inadequate in a game where I spend more time pulling and CCing in a group (i.e. risking my hitpoints) than I do actually hitting mobs. Another idea would be a defensive proc version of ranger's roaring weapons that gives a mini deftdance to have a chance to save us from surprise attacks or in tight areas where a mob(s) is beating on the bard.

1e.) Bards aren't a very active class to play (more noticeable in raids versus groups where they're often doing a lot of pulling). Besides songs taking 3 seconds to cast... Bards have one burn, usable every ~11-12ish minutes. They then have nothing else to do besides click their epic and fierce eye hotkey every 3 minutes and spam Selo's Kick every 6s. Mindless. Bards aren't a DPS class, but a secondary burn would be amazing... and I think justified in the pace of the current game. Some additional support abilities on shorter cooldowns would be great to have. Really, things like Dichotomic Psalm, Crescendo, and Alliance would be better as combat abilities that could be clicked alongside /melody running instead of forcing us into either stopping and restarting melody to cast them (well, alliance forces us to do that since it breaks /melody... no alternative) or creating a super long melody to incorporate them, which will probably just get interrupted at some point anyway... if not by a mob or not having a target for insult, then by needing to click epic.

2.) Most of the benefits bards provide to groups haven't changed or really improved in years.

2a.) As other classes have received improvements and support-related abilities (even ones similar to what the bard class has), bards have received very little. Things like aria and epic are some of the few things bards provide that people care about. It's definitely tough to justify improving many of our songs and abilities too when many have multipliers (and why they are still useful to groups despite the class advancement being stagnant), but that doesn't mean some songs can't be improved. They mentioned in beta how they originally put push on bard insults to deter bards from playing them and introduced the non-push versions with less efficiency as an option... but guess what? bards are playing personal dps support, such as insults, over group support songs because the other group support songs are garbage or too similar in comparison to matter. This shouldn't be the case (or, at least, to the degree it is now).

2b.) Bards have many +bonus damage songs and effects. These would need increased to absurd amounts to actually be good. Bard dichotomic psalm 6 song... +8906 spell bonus dmg for 3 hits max and +2415 melee bonus dmg for 12 hits max... depending on the group makeup, thats like 150-250k ish damage every 1 minute assuming everyone takes advantage of it. Bards can crit insult and selo's kick for over 100k, not to mention what actual dps classes can do. Berserker's dichotomic makes mobs disappear... bard's dicho supporting the entire group is equivalent to poking a mob with a stick...it's just sad. Bard's third spire... +75 melee dmg (lol), second spire... +2k spell dmg... they're a joke. Arpeggio on BP is in a similar state. Playing bard +spell damage songs is a waste of a song slot. Those spell damage songs need merged together and increased drastically.

I'm sure there are many other things I could go on and on about, such as the choice of songs we are given for expansions (Plague of the Piper, Requiem for the Dead... /sad), but those are just some of the reasons why bards feel like they're being left behind.
    Tucoh, code-zero and Sirene_Fippy like this.
  20. Brohg Augur

and then there's Alliance of Sticks and Stones, which is pretty [bleeping] crazy for a couple minutes.