Does Vaniki need extra/bonus loot?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Neuro, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Neuro Elder

I have seen a large number of posts and replies stating that the Vaniki TLP needs bonus loot/faster respawns, due to the faster cadence of the server. I would like to disagree. It does not need faster loot; what it needs is worthwhile rewards from the achievements. If you manage to kill CT at lvl 40, everyone in the raid should get the achievement that then rewards you with a significant upgrade. More to the point, these upgrades should be as good/better than loot that would normally drop from that boss, and it should be Heirloom. You can only get it once per account, so make it something you can pass down. Since you can only get it once, it's not like you can flood the server with loot, and since it can't be traded outside your account, it won't destroy the economy, and it would help improve the raid for more challenges.

I feel this would put more emphasis on doing a wider variety of targets at least once, rather than just farming 1-2 easier targets repeatedly, as a "faster loot" system would encourage.

I'm not entirely sure how the technical aspects of the achievements work; if it could give you a "choice" of rewards (pick either a caster, melee, tank, healer rewards for example), or if it does not have that capability. Sure you could get around this by having it reward you a token saying "I killed CT" that you could use to buy a specific reward from a vendor in PoK, but that seems a bit clunky.

Anyway, that's my idea. Thoughts?
    Lumiens, Foaming and Zrender like this.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Any class restriction lessens the use of heirloom and the use of the item, especially if it is a one time thing. Your not going to want to use your significant upgrade caster item on your alt tank.
  3. Zrender Augur

I like it as long as the rewards don't make the next boss easier. That would undermine the point of the server. I like the idea of being able to choose your reward but they can do that through the normal claim thing where you get a list of options.
  4. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

This server is going to live and die based on the rewards from the achievements. It'll work for a short while on try hards like myself who feed on a challenge, but we get burnt out too. The speed of the server is blazing fast and without something to make the effort required to keep up worth it everyone will just move on.

I love the idea of Darkpaw trying new ideas and improving our experience so I'm going to try Vaniki out regardless of loot/reward ruleset, but I know it will need something to keep it alive longer term.
  5. Xanathol Augur

The server doesn't need faster loot or specific awards - it needs to be redesigned. The proposed progression rate is way too fast to keep interest, much less gear up / level / AA to accomplish these 'goals' at lower than intended levels. Despite that, a try hard zerg server is most interesting to only a sliver of the player base, which just so happens to be the same base many other players describe as toxic. The entire concept is as out of touch as the initial target audiences for mangler and selos.
  6. Zansobar Augur

I cannot believe DPG would make the mistake of giving tangible rewards that can be used on other servers from Vaniki. Most likely they will be achievement titles or other purely cosmetic elements.

Also even if they give equipment rewards that only work on Vaniki like the OP wishes, this would make the server easier and easier as people progress, which defeats the entire purpose of the server.
    Joules_Bianchi and Skuz like this.
  7. Rounlin Best Pizza in Norrath!

faster xp, would be nice
    Joules_Bianchi and Manafasto like this.
  8. Lumiens Augur

No I think it helps to make things not impossible and then gives people a reason to focus on raiding to gear up instead of focusing on group gear from higher level content.
  9. Tankkin Journeyman

I think the easiest thing for TLP's in general would be to go back and give currency for all older raids. Take the raidloot, throw it on a vendor and give a currency to the raids. It's amazing how much it opens up when VoA comes out and that scene changes so you always have a chance for atleast those one or two items you want from the expansion.

The currency cost doesn't have to be anything crazy, but 1-2months of repeatedly hitting a target, you should have enough to buy at least an item or two from the raids you're doing. Then for increased speed servers like this, it would be easy for them to adjust the value of currency given on raids to balance things out.
    Genoane and Skuz like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah multiple players, myself among them have suggested doing this on TLP's & the devs have considered it but have not said yes or no to doing this retroactively.

Perhaps the currency system would be a faster & less dev-time intensive way to have more loot available to players on faster-paced servers instead doing all the research required to add loot multipliers like ToV+ content has had.

Selo had halved unlocks but that definitely caused a larger amount of burnout than servers with standard unlocks have, more loot at a time is what Mischief's Random loot system went with and that was very popular.

Have enough currency earned per raid & all those older events suddenly get a new lease of life I reckon, the big bonus of raid currency is if you have your heart set on something you know you can get it eventually, rather than having to sacrifice gnomes. halflings & rangers to the loot gods (even if most of us enjoy those sacrifices immensely).

Just imagine TSS with currency, the infamously terrible weapon drop rates would hurt a lot less with a currency system in place.
  11. Triconix Augur

Currency is a slippery slope. In my opinion you risk losing some of the thrill of raiding. Seeing those rare items drop and the excitement you hear/see in chat or over coms is part of the charm/fun.

Yes it can get frustrating going an entire era not seeing a single item drop on TLP. This is something that was pretty rare on live because you had much longer time periods of raiding the zone. Therefore, a small currency amounts equaling a max of one to two items bought I think is a good compromise.

The current status with live where you don't need to loot a single darn thing and get full BIS off just currency is horrible and kills a major part of what makes raid loot fun.
  12. Xeris Augur

Agree with this. Only thing that would make sense is doing this in LDON because it at least is thematic to the expansion; but even then I'm reasonably OK with how it is now, especially after the increased drop rate in ldon raids.
  13. Tweakfour17 Augur

You could always lock the good items behind Vanquisher achievements the same way they do in the later expansions.
    Triconix and Skuz like this.
  14. Triconix Augur

Those normally require raids with mechanics and leveraging multiple ways of completing mechanics. There's nothing really to change for tank & spank events.

But you're right, that is another possibility.

Example would be achievement for OMM as the following:
    1. Complete raid while failing no mask clicks
    2. Complete raid while failing all mask clicks.
    3. Don't charm Lieutenants.

And this unlocks the ability to buy his over haste coin.
    Skuz and Tweakfour17 like this.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I find the lavevel 75 cap coinciding with UNDERFOOT release and HoT 8 weeks after.... Puzzling? Troubling? I sure hope everyone is VERY well geared and has ALL their AAs.

Betfans has this at 12:1 for trainwreck
  16. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Yeah, I'm never going to be a fan of a separatist EQ ecosystem with scaled to order loot tables. Allowing the cross draw of other zone loot tables in a restricted level range, essentially globalizing a loot table is one thing. Devloping and implimenting a whole new system within the game on a short lifespan server seems very diminishing returns for your development dollar. TLPs use the existing live client for a reason.