Does DBG still have the code for old events?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rouan, May 8, 2017.

1. Rouan Augur

You know, the Karanas Plague, SFG/BB War, 2001 Halloween Event. Always felt what these TLP servers was missing was the old events that made the game feel more alive.

I'm gonna guess that code is long gone since we were told for ages that old PoM was long gone.
  2. Astley Augur

Well, some of it was code, and some of it was GMs playing the NPCs for old event stuff that was related.

They just don't have the GMs to do the interactive stuff that much anymore.
  3. -wycca Augur

There were no scripts for those events, scripting wasn't even in the game =P.

As said above, much of it was GMs & guides roleplaying, the rest was some temporary spawn changes.
  4. Dilf Augur

The GM events were some of the coolest things to ever happen in this game.
  5. -wycca Augur

Yea they were, but only if you were able to attend them, and even then they seemed to only have a few actual players able to interact. I'm not sure they were great for allowing all players to potentially interact. That's why the festival and anniversary and other such stuff nowadays is in for longer periods and has things anyone can do.
    snailish likes this.
  6. snailish Augur

Some of the past events could be "restored" and set to occur as-of a certain era in the timeline. Step one would be generating a decent list (which I will fail to do).

Example:
    -werewolves in Karanas
    -skeleton armies in BB and other zones
    -the PoR? prelaunch with all the undead everywhere.

I'd suggest making a "hardcore/echo" version of the event that occurs on the live servers as part of the anniversary events every year. Treats for both populations as it were.
  7. Zapford Elder

Ah getting DT'd by Firiona as a Troll SK, because I was a little too enthusiastic RP'ing an evil guy who hated her. She did however warn me...
    snailish likes this.
  8. Machentoo Augur

The most likely way something like this could happen, I think, is if the devs created revamped anniversary versions of some of the old events that could scale for both tlp's and live. Doubt they would devote dev time to create a new scripted version of things that were originally GM run NPC's, just to run once a year on TLP's only.
    snailish likes this.
  9. snailish Augur

I agree completely.

TLP fans need to pitch some ideas that are good for the entire game. Wider base of support and all that.
  10. Prathun Developer

This will occur on progression servers similarly to how it originally worked. When the server defeats Ayonae Ro in Deathknell, the skies in many zones will turn red and red skeletons and mummies will wander about. When Two Gods in Solteris is completed, the skies will return to normal and the undead will stop spawning.
  11. Machentoo Augur

Is this a new addition, or was I just not paying attention on Fippy?
  12. Darchon_Xegony Augur

On Al'Kabor, before the server sunset there was an event in East Wastes with tons of giants and dragon models, it culminated in some bosses and mini bosses. One of the mini bosses:

[Tue Jul 02 08:43:03 2013] Sjornald the Vicious has become ENRAGED.
    [Tue Jul 02 08:43:14 2013] Sjornald the Vicious slashes YOU for 300 points of damage.
    [Tue Jul 02 08:43:25 2013] Sjornald the Vicious goes on a RAMPAGE!
    [Tue Jul 02 08:43:29 2013] Sjornald the Vicious has been slain by Darchon!
    [Tue Jul 02 08:43:29 2013] Your faction standing with Kromzek could not possibly get any worse.
    [Tue Jul 02 08:43:29 2013] Your faction standing with Kromrif could not possibly get any worse.
    [Tue Jul 02 08:43:29 2013] Your faction standing with King Tormax got worse.
    [Tue Jul 02 08:43:29 2013] Your faction standing with Claws of Veeshan got better.
    [Tue Jul 02 08:43:29 2013] You gain party experience!!
    [Tue Jul 02 08:43:38 2013] --You have looted a Ring of Destruction.--

[Tue Jul 02 08:56:00 2013] Archonn says out of character, 'Shamshir of the Disciple - Mace of the Disciple - Cloak of the Falling Stars - Boots of the Vindicator rotting in SW corner, FCFS all tells will be ignored'
    [Tue Jul 02 09:14:49 2013] Darchon tells the guild, 'Swiftblade of Zek - Living Thunder Earring - Cloak of the Falling Stars - Dagger of the Disciple - Greatsword of the Disciple'
    Honestly it was just a giant loot pinata for how difficult the mobs were. There were two major bosses at the end who were apparently much harder and dropped BPs for all 4 armor types with around 100 HP/Mana and FT3.

If you still have the Al'Kabor database, the original Inner Acrylia events were on there but half of them were broken.
  13. -wycca Augur

Now THAT is interesting. Was it the keyed version inside? Just curious, what version of Hollowshade did you have?
  14. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Yes it was the keyed version. Basically there were only two grimlings st the archway that dropped VT shards that didn't require the key so most people camped if there. The key also required the long Grimling War to complete your key.

In fact in the AK database because it was stuck in the period between PoP/LoY, the key item itself - http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=22403 Was shown as an item with those stats and the slot was "HELD". Since charms didn't exist.

Only 2-3 people ever actually finished the quest on AK though, I forgot what happened if they cursored their key.

Dunno on the version of Hollowshade. I just recall lots of farming owlbears/sonic wolves to go from 189-250 Blacksmithing. Back when tradeskills were tedious and you couldn't just autocombine /have a tradeskills interface to save recipes in. The old times.
  15. Prathun Developer

This was a recent-ish change.
    Machentoo likes this.
  16. taliefer Augur

The war in kithicor is still among the all time greatest moments for me in EQ. Rivervale was taken over and liberated like 3 or 4 seperate times on Povar. it was pretty epic.

i know the forums will censor the above word, but it truly describes just how awesome it was.
  17. Machentoo Augur

Pleasantly surprised that you guys would work on something like this, considering we're a year or so away still on Phinigel, and RF/LJ more like 3.