Does Daybreak even care about hacking?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gnomie, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Yeah, is the smelly homeless guy in front of a 7-11 begging for change a net positive for business because he buys a 40 sometimes?
  2. Lion of God Elder

You just compared a boxer whom purchases multiples $15 - $18 subs per month, to a homeless man begging in front of 7 - 11 who occasionally spends 3$ on a 40oz.

How do you even link the two?

Please draw the line of logic for me. Should be interesting.
  3. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

I'll explain when you learn to read
  4. Lion of God Elder

Every Krono is purchased by somebody. It doesn't matter if a boxer buys it themselves or not. Somebody did for 18$.

So please, explain the string of logic. Since now we've established boxers aren't generating Krono out of thin air.

I like how you dodged my question.
  5. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Money is made when a Krono when it is purchased not consumed. The boxer "consuming" Krono makes them zero dollars. Also if you follow the conversation it's about Botting using software deemed to be "cheating" and not boxing. The botter isn't really bringing in any money at all and he is actually driving a ton of it away.
  6. Lion of God Elder

Most boxers use programs of some sort. And it is 'not' considered 'cheating'. The restriction is, you can't use a program and then go afk. You must be at the keyboard at all times. DBG has confirmed this is the case on numerous occasions. And why would it be any other way? Not too many people are playing EQ nowadays. Some servers have very low populations, it would be impossible to get anything done if there weren't boxers (most of whom use programs).

Moreover, A krono is worth 18$, in order for somebody to obtain a krono, they either need to purchase one for 18$ or trade the equivalent of 18$ worth of goods for a krono. Your problem is, you aren't acknowledging that these boxers are trading 18$ worth of digital goods in order to obtain them. I suppose setting up camps for hours on end, coordinating raids and selling raid loot to willing buyers, isn't something you recognize as being considered 'value'. But it is. . .

When someone trades a Krono to a boxer for an uber piece of gear, I'd argue that they wouldn't of bought that krono in the first place if there weren't any boxers adding items into the high-end gear loot market.

You're also wrong in that youre assuming people who box and use software to help arent paying any cash for their subs. I know 3 people off the top of my head who box (and also use third party software) that pay hundreds of dollars per month in subscription fees. None of these people set up bots and go AFK, all of these individuals are extremely helpful to just about anybody whom asks for help. Yet, according to you, such people drive others away from this game. It's an ignorant position to hold, on your part...

To prove my point, I'll use an extreme example. Lets get a tally of how many people quit EQ due to this rare case of somebody openly boxing 30+ toons on a TLP server...Anyone? Yeah, that's what I thought. I doubt even those of you whining in this thread actually quit due to this rare instance of a mega botter actually hogging camps on a True Box server.

So, once again, your assumption that botters drive away more cash than they bring in to DBG is WRONG. In fact, the opposite is true.

If everybody whom boxed/botted was banned from EQ, i'll revert back to what somebody said earlier in this thread (to which you disagreed with, using a terrible comparison).

Risiko says,
    Get rid of all the cheaters, and you put the final nail in the coffin. Do you want to go play WoW when the EQ servers are shut down permanently?

Think about that for a second. Let it sink in completely before hitting reply.
  7. Risiko Augur

The thing that a lot of people that only play on TLP servers don't get is that on the Live servers, the vast majority of the players use 3rd party software to make playing multiple accounts on one computer more efficient, and these people pay for their accounts with monthly/yearly subscriptions.

It's a taboo thing on TLP servers, but it's openly acceptable on Live servers. Now understand, I am talking about boxing software; not botting. Botting is a whole different thing.

Which brings up an interesting observation I have made over the years while playing both TLP and Live... TLP players seem to be more willing to use botting software than Live players. I have seen more people using botting (automated game play) software on TLP servers than Live. On Live servers, I see more people using boxing-enhancing software.

I find it interesting that people playing on servers where the idea is to beat the game the way it was designed to be played are more willing to cheat to accomplish that goal than the people playing on the Live servers which are supposedly easier because of QoL enhancements and newer content that is designed to be more forgiving (according to TLP purest types).

It's as if the people that claim to be leet on TLP servers are only uba because they choose to cheat where as the people on Live that are leet are uba because they put the time and effort in to accomplishing their goals albeit using some software to make it a less tedious to play more than one character at the same time.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. Aegir Augur

I wouldn't mind people that must 6box in order to play on a Truebox server using programs such as EyeSbox'er to play, as long the Broadcast functions are disabled. It would also reduce the energy bills in the household!

Again this thread has gone from targetting extensive botting, to boxers defending their right to box. You can box for whatever I care, but please, Don't use 3rd party hacks that makes you afk-bot, Wharp, Teleport,Ghost and whatnot that now are available to buy for TLP servers...
  9. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

You're just completely ignorant to both EQ rules and the reality of the matter. But again the thread isn't talking about boxers, the thread was started about people using Valdemort to AFK for weeks on end with nothing being done. If you think that kinda stuff is helpful to the bottom line i got some magic beans to sell you.
  10. Ceffener Augur

Active hacking = Bad
    Boxing = fine
    People = the problem

If people were not willing to spend tons of $$$ on loot and were happy with whatever they could earn RMT wouldn’t exist (both from actually cheating or earned from active play).

But people haven’t stopped buying crap with $ from other players for 20 years.
  11. Renshu Augur

Some people just don't understand how economics work. Even if boxers are consuming krono that they didn't pay for, they are consuming Krono. Someone paid for that Krono. The more that is consumed, the more that must be purchased. Even if someone is hording up 100,000,000,000 Krono, when they sell something from their 100,000,000,001 Krono, that Krono came from somewhere. AFAIK, nobody is duping Krono, which is what people seem to imply.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

The thing about consumption vs buying is that the other person is talking about money on paper. It's a very real thing when it comes to accounting and something that businesses care about. But sometimes people are focusing simply on the revenue. They're both money-centric ideas, but very different, and both very legitimate.

Without fail, DBG knows how many Krono is "out there" and somewhere in their books they have to put those little kroners down as a liability, which is something they want as little as possible of!
    Renshu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.