Does beastlord molo better than mage?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tinolien, Mar 28, 2019.

1. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

A BST has to cycle through burns and discs to keep up with mages who are using a simple sequence of spells with some AA support.
  2. Yendar Augur

So as a mage you don’t have to cycle through AA’s and spells? You don’t keep casting chaotic inferno when you have twincast up (from either a prof or AA) you use either Spears or “of many” spells depending on pets. You need to cast chaotic inferno repeatedly (as much as possible) when twincast isn’t up.

You need to click your pet burn AA’s, pet disc AA’s pet heal/block AAs, second wind, IDA. You need to know when to use your pet swarm AA’s and which spells to correlate with them.It’s obviously not as difficult as anbeastlord but if you want to maximize the class you need to cycle through burns, AA’s etc
    not just use a simple sequence of spells.

You’re able to use them as “just a simple sequence of spells” and do less dps. Just like a beast could pet tank mobs and just turn on hot attack and do less dps. However much you mash and pay attention to your adds etc will determine your dps on both classes.
  3. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

You misunderstand. I am making the pro mage argument you are. Mage's are far simpler for more dps sustained than the BST could ever dream of.
  4. Yendar Augur

No, I understand your point completely. It’s just not a good point to make. Sure mages might be “simpler” dps. You might be able to basically just hit a cast macro, but you aren’t going to be doing great DPS. That’s like saying you would prefer a pet to tank because they don’t have to cycle through any AA’s or discs. They can do it, just less effectively than a real tank. The mage will be less effective than the beast (especially played like that) even if played to peak performance the beast will out dps the mage.
  5. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

My box mages on the setup I have( in no small part due to some contributors on this board in the casters areas of the class discussions) will out do the best of the BST. And honestly my best mage has maybe 2 peices of velazuls, and 3 pieces of scaleborn. It's not an abundance of the best gear. I do however have almost 30K AA on my best mage.

Do get me wrong...BST are cool, perhaps the most engaging molo-ing class..because you are active and doing alot of things that a more caster archtype does not do. But if the test is some type of balance between "work" and "damage"...the mage wins.
  6. Sancus Augur

How do you know what the best of "the BST" can do?
  7. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Watch some twitch streams. Group with some fine beatlords. If I might ask why would you be surprised a given person who plays EQ would have an idea of what a well played class would be able to do?
  8. Sancus Augur

You didn't say well played, you said the best.

Very few people who play EQ are aware of what the best players in a class can do. I play in the first and third guild to beat TBL, and there are some classes for which I haven't seen what the best can do. So it strikes me as rather presumptuous, and likely inaccurate, to definitively state that your boxed mages would outperform the best beastlords.
    Brohg likes this.
  9. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I see your point. Maybe best was a poor descriptor word choice of what I was trying to communicate which was "above average, non-boxed, beastlord with comparable equipment."
    Sancus likes this.
  10. Mazame Augur

I disagree with the fact that your saying your Bot is better then the Avg player. Beast are one of the harder classes to play and even more so to play well because of everything that you have to do to keep up your dps. For those that Main a bst and take the time to play it well I would say the skill level that the Avg bst plays at is higher then most.

Also the fact that you play on X sever where as on that server maybe you do out preform but that doesn't do anything to reflect all bst as a whole.

If you want to make a claim that you are better then X class you need to have data to support it. not just your perspective or point of view. Do you have parses or videos to support your claim?
  11. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I have played both classes. I'm not a raider so won't have raid parses. I'm just a guy who boxes with a lot of different classes and combinations of classes to the extent that I have played every EQ class to 110 and at least 20K AA. If it were CLOSE..I wouldn't make my claim as I did, but it's not close.... mage dominates in the combination of damage\easy-sustainability of damage ratio. I think what you lose in BST damage you gain in utility\flexibility with that class. So that's the trade off in my experience.
  12. took2summit11 Augur

Considering much of what a BST brings is ADPS, and much of what a mage brings is solo dps, have you adequately parsed the ADPS the BST brings? This would include all the mana/endurance they can give pure dps as well as all the other ADPS they bring.

The original intent of this post was to talk about the effectiveness of a beast vs a mage in MOLO play, so I get that ADPS isn’t important in that topic, but when you start talking about your multiple box mages in your box group because better than a beast, it’s only fair to then consider the full benefits of a beast in a similar scenario, which far surpasses their individual dps.
  13. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I dont think my SK is gonna be bumped enough by the BST adps to make up for how much mashola on the buttons you have to do to get to that level of dps OR adps.
  14. took2summit11 Augur

Right, group composition matters. So I don’t think it’s as fair as saying a mage is better dps than a beast. With the right group makeup, a beast will be better overall dps for the whole group than a mage would. All that being said, I will agree a mage is easier to box and get the most out of it than a beast would be.
    Skewert likes this.
  15. Desean-Xeg New Member

Stacking multiple mages is a huge difference than Molo’ing on a mage, that opens up the “of many” line of spells as your main nuke and greatly increases dps. A solo mage with no adps doesn’t do all that great of exp. The big advantage to the mage is they’re an easier automated box but you definitely lose a significant amount of dps just hitting macro’s and aa’s
    BadPallyGuildLeader likes this.
  16. Eyezing Lorekeeper

This thread is adorable... Beast's are so weak! We suck! Totally can't solo 90% of TBL named. That's gotta be those mage dudes. Would love to meet this 'best' beastlord though! They sound awesome.
  17. Micker Augur

I know this thread is a little old, but BL, just for FD alone, are better for moloing. Way easier to pull singles and shrug off aggro. Pet wise, the buffed BL pet with defensive is all of the tank that an Earth pet is(actually has more hps). Add in the BLs much better healing, Slow etc. and I would say a BL is much better for moloing. Not to say Mages can't molo, but BLs have more tools. Mages DPS is better, but I feel so vulnerable on my mage without FD. They actually make an awesome team.
  18. Conq Augur

Has anyone ever heard the term "Beasts are so OP!". I have not.
    Raise your hand if you've met a mage and said, "Mages are so OP!". /raise
    Conq
  19. Eyezing Lorekeeper

I'm a 110 bst and I like to think I do it well. Maybe I'm not seeing the right mages... Reading this forum, many of you aren't seeing the right beastlords from what you're claiming about them. It is what it is, lol.

Just to offer my 2cp... I know I can solo things most classes can't... And to answer the original question, no... It's not because of our partially successful, easily resisted slow. I'd attribute it to our pets and our healing capabilities for both the pet and ourselves. Not to mention, I'll put a hurt on the mob when I'm caught up on healing and throw a rune or 2 on.

We're no SK though...
    menown likes this.
  20. Mazame Augur

I still say it comes down to play style and what fits you best.

@Eyezing your not normal you tank raid names.