Does anyone really think Mangler will ever be the hardcore server now?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Daragoth, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Ceffener Augur

Best way to bring back/gain a very large population (though unknown how long it would last), would to do what Oldschool Runescape did and come out with a mobile version. Obviously that server would have to be heavily tuned for solo play or drop in/drop out, but that’s the only thing I can see that could actually draw a sizeable new population.

Which the did create that new spinoff company to work on mobile games...so maybe it’s not that crazy of an idea.
  2. Elyani Augur

Apparently you did not see the Blizzard reveal of their latest Diablo game. LOL

"Do you guys not have phones?!"
  3. Sethiroth Augur

You can give your opinion without being snobby about it. It’s allowed you know?

Referring to people as “these casuals” as if they are some sort of miscellaneous goop you had to scrape off the sole of your boot.

Playing hardcore doesn’t make you some sort of superior human.
  4. Elyani Augur

I am sorry that you read things how you want to read them. I use quotes because, again, the definition is subjective. I also use quotes around "hardcore", so I must hate them, too. So emotional. :)
  5. Rolento Augur

I mean, its obvious that each server is going to have less and less when there are so many servers to choose from now. Ragefire and Lockjaw were booming because they were the first.

Then Phinny came in and was arguably the most popular server because they introduced the true box code and instances which people loved.

Then you got Agnarr which back in the Phinny days people really wanted.

Now Coirnav the last of the bunch and also probably the worst of the launches do to being a Phinny clone with slower exp.

Look at all the servers there are that has split what is already a small community. Now there will be 2 more to that list. I see Selos doing well just because it is so different then all the rest of the servers. Mangler I see being in huge trouble for longevity.

Unless people are tired of the 5 servers I just mentioned, and don't like Selos ruleset. Where is the Mangler population going to come from.
  6. Sethiroth Augur

Well it seems I’m not the only one capable of reading things how I want to see them, because I was trying to emphasise the word “these” in “these casuals” as if you were referring to some sort of surprising new pond life you had discovered.

It was a very patronising turn of phrase, especially when taken in context with the tone of the rest of your post. I’ll say it again, playing hardcore doesn’t make you a better person, you’re not a special snowflake. A high percentage of the population of this game have played the hardcore game at some point.
  7. Elyani Augur

Well, again, I didn't mean any malaise behind it. But you can continue to cry and act like I did if it makes you feel better. Some people just like to argue. Doesn't matter what I say because you're still going to see it how you see it. This will be the last time I respond to your cries of attention. I don't think I am better, but that is my opinion, whether you think it's snobby or not. I will say it however I want to say it, you can interpret it however you want to. I won't sit here trying to clarify myself over and over in hopes to pacify your unwarranted rage over my use of words/wording. Especially, when, never once did I say that I thought casuals were bad, gross, icky, sucky, crappy, terrible players, or anything else at all negative. And I still don't think that.
  8. Sethiroth Augur

Say what you like, but you came across as very snobby in that post /shrug
  9. Risiko Augur

Depending on your definition of the term hardcore as it applies to Everquest players...

Hardcore = painful to play
    Yes. The current rule set as defined for Mangler fits that description.

Hardcore = Top guilds competing for server firsts and dominating the server content
    No. The Selo server has that covered, and there is next to no chance that any player that fits this description of hardcore will choose a more painful experience as described above.

Just my two coppers worth.
  10. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Hardcore = Easiest path available
    Casual = Doesn't really care which path is taken

That's usually the case.
  11. code-zero Augur

After thinking over my past raiding I thought I'd look around for a raid progression list and alla didn't fail me
    Raid Progression through Underfoot

I'd previously said that trying to keep up was going to make their eyes bleed. This is about what they're looking at a year or so after launch. If any raider thinks that they are hard core enough to handle every one of these events multiple times then they're going to be a lot like a dog that tried to catch a freight train.

Attempting to play Selo as a hard core raider may well lead to corpses being discovered at their keyboards. No one is hard core enough to do that
    Sethiroth likes this.
  12. Ceffener Augur

It’ll still make a crap ton though.
  13. FIsh Lips Augur

I don't think hardcores will ever be interested in Mangler, it is defined to be too slow to be much fun to anyone. Mangler shouldn't exist. The only way to entice casuals to server A so that casuals can have server B is to remove all profit, all ego driven competition, all chance to suppress other players. And even then they will still be there. The best bet is to simultaneously release Selo's A, defined exactly as is, alongside Selo's B, where loot drops like candy, money grows on trees, and rare mobs spawn rapidly in multiple locations. They might still play there, but they will be tryhards compared to whoever claims victory on Selo's A.

Mangler is not hardcore, it's just stupid.
    Risiko likes this.
  14. Evade2019 Lorekeeper

I subbed after an 18 year break after I heard about the casual server. I’ll be bringing 3 real life friends with me if Daybreak actually releases a casual server
  15. Ceffener Augur

Your subbing before actually seeing what the ruleset is isn’t logical. Nor does a small number of people coming back change the fact that overall subscriber count is steadily dropping. A problem that isn’t even isolated to just EQ, it’s true for the entire MMORPG market and the entire PC/Console gaming market.
  16. Elyani Augur

As downplayed as you make hardcore sound with this post, I am in agreeance. lol At least that is a pretty summed up way of how I've always seen the two.
    When the words "Ultra Casual" was used, this is exactly what I thought. That or everyone spawns in PoK with MGB already given to them and they have slot machines where you can roll for your raid loot. LOL