Do you guys actually play with new character models on?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by urbanbo70, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Atomos Augur

Vanguard crap looks just as bad as Luclin models.

EQ2 a known money generator XDDDDDDDDDDD
  2. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Old models are literal trash. The faces just aren’t right. They have no depth, and look at the edges there is this weird gap where the face image sits over top of the character head and creates a gap.

Just no, no, no horrendous player character models. Elementals are fine though.
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Did you seriously just trash the concept art from the guy who made the EQ concept art? LOL
  4. Gnothappening Augur

At one time I had to dial long distance to connect to my ISP. I had a $1200 phone bill once because of that.
  5. Gnothappening Augur

OG elementals looked like elementals. New elementals look like djinn.
  6. Brontus EQ Player Activist

We've have no revamp to EQ's character graphics/animations for over 20 years since the release new models released in Luclin. We are long overdue. Despite various excuses over the years that it "costs too much money" EG7's Robin Flodin stated that in total, the EQ franchise has earned $1 billion. So the official excuse™ that it costs too much money was a fabrication all along. They had the money but never bothered to reinvest it into the franchise. But maybe they had a good reason all along.

That said, without EQ3 and updated graphics/mechanics, the audience for EQ will never grow. It think it would be a waste to sink any more resources into EQ and EQ2. It would be far wiser just to create EQ3 which explains maybe why they didn't reinvest thinking that EQ3 or EQ Next would consolidate all of the players.

The art direction of EQ Next was misguided and wrong. The voxel idea never made sense. However, almost everything else made perfect sense about EQ Next except the removal of levels which was a horrible idea. I hope they use some of the next gen ideas in the new EQ as far as NPC artificial intelligence.

The smart thing for EG7 do to is create a new EQ and migrate of the current EQ/EQ2 players (and their friends and families) into the new MMO. I believe a new EQ is in pre-production if not in actual production as we speak. Most of the art will be done outside of the USA by contractors. Of course this is hush hush and top secret. CEO Robin Flodin just said in his more recent video that they are working on an unannounced MMO based on an existing IP. My money is on a new EQ.
  7. Atomos Augur

I guess you like 100% of everything an artist makes? Plenty of people are 1 hit wonders, not a new concept. It really doesn't matter who made it. If you were to like it only because it was made by the same person, that would be really weird.
  8. Tyranthraxus Grognard

I used select old models when i played on dialup with a tube monitor and a dinosaur turd of a pc, and had to worry about such things. Luclin isn't perfect, but it beats the stick figures and paper blobs by alot.
  9. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

And now you're calling Keith Parkinson a "1 hit wonder"? I just don't have the words...
    Triconix likes this.
  10. Duckforceone Lord of the Ducks

i only play with the new models on.
  11. Strawberry Augur

Oh please, put off your nostalgia goggles.

The old models looked like they were carved out of a potato by a 3-year-old.

[IMG]
  12. samenye Lorekeeper

You're all forgetting the killer argument: dwarf tumble!

The "old model" kitties are kind of frightening though...like someone deliberately made them as terrible as possible so they'd never be asked to do another low-poly project.

My biggest gripe with the models is actually the Drakkin. When they turn slowly using mouselook they go into Parkinsons seizures. It means I can't play an otherwise cool race as it just bugs me too much.

One final thing - it's funny if you have old models switched on and people use mounts. They kind of briefly flash you a cat or wolf then shoot off at bard speed.
  13. Thraine Augur

yall should start calling the "new models" old models and the old ones ancient models ... cause im sorry, something that was implemented in 2002 is far from new.
  14. Kumiko_Lockjaw Elder

I play with the old new models.

The ancient models look like sh...
    And that shaking body an ancient model male halfling does, is something my bro and me laugh for about 20 years now :)

There is only one thing i like with ancient model. That is a male dwarf doing his running salto
  15. Triconix Augur

You realize an ini file is simply a config file for the OS to initialize the settings of the program, right? Just for your sake, I went into my ini file, set CPUAffinity to -1 (on) for all my cores. I then launched EQ, went to task manager, looked at the CPU Affinity for eqgame.exe and it was enabled for all cores. Exactly the same results as I expected would happen and exactly the same thing I do by bypassing the ini file and just enabling it directly from the task manager.
  16. Risiko Augur

Old > New.
  17. Rauven Augur

2002 is newer than 1999.

If we ever get a newer set of models then you'd have a point. Which we definitely need.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Atomos Augur

As far as I can tell, classic EQ models are his only relevant work? Most people hate Luclin models, and Vanguard was a massive bomb, lol. Really not sure what you're trying to point out here, other than maybe you got a crush on the dude? It's weird.
  19. Triconix Augur

A game can bomb, but that doesn't mean the models did. Based on the screenshots, they are very well done.

Old models are poop. Can't even sit on mounts properly.

P.S. His only relevant work was not EQ. Do not insult a man's legacy like that. If you are ignorant, educate yourself. Don't further speak ignorance.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  20. Atomos Augur

I'll say it again. His only relevant work was classic EQ. And there is no "legacy," dude isn't known for basically anything. I'm willing to bet that 99% of EQ and Vanguard players couldn't tell you the name of anyone on the art team.

When you watch or read modern articles about games from the past like EQ, the art isn't something that is praised, back then or now. In fact when you ask people why they won't play EQ, the look of the game is one of the #1 responses.