Do resists even matter anymore?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Valcron, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Anglesy Elder

I wouldn't paint such broad strokes like that, there are lots of us out there who enjoy the numbers aspect of this game and care little for the appearances. Making judgement calls of what's best for your play style and then being able to be proud of the type of [insert class name here] you are is a lot of fun. It doesn't matter so much anymore with gear being spreadsheeted and now AAs being granted, but you could really stand out from others in one aspect or another.
  2. Mardy Augur

Would be nice to go back to having to balance between resists or stats, rather than right now which is stats, stats, STATS, resists, resists, and RESISTS all stacked into your gears, making them pointless to even look at. I suppose this is somewhat unavoidable in a game this old. But it would be nice if the devs would introduce new resists & stats every once in awhile just so people have something new to work towards, and making sure those new stats don't get over stacked so quickly.

It's doable, just look at how Blizzard introduced resilience in WoW, making it one of the highly sought after stats after its launch and remained so for many many years.
  3. Norathorr Augur

I would love to go back to a style of play where gear choice actually matters. Spread sheet tiered loot is simply boring. I used to love planning out my gear, I remember even going back to ikkinz with a small raid after we had completed it long ago just to get the bp with 20 accuracy on it. Maxing resists stats and mods was often a compromise which you had to figure out which was best for yourself. The returns on heroic stats seem very small from what I have seen of them to the point that I often forget they are even there. Would love gear planning to take place again. Looking even further back I remember for our first halls of testing raids getting the required magic cold and fire resists. It was cool that certain gear was better for certain encounters.
  4. Cicelee Augur

Resists could matter, if the EQ item developer decided not to have 60 resist on every piece of gear you own and instead typed in 5 or 7 or 10 for some. It could matter if, when I look at my mage and I see 1580/825 currently...and an EQ patch makes me 802/825 instead.

Now an EQ developer can have a 40k AoE spell and I may have some resistance to it because of how much fire resistance I have, for example. And maybe you may have to use a different power source to improve poison resist for that one special encounter.

When every item in game has an inflated resist, and everyone in the game is running around above 825 resists in everything...yeah resists don't matter. But maybe they could. I would rather see 802 magic, 838 fire, 762 poison, etc etc than 1600+ on all like I have...
  5. Vlerg Augur

another issue is with EQ binary resist system: you either resist everything or resist nothing... so if your raid have the proper resist gear to resist big_boss_AoE_01, the fight become too easy... like back in the days, Trakanon damage could be insane if you didn't resist the poison, or a simple tank and spank ( + some CoTHing) if you had poison resist.

I'm not sure what happened with their corruption resist project as I didn't raided during that period... I guess people stacked nothing but corruption on aug as hardly anythingelse mattered in the raid scene for non-tank.

long story short, EQ itemisation is an outdated mess who's been piling up mistake for 14 years =)
  6. Orbital101 Augur

The only thing that make gear different today are your augs setup and nothing else... every class pretty much as the same piece of gears. beside some DPS class that goes for tank gears when they allready not droping much but thats how it goes... This ALL ALL loot is the work of someone with hands filled up over the head.
  7. Orbital101 Augur

and to go back mainly to the topic. I 3box mainly up to 5 in some circonstances but my every day set up is 3 toons and they all geared differently. My main always resist more then the others and when he doesnt reistst X spell, let say a silence, a blind or a fear the spell always break earlier/faster then the other toons, nukes will land for less with the same spells shield on all 3 toons. So my guess would be yes resist do matter.
  8. everquest gamer New Member

Is this still true? I logged in and my max resists are now only 900 where they were 905 last week.:confused:
  9. Slippry Augur

How did you find a 4.5 year old thread, and why did you post in it?
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

looks like someone got bored and went through the threads and replied. Sometimes you don't know how old the thread is until someone brings it up.

Andarriel
  11. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

They added RNGesus stat instead of overhauling resist stats.

:(
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

With a game this old, you cannot simply change directions on how stats are employed without breaking previous content. I would wager that adding a new stat is less labor intensive than changing the mechanics of a current stat.
  13. everquest gamer New Member

I was searching to see if anyone else had this issue with their stats decreasing. I'm pretty sure mine were 905 on my main character but now they're 900. Not a huge change but I recently spent hours completing Tsaph's Champion for another rank of Hero's Resolution.
  14. Siddar Augur

Resists stopped being useful with PoP. In that you gained nothing from working on getting them higher as opposed to just taking what was given. Sense then it has all been using tricks to get higher resist rates. MPG trials, AA, Bard songs and such have been the key to higher resists at one point or another.