Do resists even matter anymore?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Valcron, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Valcron Elder

I have such high resistances, does this even really matter anymore? I hope to see something in the future where it mattered, I remember my first Lady Vox and Nagafen raid where you had to have Fire/Ice/Magic resistances. I would love to see that return again
    Tharrg likes this.
  2. Tharrg Augur

players have it easy now... I had my warrior decked out in full Magic resist gear.... I passed other items to get the best MR I could and it was great for alot of encounters....
    Apathy likes this.
  3. Tearsin Rain Augur

basically... no.

the list of spells that you are allowed to resist in group or raid content is very small, and any time they want a spell to matter they make it unresistable.
    pretty much the only place in EQ where resists are relevant anymore is 1 named in the valley of king xorbb - outside of that 1 named, resists haven't been a factor for consideration since... about TSS or so.
  4. Zenthan New Member

Not really. The game has evolved since then with a multitude of damage mitigating stats and AA's available. Back then it was basically AC, HP, a couple primary stats and resists.
  5. fransisco Augur

If you look at group named spells, the resists are set so that if you have max resist, resist cap increase AA, and have done the MPG trials for the extra cap, your resist balances out at zero.
    For raids, its even higher, or simply unresistable.
    So no, resists matter even less than charisma
  6. Apathy Elder

I remember carrying around a set of resist gear ( bracers, neck, earrings, rings,... etc).
    I enjoyed having to consider resists for encounters, I think TSS brought that bk into play with "corruption".
  7. Valcron Elder

Then why do the developers even bother giving us gear with resists on it?
  8. Moklianne Augur

It was designed nicely in the old days. You had to have high enough resists to resist anything most of the time. This was great because as that content got old, it got easier to solo. The higher levels also helped.

Unfortunately, so much is simply unresistable and doesn't even check the resists these days, so it will continue to be a pain unless your level completely trumps the content's level. I guess it keeps the content difficult longer.

I just don't see the benefit of keeping content difficult beyond its return in rewards, namely gear or xp. Since unique items are rarely put into the game anymore and mudflation still happens pretty quickly, what's the point? It really just seems like a bandaid to get group and raid encounters out the door without looking at the whole picture. It feels like a cop-out sometimes.
  9. Moklianne Augur

Gear is spreadsheeted, added a certain percentage gain to each stat, replacing the effects with slightly upgraded ones. Some are tweaked and fixed after that, but I doubt many. Resists are inherited from previous gear, that's why.
  10. Edrick Augur

I wish it mattered, but we'd need to get gear that isn't spreadsheeted, and items specifically meant to boost your resists, instead of boosting every stat by 5% each tier.

I remember feeling awesome going to Vox/Nag raids with a Crown of the Froglok Kings. You definitely don't get that today. What exactly was the last expansion where you had to gear up specifically for resists, anyway?
    Andarriel likes this.
  11. Goth Augur

Resist only good for old content. I think after UF/HoT resist stoped working pretty much.

only thing i can think of that really helps is buffs or songs that add a flat +% to increase resist spells. I want to say that even allows you to resist unresistable stuff?

also buff and songs that reflect spells are nice.

at least from my feel from playing.
  12. Dabrixmgp Augur

still need to have MPGs done to raid in my guild so I guess they have to still mean something
  13. fransisco Augur

Or just a old requirement that never got changed.
    Prince Tarant Thex for example has a -1000 resist adjust on his abilities.
    Without bard song, no one can get over 1k resists.
  14. Tearsin Rain Augur

generally speaking, i'd say TSS - though that was really only a few events.
    there's also that 1 named in valley of king xorbb that is a resist fight.

the last expansion i can recall having multiple fights where resists mattered to the point of using resist gear was DoDH.
  15. Iila Augur

Technically they matter to the point that you should have them. But they don't matter in the way that you choose gear based on resists.

MPG trials and resist cap AAs are needed, since resist mods are based around having them. But beyond that, there's not much to think about. There's a recent trend of adding a max resist chance to AEs, so even out-leveled content will be able to land more consistently than it should.
  16. junglenights Augur

I think resists do matter, but probably not as much as they used to. Most if not all of the gear is spreadsheet nowadays, so you're mostly guaranteed to get a fair amount of resists, no matter what your choice of gear, since it's so uncreative. In the old days, you'd actually have to look at what you were getting to see what resists it had to plug any holes you might have or to maximize a particular resist. That still happens today but only in small amounts because the differences are smaller and also because you can change them via augments, as opposed to having to choose them by buying or rolling for different gear.

Even if the gear wasn't spreadsheet I don't think it'd change anything. Why? Because lets face it, who wants to look at the gear to make sure they're filling any resist holes or maximizing the right own? Frankly, most players have lost interest in those sorts of things. It's the same reason effects are now all in a designated slot rather than in different ones. By having the effects in designated slots the player doesn't have to concern themselves with it, just like they don't have to concern themselves as much with resists now. At best, the resists you choose to focus on via augments is as far as it'll go. The days when you had to make a meaningful choice about what resist gear you'd buy or roll on are gone, as most - if not all - gear will have enough.

AGain, the best the modern game can do is to allow players to change their resists via augments. I think that's the only thing players would accept, since buying or rolling on new gear takes too much time. Even then, large holes would not be accepted, unless switching augments was easy during a fight, otherwise we're right back where we started and players won't like it.

Having to choose between lowering one stat while increasing another - with a varying cost to switch - is known as a stat hole. Stat holes, as a mechanic, were plugged even in Anarchy Online more than 10 YEARS AGO. Generally, modern games don't use them because players feel it as an inconvenience. The result is a player in a modern game can buy or roll on almost any piece of gear that's wearable. The only real distinction made between different pieces of gear is which piece of gear has the highest stats. The games that do use stat holes make the size of the hole small, like a difference of maybe 5 to 10 percent. This means if you focused on fire, not water, water attacks will only hurt 5 to 10 percent more.

The game has changed because the players have changed. They don't like stat heavy games, I think. This means the modern systems are threatened as well, since players do have to look at items to see which one has higher stats. This is usually simple enough if you look at the level, but sometimes some items will be better even if they have the same level. Ultimately, I think this will also be plugged or it'll at least be made so it's much simpler. They'll probably consolidate stats to make it simpler.
  17. Trajet D'Or Augur

Resist don't matter because it's a terrible mechanic.

Stable and successful guilds have a lot of well geared players who will pass any resist check.

Resist checks mean lower end and often much larger guilds would take more damage from the AE, be charmed/feared longer or whatever.

Why would you implement a mechanic that hurts guilds that haven't finished RoF and/or CotF raids while the guilds clearing CotF in the first day/week of launch would have a bunch of max resist players and wouldn't be slowed down much by a resistable AE?
  18. junglenights Augur

Let me put it this way, there're probably 100x more players who'd love to consider the intricacies of a character's appearance or a character's motivations but would shutter and scream bloody murder if they had to consider the intricacies of an item's stats. This is probably a sign of how popular math is or maybe it's just something only people who have a mental disorder can enjoy. This doesn't mean people are dumb, it just means they don't enjoy it. I know in my experience it's hard to find someone who enjoys numbers. And more broadly, does anybody really enjoy comparing two items, especially since it requires a strict way of measuring it? Fundamentally, we're talking about measuring two different things and comparing their benefits and disadvantages, something that's technical and potentially cryptic. Most players will associate an activity of this kind with work, not fun.
  19. Vlerg Augur

no, resist don't matter.

1- no matter what kind of gear you pick and use, you'll be 300-400 point over the cap in every single resist ( except corruption.. wich to my knowledge , in the last 3 expansion, is only used for xolok the blind in xorbb).

2- even old raid, like VoA and CToV, have resist check in the -900 or -1000 range, wich mean you won't resist them unless something push your resist over the cap ( vet AA? bard song?)

3- resist are binary in EQ ( except corruption). not progressive ; you either resist all of it, or none of it.

4- the new auto-granted AAs give you discordant defiance anyway.

Vishimtar achievement, ( the 1-2% chance to resist any spell) is more usefull than the MPG trials.
  20. Sharpshooter Lorekeeper

Yes I do believe resists matter. Also I believe that resists that show up as over your cap matter as well to an extent.

Say you look on your stats window and you see say Magic 1500/725 or something. You have a spell that hits you and is Magic -500. People think that the math is something like 725 - 500 = 225. When the reality seems to be it's like 1500 - 500 = 1000 (which then gets pulled down to your cap of 725 if you exceed it).

Another example would be 1000/725. Magic - 300. Instead of it being resisted with 425 its more like 1000 - 300 = 700.