Do resists count for anything these days?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Uxtalzon, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Uxtalzon Augur

So what level do our resists (since defiant armor came out) max out, mid-40's nowadays? Keep raising max resists with AAs and levels, but why bother?

Named shoot off AEs or abilities that are unresistable, or the resist chance is so low it's not a factor to rely on. Raid AEs are the same. However, regular mob trash spells aren't even worth resisting.

A wizard NPC casting on me is a much more welcome sight than meleeing me for 10k at a time.

Fearless AA? Just a few minutes ago Cazic AE feared a portion of our raid at the very end into the wall of fire. Fearless didn't do jack squat. I raged a little in Ventrilo over that.

Are resist buffs worth even casting anymore? Back in ye olden days of Everquest yore, we adventurers sought battles with creatures and actually counted on resistances to block some spells. These days in comparison, it's either resistable (and thus usually resisted), and unresistable, which I come across frequently. I don't even bother using my Sanctification discipline (as vague as it gets) because it does *nothing* when it should count most - surviving the hard stuff.
  2. Crystilla Augur

(On the Fear raid in HoT, it's scripted to send some folks into the fire, but if you're out of the AE range - I always am halfway down the hill when I know that's about to happen - you can avoid being one of the 'chosen')
  3. Tearsin Rain Augur

1. resist buffs are not worth casting, ever - even if it weren't impossible to not have maxed resists via gear, they wouldn't be worth using because mechanically speaking they would do nothing.

2. you're right in your assessment that everything is either 'unresistable', or 'resisting it or not just doesn't matter', so in the grand scheme of the game resists just don't matter.
    Vouivre likes this.
  4. Vouivre Augur

Yeah the devs destroyed the point of resists in the game.
  5. Fenthen aka Rath

Good job, devs!
  6. Tuldan Lorekeeper

Shrug. 800 resists and i resist the 60k aes often enough to be worth it in city of bronze raid. Well worth it if u plan to raid and most guilds require it.
    Tarvas likes this.
  7. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Yes, they are worth it.
  8. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Discordant Defiance (+5 to Resist cap -- Total of 100 Resist)
    Trials of Mata Muram (+8 to Resist cap for first 5 trials, +10 to Resist cap for 6th trial -- Total of 50 Resist)

Those two AA lines, get you +150 Resist, so from 650 base at level 95, you get up to 800 Resists.

Those overcaps matter. You will start resisting AEs more often when you have 800 Resist vs 650 Resist.

Resists on your Gear / Augs / Buffs... do not matter, because none of them go over-cap. With raid gear, I think most of my resists uncapped are at 1300~.

IMO they should reintroduce some Resist buffs, namely the Enchanter group magic resist. Druid group Fire/Cold. Shaman group Disease/Poison. Those resists would increase the CAP on the spell by 100ish or so. 80/100/120 for rks1-3 would be solid.

Buff slots are pretty filled up when you are raid buffed and burning currently, this would allow you to pick and choose times when you want that extra resist and when you don't.
  9. Recnarp Augur

I was never a fan of carrying tons of different resist gear in my inventory for that one raid encounter.
  10. Uxtalzon Augur

Okay, the Fear Itself raid has a scripted AE fear, but even then I should've been immune to it. It sounds like a way devs made content that weasels around my innate ability, and if I know Sony they'll make more content do just that.

The old days you fought mobs that hit for less than they nuked for, so you looked forward to having those resists. Today it's reversed; if I had to choose if an NPC sat there casting spells that did 2-4k damage at best as opposed to punching me for triple 6000+, I'd be happy if they sat there chain-casting. They could throw debuffs and nukes and it would barely do a fraction of the melee damage they dish out.

City of Bronze raid, while I haven't done it, is an example where resists would help, but that's far and few in between the raids, missions, and the usual named of today that would blast me with unresistable effects. I have a feeling the next expansion will be more of the same, except to a more extreme degree.
  11. Smallpox Augur

I am not a big fan of "scripted" crippling. It literally defeats the purpose of wanting to improve your toon.

This is the one that really irks me (Unearthing Alra): http://www.elitegamerslounge.com/home/raidwiki/index.php?title=Unearthing_Alra

List of effects: http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x205/Daldaen/PillarsRaid2.png

It seems like there is no creativity to raids anymore. All they are doing is punishing the ones that actually have put in the time and worked on their toons.

Just my humble opinion.
  12. Ssixa Augur

Just wait til you get to Somnium event #3 and your faerune doesn't work during the boss ;)
  13. Daislet Augur

I actually disagree completely, CoB is not a good example.
    The worst offender is Wilo. There is a mechanic to avoid the DD which relies on people hugging the sentries - have you ever hugged a sentry and still got the DD? - this is due to predominately due to lag between client and server. The developers Want you to Hug the sentry. Really it's pointless - you're better to heal through it and keep folks burning. Why take 12-15secs out of your primary burn. You're given an Emote that in 10secs time you're going to be hit - healers top up the group just prior to that - let the AE hit and then you got another 40 or 50secs to get everyone back up to full health again.

The true mechanic for that would have been to increase the Dream Guardian aura range (at least double - triple), increase the AE hit to 150k except for the main tank (prior to casting - it could reflect a "spell barrier" onto the MT). This way folks do need to hug the Dream Guardian else they die, the increase in aura range will help with lag.
  14. Retrievil Elder

Resists dont matter. If the devs want a spell to land they will just code it to ignore resists, have a huge negative modifier, or simply ignore AAs such as fearless. Even though I have them all, the resist cap boosts you get from AAs/LoN/MPG probably do nothing.

@Tuldan : I dont belive they do anything at raids, and the only time you resist those CoB aes is when you win the roll on the check for the familar buff that gives you a 5% chance to resist any spell.
  15. Tarrin Augur

Some corruption based AEs in VoA only have a resist adjustment in the (-60) range.