Do paladins stink in current eq?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by lucienne, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Maedhros High King

You're still trying to figure out why paladin ae agro being so weak is a problem?
    Do you even play EQ?
    Group content is tuned to chain pulling multiple mobs.
    Raid content is tuned to have multiple mobs attacking in waves that need to be tanked all at once.
    Have you never raided Emollious, Stem the tide, High Bokon, Lceanium, Queen, Atrebes Vault, or Atrebe Sathir before?
    SKs and warriors excel at tanking many mobs on those raids, meanwhile paladins are lucky to be able to lock down a single mob.
    Phrovo1 and fransisco like this.
  2. arsenil Lorekeeper

first off i see people dont read what other say just skim over and take it as you like .. but as for thancra i dont see where pallies single target agro is crippled .. i group and raid with pallies and they seem to hold agro fine just like the warriors and SK .. and as for crippling DPS by them lowering their agro now and then as to not pull it off the tank .. i dont see it .. they are not ment to be able to go all out all the time without some kind of draw back like they will pull agro . if they were ment to go all out all the time then they would not have agro attributed to their dmg at all .. its all about control... fansisco i would not mind at all my DMG being cut in half as long as i can keep agro but im not sure where pallies lost 40% of their agro . did something get taken away from them that was used for agro ?
  3. arsenil Lorekeeper

i never said i was trying to figure out why pally ae agro was so weak .. i never thought it was weak in the first place .. what i said was that people should be doing there jobs and following the main assist and beating on the mob that the tank is directly beating on and using his single target taunts and agro on so as to not pull agro .. and yes i have raided all of them and beaten all but 3 of those raids and yes there are a lot of mobs to keep rounded up but we use a good bit of tanks and most tanks have one or 2 mobs to deal with at a time not big groups and the MA assists the tank then raid assist them .. using control to win .. i have seen pallies hold agro on many mobs at the same time .. now i dont play a pally myself but i know some that are great and have no problems at all with whatever they are tanking so i dont know what they do different than others .. maybe pallies do need more ae agro .. i would have to ask the good ones i know
  4. Seldom Augur

Still missing the point Arsenil. Your raid force struggles and can't take out all the content because it's operating under faulty logic similar to yours which leads to extreme inefficiency. Ask the '"good" Paladins you know questions all you like, but it won't change fact that you're operating at a mediocre level and claiming all is well due to your low end experiences. In the mean time, the "good" raid forces will continue to farm all the raids for a few more months while you "control" things I guess. Good luck with getting rest of events down, sounds like it'll be a long and controlled process
  5. Phrovo1 Augur

probs easy for paladins to keep aggro if the dps isn't even trying
  6. Chaosflux Augur

Paladins can hold aggro off monks and bards

/FLEX
  7. arsenil Lorekeeper

so control is faulty logic ? lol .. so are you telling me that to beat the raids you need SK and War to just ae agro everything while DPS hits any mob they want full force and thats how you win ?? while pallies sit in the back healing because you say they cant ae agro and cant hold single target agro ether ? even the " good " ones ?
  8. Maedhros High King

Yes of course that's how it is. Welcome to the conversation
  9. Phrovo1 Augur

paladins can get/hold aggro, dps generally just attacks their mob last to give them plenty of time to generate too much aggro to rip :p
  10. Wulfhere Augur

Valiant Defense's heal recourse is affected by NPC witness check for heals and other beneficial spells. So 50% of the time NPCs fail to notice the heal and the hate mod at all. It's easy to test with a swarm of mobs. Sometimes it does work and witnessing mobs, in the test swarm, indirectly change target to the paladin via heal hate alone, with a matching aggro percentage change too.

The problem is that the heal recourse isn't reliable aggro (heal portion + 7124) for the paladin, only the direct hate is reliable aggro (10117). Basically at least 70% of the spells' aggro is wasted about half of the time.
  11. fransisco Augur

Basically, paladins are good. However, comparing their tanking abilities to SK/WAR shows that they are a distant third.
    They handle damage fine, but they are abysmal in the agro department compared to the other two.
  12. Peter_The_great Elder

Paladins does stink really bad..they can't tank, can't deal damage.. struggle is real. Only good is when boxing and dealing with undead if not being hit..6% chance of getting Slay Undead..but all other classes got that on all other creatures..aka critical hit..

If you got the stamina and hold a mob for 25min ..low dps and heal 24/7..then its ok.

Planing on solo, leave the paladin in the dirt. Boxing..yes but focus on paladin last.

Paladins is in need of some serious dps-boost.
  13. p2aa Augur

Sounds like you need to learn how to play your paladin.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Wut?

I double the dps of casters on group content. Adding a wizard (player, not merc) to duo slows my experience gains in ToV.

SKs are great too, and zerkers blow us out of the water (they should), but casters are the only dps that should be complaining.
  15. Catty Lorekeeper

....so... no obligatory comments about a 2.5 year old, incorrect thread resurrection?
    Cydonia and German like this.
  16. Colt4954 Journeyman

Arent you the guy who complained the game was too hard and was wasting your money like a few months ago?