Do paladins stink in current eq?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by lucienne, Apr 19, 2017.

1. lucienne New Member

Not meant to be a troll thread at all; but how are paladins functioning in the group and raid game? I want to come back and play a tank and lean towards paladin but all I am reading about is how bad their aggro is. If I did play a pally our group would roll without a healer besides perhaps a healer merc, assuming the paladin healing helps enough. Not sure if its just wiser to skip the frustration and play a shadowknight instead.
  2. Minato Augur

Paladins like any class can be amazing given what time/effort you put into them. the same can be said about the "flavor of the month" classes also. you put little effort into them and you will suck compared to a class not so OP but a player putting in the time and effort on that class
  3. Nightops Augur

From the looks of this latest patch really cutting down on paladin dps; I would suggest if your group of players already has a tank option, I would go with a different class.

Lots of classes have had their dps boosted during the past 6 months with EoK but the tanks have been pretty muted; if not reversed in some cases.
  4. Coronay Augur

Paladins are in a great place at the moment. They function very well in most (all?) environments. Especially undead areas.
  5. p2aa Augur

Don't let be fooled by the posts of some people about it. Especially don't read Francisco feedback on the paladin class.
    Don't play also a flavor of the month class. Choose a class you like and stick with it. Paladins are getting a DPS nerf today, but it's not the end of the world. Each class gets the nerf wheel someday.
    Once this being said, as some other have said it, paladins are in a good place atm and are your best choice atm for healing help in the situation you described.
    Regarding raiding, there are many raid guilds that use paladins to tank raid adds, which is something they can do well.
    So if you like the paladin class, by all means play it and do yourself an opinion on how the class operates, don't stick to the boards feedbacks, especially when you see the lot of negativity that is happening on boards atm.
    Coronay likes this.
  6. Lubianx Augur

No Paladins don't stink at the moment. But we are hardly in a great place. We are in good place. We could be in a great place if they could fix some of our agro issues, especially in relation to the other 2 tanks and if we didn't get this DPS nerf, which is a huge one.

If you do want to raid on your pally, expect to do a lot of "splash" duty. Whilst we do add duty, we are not as good as SKs or even warriors these days, as their agro potential is a lot more than ours, but we hardly stink.
  7. Repthor Augur

If they dont use their tools that they have penty of then Yes they will be terribad. Their ability to operate by them self with out a healer merc is only matched by an sk. Tanking 1-3dark blue con mobs they are great at with just them selfs as healer. Just like sks. Wile your fighting undeads your not only your own tank/healer but also your own debuffer and dps.

You weakness is ae aggro but you still have some you can by with aas.

And you can Cure your self and others on demens. Heal others on demon if/when need ed. If you do miss the heal you can allways rezz them . Your dps on non undead is not the best , but still still solid if you considder all the other things you bring to the table. All the tanks are in a very good spot atm . They all have strong points and weakness. Dont let the eq forums whom ppl allways focus on the weakness and downplay what they bring to the table. PAL is a good Class you should try it out. Just understand what you bring to the table and that you cant have it all
  8. lucienne New Member

i was under the impression that paladins could self heal better than shadowknights could?
  9. Coronay Augur

Had a paladin in kor sha lab last night pulling 2-4 mobs at a time and one pull was The Possessed with 2 adds. Tanked it all just fine and did not lose aggro or have any noticeable aggro generation problems.
  10. Chaosflux Augur

Yep, our most frequently cast hate spell also heals our targets target.

In addition to a zillion other heals of varying target types.
  11. Murphy Elder

A few things about pallies:

1) OP as hell
    2) Like calling for nerfs for every other knight class besides themselves.
    3) Some high profile guilds are led by pallies who are responsible for some of the recent nerfs in the last patch.
    4) On the positive side pally gear is cheap on FV server *shrug* That's something right?
    sauron3030 likes this.
  12. Maedhros High King

Yes paladins stink, we are sitting in 4 years of nerfs and stagnation. The last time Paladins were godmode was the beginning of COTF. All a paladin had to do at that time was get shining bastion from a cleric on raids, and then gain agro on one single mob and sit back and lol as every other mob came running to attack you as SB fired off and triggered the group heal proc aa. It was so overpowering that the other tank classes cried and got it nerfed. Ironic that now we sit in the harmonious era where Warriors and SKs can fire their Harmonious, and then lol as they tank everything for minimal effort as well.
    AE agro should never be passive - or outside of the tanks individual control. It should be something good tanks of all 3 classes can actively generate through effort, and obviously lesser tanks would be worse at it.

Back when Beacon of the righteous was new and worked, we actually had AE agro.
    Then Beacon got castrated for a while, until they made us pay more AA points to buy it back and get it to a level close but not as good as it originally was.

Our healing and agro spells havent been updated since TDS, except we got a couple of terrible AA that "improve by 2% per rank" on some of the spells. 8% more of crap is still crap.

We got an updated Valiant Deflection in EOK. Or as it should be called, the Great Value brand ripoff of the SK Deceitful deflection. Their version is AE and does tremendous healing and agro, our version does 1 single target and obviously heals far less in every situation unless an sk is only able to tap a single mob.

Our dps was pretty much the only way we could generate really strong agro and that was just nerfed pretty drastically.

Since we havent had a level cap increase since TDS, our spells which were barely sufficient at the time have not aged well. In the future, if there arent going to be level increases as often, thus no new spells, our agro spells need to be moved to percentage based so we can keep up as the melee classes keep pushing more and more dps/agro so we can stay relevant.

The change to the alliance spells from the recent patch is making it tough for SKs and warriors to tank that were doing great a week ago. Paladin is totally outmatched now.

1 - thats ridiculous.
    2 - there is only one other knight class, and if you are too oblivious to note which of the 2 is dramatically underpowered, then you need to stop sharing your opinions as they make you look stupid.
    3 - I assume youre talking about me as none of the other top guilds is led by a paladin. I never advocate nerfs. I advocate balance. Given the 2 options, nerf down, or boost up, I always prefer to see the classes that are lacking get a boost. All this round of nerfs did is screw balance up even more.
    4 - there is nothing positive about the FV server. The fact that toons can be xfered to FV and gutted to sell the gear is one of the worst things that exists in EQ. We realized the other day that a player from my guild who has been deceased for nearly a year, his toon was removed from the guild - password changed, and I assume is going to be on its way to FV for gutting. Some dirtbag friend of his who he shared access with I guess. FV disgusts me.
    5 - good try
    fransisco and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  13. p2aa Augur

It's ironic. Fintank, a warrior of your guild, created a thread calling openly to nerf tank DPS, and specifically targettting warriors there by listing a parse of some DH HA he steamrolled through in 2H DPS mode and riposte DPS. You said in this thread warrior DPS was too high too listing a parse of another warrior in your guild ending 1st in the DPS parse of Queen.
    Of course, the popular whinners of these boards calling nerf to some classes (Francisco, Doomcasters, Vdidar etc) start to say it was the baseline warrior DPS in raid etc..
    If you think devs would have reduced warrior DPS and not touch knight DPS, you were really dreaming.
    So, even if you aren't directly responsible of this tank DPS nerf, complaining about it now is kinda ironic.
  14. p2aa Augur

Double post, due to server lag
  15. fransisco Augur

What is your beef here?
    The thread is about how paladins are crummy at agro compared to SKs and Warriors?
  16. Maedhros High King

As I have repeatedly said, my goal is balance. Given the 2 options nerf, or boost, I will always prefer to see the classes that are lacking get a boost to achieve balance.
    Do you think tanks should be topping parses on raids? I do not.
    Is it incorrect to say that the paladin nerf to dps has negatively affected our already pathetic agro? Of course it is not.
    Is it possible to adjust the way adps affects a tank without nerfing any of their own stuff that they would activate in an exp group or when they were not in an adps group? Sure as hell should be.

Once again I am left searching for the tiny grain of logic in one of your posts.
  17. fransisco Augur

Love to p2aa lol.

To the original poster, Paladins don't stink. Raids love them for splash duties.

The complains of paladins comes from stacking them up to the other 2 tank classes.
    Paladins can function as a group tank just fine. But when you compare them to warriors or shadowknights in the group format, paladins are found wanting.
  18. Insaneox Augur

If you play the class correctly you can do anything that an SK can do.

The only super power an SK has currently is that harmonious disruption.

I don't advocate any nerfs and most end up failing, just wish they would try and balance without constant nerfs.
    Murphy and Sindaiann like this.
  19. Maedhros High King

Oh apparently Madcow is the leader of MS now, so there is another GL paladin hooray.
  20. Allayna Augur

Raid leader's a pally too!
  21. Maedhros High King

I still think Murphys jab was meant for me though.