DO NOT start new TLPs in Classic!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Phinius, Jan 25, 2019.

1. likestobox Lorekeeper

If the casual server is box friendly I would like it to start in classic then have kunark go live in 2 months.
  2. Hinastorm Elder

Just to throw in my 2c......

Either start the servers with kunark open, OR do the work of long overdue classic balance changes.

There is some unacceptable problems in classic, such as rogues being useless, and other melee not being that great, that have gone on for far too long.

Alot of people play casters for 3 months, then switch when kunark opens, its really dumb. I personally never had the time to do that, but I get why they do it. Feeling useless for 3 months sucks.

Could avoid that work by just opening with kunark. Ya theres still some stuff id like to see fixed kunark+ (nerfing chanter charm in exchange for some dps/utility in raids) but I know dev time is tight.
  3. Hinastorm Elder

Oh, and mark of the mighty, or whatever its called, the pet raid debuff, needs to go on truebox servers.

No one is boxing 30 mages to kill raid stuff, like on ragefire. Keep the aggro tranfer if you have to, but the pet damage debuff part makes no sense anymore.
  4. Iyvy Augur

You're simply wrong. The vast majority of non Coirnav players are ready to do classic again. Agnarr hasn't been in classic for 2 years! Phinny diehards even longer.

Everyone wants a classic server except Coirnav players, who want Coirnav to not die.

Well best of luck with that.

The best way for Coirnav to not die: Start the new TLPs in classic!
  5. TimeBreak Elder

I'm an Agnarr player and refuse to spend 9 months until Luclin again. I also hope these new servers have better xp and kill Coirnav. If it goes classic and 3+ month locks again I'll try to do what I did with Agnarr to deter the burn out. Play first month, get some toons in the 40's or to 50, take off for 6 month, come back in Velious and continue on from there.
  6. Quill Augur

Cool... then they'll have fun on the Hardcore Server amirite?

Even me. I want *a* Classic Server. Feel free to make that the Hardcore Server.

Casual Server? Just no.
  7. likestobox Lorekeeper

why would the casual server not start in classic but the hardcore would? makes no sense at all..
  8. Iyvy Augur

???

^^^
  9. Quill Augur

Because Classic has nothing at all to do with Casual Play. Never has, never will. You have like one zone to get 50 in, and need items that farmers will have on lockdown and gladly sell you, so long as you pay for their subs.

If you open in GoD, you get all of trilogy through LDoN to play and level-up in and provide a myriad of options, including various different ways of getting similar items. And there was never a more casual-friendly expansion than LDoN, particularly in the current game where you can generate plat fairly quickly, rather than having to buy it.

Hardcore on the other hand, you pretty much have to start them from the beginning as its important to them that they conquer all expansions, with whatever tedious means you inflict upon them so they can earn the tag. If Classic is Your Thing, there is a Hardcore Server that has you covered.

Either way, you're ten shades of cracked if you start both servers in Classic. The only people for that are Krono farmers that want some tasty double dipping. Twice the prisoners, twice the krono!

I don't care if they do that to the HC, but the Casual Server should be just that, and opening at a place that kneecaps the Krono farmers is just fine with me.
    Thalliius likes this.
  10. TheRedBandit Elder

There are many QoL improvements with later expos like the baz/PoK. And it offers more leveling paths than the xp highway. Also might prevent burnout to have AA's sooner, so people will group up longer and have a reason to xp after maxing.
    Quill likes this.
  11. Quill Augur

The absolute ideal casual setup based on testing on FV would be regular boxing, everything up to LDoN, and then find a way to turn on Hayda Ware in PoK and unlatch the window itself from the SoD expansion. Then people can either use a merc contract, or one is made available. You should get A1-A5 and J1 like you normally would on Live, but anything higher you can't get because its locked behind quests in SoD.

At that point, you can two-box this game with zero downtime, zero Krono, and play only when you have the time. If that isn't a Casual Server, I don't know what is.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

I skipped PoR on Phinny. No regrets. I experienced PoR when it originally launched. That's enough for one lifetime.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

Uh, no.
    TimeBreak likes this.
  14. Iyvy Augur

I just don't understand what you want to do? 9 months of velious? Some stupid later expansion no one plays?

If you wanna play in GoD and stuff... go play Phinny, or Coirnav. Like Coirnav just finished velious! Why are you trying to skip over classic/kunark.

If you like PoP era you stay on Agnarr.

If you like Velious -> Luclin, you just got that/are getting that with Coirnav.

If you want the stuff between Agnarr and Phinny, stay on Coirnav and you'll get that soon.

If you want the stuff that Phinny is on...

The only thing not being covered right now is Classic!
  15. SweetLaxTho Elder

If both servers are supposed to be launched in the same week and are hardcore v casual they will start in the same era or they should just throw out hardcore v casual as the theme. As far as I am aware there has never been a TLP started anytime other than classic. Ive done these everytime so I wouldnt mind a different era but this would be the worst time ever as that would be a huge factor as to which server to play on. Probably the main factor for a decent amount of folks. The only thing we know is DBG, for better or worse, wants the main factor for everyone to be HC v Casual. FWIW based on what small comments DBG makes on the server populations they have noted that players drop off a lot after pop and therefor it would never make financial sense to release a server that starts after the eras that are most popular for TLPs. It doesnt make sense to start in pop as agnarr is always in pop. This time next year the casual server will be in velious (likely). Which means luclin is around the corner. Simply put:

1. They wont start a server after pop
    2. They wont start a server in pop b/c agnarr is always in pop.
    3. They will start in the same era this year because HC/Casual is the entire hype for whatever reason.
    4. This time next year the casual server will be in velious/luc so they wont start there in 2021
    5. At best in 2021 DBG might offer a kunark launch.
    6. You can get a kunark launch on these servers sooner than that.
  16. Thalliius Augur

I actually realize how fortunate I was joining Coirnav right as Luclin was released... Thinking about it more and more, I don't feel like I would enjoy going through Classic again... rather small world, no way to get around easily, massive competition at the select few zones you use to level

Id probably wait for the ultra casual server to get up to at least Luclin before i would join
    Quill likes this.
  17. Quill Augur

Classic was fine and actually pretty fun. Its Kunark that suuuuuuuucked. If you like beating your Juggernaut, play that expansion in Era. Make sure you put Chain Gang by Sam Cooke on repeat as you settle in.

Pretty much at this point, I doubt i'd play Hardcore, and if Casual is True Box, it will basically mean I can just go back to FV and play casually. I have no interest in spending time LFG. Not that its that hard to get groups or make them, particularly in early Progression, I'm just past all that unless I can have my box available in a pinch to just go somewhere and do something useful. I certainly don't mind adding real people in lieu of the box, but I won't simply try to make or join pure PC groups. You go somewhere, get stable, and then add PC's if available.

That is... unless they want to put in a Dungeon Finder tool like WoW has(very doubtful as I would imagine it would take gobs of developer and coder time). Then i'd consider it.
  18. Sethiroth Augur

I’d love to know how you came to that conclusion seeing as it’s just over 1 month to go when these servers drop and they still haven’t released details on the rule sets.
    Thalliius likes this.
  19. Sethiroth Augur

This would be the absolute best way to kill off the server before it even starts. They are calling it “ultra casual” but I guarantee you the life of the server will be maintained by a cross section of players that has “ultra casual” players as a minority.

Mostly likely there will still be at least one or two hardcore raid guilds who raid 3+ nights a week, and numerous casual raid guilds who raid maybe once or twice a week, plus a lot of social guilds (and unguided players) with lots of players who spend at least a couple hours in game most nights (and probably more on weekends). And these will be the people who keep the server alive.

Actual “ultra casual” players, (let’s say these people play less than 6 hours a week) will probably make up less than 10% of the servers population.

12 month lockouts will absolutely kill the server (of boredom).
  20. Sethiroth Augur

Nah. No one would do this. Forced into subbing to yet another account just to play a TLP where you aren’t allowed to play on other servers? Give that a miss thanx
    Barton likes this.