DO NOT start new TLPs in Classic!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Phinius, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Phinius Elder

Ok boys, those of you that want to start in Classic for whatever insane reason, let's do this:

1) Expansions unlock immediately following end boss kills during Classic - Velious.
    2) Unlock timers set to 2 months after end boss kills beginning in Luclin.
    3) LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

By the way, I'm assuming everyone is on the same page that this should be a true box instanced server. And that there should only be one of them. What happened to Vulak? What happened to Lockjaw? C'mon DBG you've got one person on the team with a brain, yeah?
    Lowlife likes this.
  2. Rururu New Member

I don't know why this is even a discussion, both servers will start in Classic if only to put enough distance between Coirnav and the new servers.

It wouldn't make much sense to create another phinny clone and then match it's timeframe up that is parallel to that of Coirnav, each of these servers will be different enough from both Phinny and Coirnav that players already on Coirnav won't want to leave and the rulesets will be attractive to different types of players rather than those who commonly play on Phinny type servers.

I'm not asking for anything specific because i play on Coirnav and i'm not going to leave, but my prediction is this.

Hardcore server: This WILL be a PvP server of some sort and other than that it may indeed be in the same unlock timetable as Phinny and Coirnav, but it will certainly start in Classic and have no set deadpoint like Agnarr does. exp may or may not be increased, AOCs may or may not exist and the playnice policy also may or may not exist. Unknown PVP ruleset, leaning toward RZ though teams would be more fun in my opinion.

Ultra Casual Server: This is the server least likely to be a phinny clone. Casual implies that something is much more relaxed or easier than normal, while this could apply strictly to the experience rate, i doubt it, all it would be then is a phinny clone with a better experience rate than either Phinny or Coirnav, i think most people given the choice would prefer faster exp, thus, this becomes the preferred server for new players who want a real TLP with the xp bonus at the start -- no go, it will simply split their population rather than attract the new or returning players that DGB covets.

I think the Ultra casual server will be an FV ruleset that encourages roleplay, i think it will also have a slower unlock rate than a regular TLP as to not conflict with that of the Hardcore server or existing TLPs, unlocks may take 4, 5 or 6 months rather than 3, and the server may be locked at Velious in order to get the true 'Classic' feel of the game. This server, like the hardcore server, may not have AOCs either as raiding would not be the primary goal of such a server, the 'roleplay' aspect of the game would be the focus.

Its clear that DBG has been planning this for quite some time. With Coirnav finally reaching one of most exciting expansions in Everquest, there will undoubtedly be a ton of interest in it as well as the fact that this is the first time a TLP will have seen GoD and OOW in two years, Coirnav may be meant to appeal to raiders in this era of Everquest and beyond, being primarily raid-oriented expansions, i think that both of these new servers will have a clear and deliberate differentiation from Coirnav especially and other existing TLPs as well.

That being said i'm probably completely wrong and DBG will release two more phinny clones, one with faster exp and one with even slower exp. Who knows.
  3. Brady New Member

I don’t think you understand all content available. What can be killed at level 50 in full defiant gear? Let’s find out.
    What gear is farmable at level 50 from some TSS zone you’ve never heard of? Let’s find out.

The guild competition would be a blast. Here’s a screenshot of my guild standing over a dead emperor at level XX. Let me know when yours gets one. The mob kill tracking scoreboard would be amazing.
  4. Lowlife Lorekeeper

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I think the idea of 2 servers is actually insane based on this history of TLP dual server launches. They must be thinking that logically splitting them with different rulesets and "hardcore" vs "casual" is going to make everything different. I think the main deciding factor with be XP rate. If they use that to differentiate the servers in any way it will make people choose 1 over the other.
  5. Iyacc Augur

Your first paragraph would be perfect imo - as a guild leader.

Your second paragraph is why it's perfect - for a guild leader. So many people take a break for the last few weeks of the boring expansions.

Just because I like farming planes for people's first real sets of armor and the capability you get from completing that first wave of epics, doesn't mean I don't realize it's boring as all hell for lots of people. I like the trilogy type release for the simple fact that it gives people a more varied range of things to do on that run to 60 and may just keep more of them around consistently instead of giving them incentive to take breaks every couple months.
  6. yerm Augur

This requires leveling to 50 in lguk and oot etc again. It then requires leveling to 60 in seb and chardok etc again. It does not allow you to level in places like nurga or tofs or grimling forest etc until after there are twinks, powerlevelers, an established and probably saturated market, etc.

Absolutely no thanks. Do not start the server in only classic.
  7. Ilshade Augur

A factor that will clean up a lot of these issues is;

DBG should enforce you to create a new account to log into one the new servers of your choice and that account can not log in\have access to another server for the first 6 months.

If you really think about this impact you will see what a win this would be for the life of the server.
  8. Phinius Elder

I wouldn't worry too much about that, the hardcore guilds will have Velious open in like a week if unlocks occur on final boss deaths with no timer.
  9. yerm Augur

Yes, and they will be selling the gear from that week, and powerleveling, etc. And I will have spent that week... wait for it... leveling in the same zones I have leveled in during literally every TLP in order to get to 60 on this one.

No, fast unlocks is NOT the answer. Give us ANYTHING other than the same exact pathway to level up we have had for so many servers already. I would literally rather play on a TSS-only server where you must be a drakkin than play on a classic-only again.
  10. Quill Augur

I think it could work... so long as the rulesets have enough disparity. If both start in Classic, one is going to be rolled over the other. It just will. We saw this with Combine/Sleeper.

For it to be ideal setups, the Hardcore wouldn't want to roll on the Casual Server, and the Casuals wouldn't think of rolling on the Hardcore server. At each stage, the answer should be different.

Expansions... Casual : God opener, Hardcore: Classic
    Boxing... Casual : Regular, Hardcore : True Box
    XP... Casual : Fast, Hardcore : Slow.
    Racing with rewards... Casual : None, Hardcore : Absolutely.

...and so on. Make them as different as possible, so you have a legitimate choice.

As per Coirnav, it means less than **** here. They need to focus on making a good set of rules for both, and it really doesn't matter if Coirnav gets pancaked. After all, the event itself only gives 15 minutes of fame before punting everybody, so the server should too.

And that should be over... oh... around the time of a dual TLP release, no matter the rulsets. You'll be able to shoot off a bow on that server and not hit anyone... even the mobs will be playing the new TLP's. Its the 20th, its new servers, Coirnav along with a couple of other servers will be dormant outside of anniversary events for a bit because people will be fondling the new. Just deal.
  11. Barathrum Augur

Hardcore server will start in Classic-Velious because thats open world and hardcore content!

The Ultra casual server will start in DON! Because You need to separate the ERAS from all 3 TLPS

1. Hardcore Starts in Classic-Velious because Coirnav is entering pop so you have the Classic-Luclin for the new comers

2. Coirnav is entering POP so POP/LDON/LOY/GOD/OOW will be in the future so this ERA is taken care of!

3. The Ultra Casual will start in DON because thats the most logical choice minus TSS! I feel like TSS is to far out but at the same time that would be the most ultra casual thing to do! FV rule set with TSS Open..DON is a good starting point because it leads into DODH / The expansion we do not speak of then TSS. You would have all the ERAS covered

4. Phinny(THIS COLOR IS AWFUL WTF) Also adds to my argument because there in SOD i think? So it would seem all the ERAs would be covered....... You have 4 TLPS with each ERA taken care of. This seems like it was the plan all along.

1. Phinny SOD ERA
    2. Coirnav POP ERA
    3. Hardcore Classic ERA
    4. Ultra Casual Don/TSS era

I used "facts" and colors to explain my theory! I hope i am well enough to play EQ when these servers drop!

12. yerm Augur

Limiting starts or throttling unlocks because of some existing server that needs coddling = pure rubbish. Whatever ruleset is used should be what is best for the server being created. It should not get impaired by people worried about their other TLP turning obsolete. Breaking news: every TLP except combine went obsolete. There will be more TLPs that do it to these two.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

FWIW, I skip your posts entirely because of your insistence on using loud colors and font sizes.
  14. Iyacc Augur

I read his/her post but I don't really understand it.
  15. Brunlin Augur

I love classic, will play it many many more times. I hope both are in Classic
  16. PodofWater Journeyman

Super Casual Fantastic Server should be: Classic 12+ months and there on after expac every 15 months, because anyone who "Classifies" as a casual player only has 2-4 hours a week to play. heck I have 18+ hours a day to play I have been on Agnarr for 3 weeks my highest lvl character is lvl 4. because I cant even decide what to play. Sadly all my time is bouncing on rerolls... Sad but oh so true.
  17. Barathrum Augur

Awwww Someone doesn't like colors or loud noises! =(
    Umm ok?

DBG Will have 4 servers in each ERA is the TL DR

Phinny Is in SOD ERA of expansions
    Coirnav is in the POP era of expansions POP/LOY/LDON/GOD/OOW ETC
    Hardcore will start in Classic for Classic-Luclin
    Ultra casual will either IMHO will either start in DON ! But it could also start in TSS and have slow unlocks but starting in OOW / DON / TSS For ultra casual makes the most since at least to me.

This gives everyone an option for which EQ they want to play
  18. Thalliius Augur

Yea slow XP is a huge problem. I play 5-6+ hours a day and it’s BRUTAL on Coirnav to their point where I won’t even work on Alts, I gave up on my duo box chanter/cleric at lvl 7 cause the XP was so slow. I’m still subscribed with that 2nd account because of the need to have a mule in bazaar 24/7, but I won’t ever buy backpacks, xp potions or a mount for that account since I won’t level another toon on coirnav. I’m fascinated by the people that have like 6 different fully raid geared toons... just the sheer volume of time that would take is immense

The ultra casual server definitely needs faster XP rates. Don’t really care if they give that to hardcore players or not, but doesn’t sound like a hardcore feature. I’d still rather the hardcore server get it tho, just increases the odds that the more hardcore guilds will actually go to that server
  19. Thalliius Augur

Having FV loot combined with no AoCs would be a Krono farmer/RMT players wet dream. The supply of high end raid items would be incredibly low with no AoCs, making all raid content Open World which will be competitively taken down by a few top guilds

That means only 2 or 3 guilds would basically control the spicket of raid loot onto the server and make it super lucrative to lock down raid bosses to sell off loot for profit.

It wouldn’t be ultra casual at that point, it would be hyper competitive and basically turn into a Pay To Win server. There is no way they remove AoCs from an ultra casual server, just absolutely no way
  20. Lowlife Lorekeeper

yeah but who wants to play on slow exp server like Coirnav?