Do Beastlords ever become viable and needed?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by PorkBellyPizza, Apr 7, 2022.

1. PorkBellyPizza New Member

I enjoy my Beastlord but only to a certain point. The pet basically dies on nearly every raid boss and that is even when it has massive buffs from other members in the raid. Yes I know how to do pet hold etc. It feels like I am a slightly unwanted class when it comes to finding groups also. Mind you everyone is around level 75 and I still just feel like a weakling compared to pretty much everyone else. I have had some old BST veterans tell me the class eventually becomes nearly godlike around level 100 and to just stick it out. To be honest I am not wanting to wait another year to find out. Now with a cleric as an example you can pretty much find a group anytime, anyplace, and even a melee DPS seems to have an easier time finding a group. The only guys I recall having this much trouble were druids and necros way back in the old days. Anyways this is my 1st rodeo with a BST in over 20 years of playing. Just curious on the thoughts of other BST players.

Peace out and may your guts get fat and filled with pizza.
  2. Szilent Augur

Beastlord class suffered for many years from the lack of vision attending their genesis. They had no identity, and so no strength. That lack of identity manifested in other ways, as well, such as very lackluster epic quests.

Beastlords mature into worthwhile dps in Underfoot, but with severe agro issues. They're not key members of melee adps groups until level 101 with Broken Mirror expansion, at which point the switch is well & truly flipped : raid need goes from zero beastlords (only let your friends play them because you like the friends) to three (and maybe recruit a 4th in case one is out sick sometime).

The warder tanking is a real thing once twin fast cast Salves can be loaded (level 81 & 86).
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Merika Journeyman

Beastlord life gets much better with UF and you are up there with top DPS after that. (Besides necros cause lol)

Szilent is right though besides one for fero for the raid, multiple aren't needed until TBM.
  4. Slasher Augur

Once you get RF you become a required class in raids for melee dps for burns.
  5. Zalamyr Augur

Just echoing others, but things start turning the corner around HoT, and beastlords are in a pretty great place from TBM onwards.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Marton Augur

Stick with it, beastlords are very solid once you level up.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Roxas MM Augur

i did the full run from luclin till cov as a beastlord and i had a blast.
    Just dont think you're a monster dps, you are a support, that's where you start. so do support stuff.
    On raids, slow, paragon, focused paragon on rezzed people ( it also regens end ), rebuff, dps when you can of course, use our monster dot aggro to pull adds of healers or silks and pop prot disc to tank it till a real tank takes over, etc etc.
    In groups, slow, dps, keep that paragon rolling as soon as you can to keep the flow going, you can tank here as well np, pet can OT some as well, dont be lazy.

Later on, we become invaluable in raids and groups, with our dicho spell for melee and later also our synergy.

Nowadays on live, when we're raiding, the dps parse for my guild usually looks like necro's up top, then the top rogues, then the top beastlords ( WTB berserkers btw ...) and still we get to be awesome support for melee and also add tank in a pinch if needed as well. ( we do get some very useful defensive discs with really short reuse timers, so use them, combining them works even better).
    Lastly, if your pet dies to much on raids, you need to pay more attention to him. i always had/have my best salve up, and usually pop the AA rune on him at the start of every fight and it is rare for him to die. Remember we also have a large aa heal when needed. makes sure they are easy to reach and use them.
    Annastasya, Skuz and Yinla like this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Probably the best advice you can get right here.
  9. Orienn TreeHugger

We are in dire need of some more beastlords for ToL raids, they bring a lot of utility to the groups and raids.