Distinguishing Warriors from Knights

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Dre., Mar 19, 2016.

1. Dre. Altoholic

I think we're starting to get carried away with stackable duration mitigation tools, resulting in damage inflation issues. I'd be a lot happier with more proactive/strategic tanking than the reactive approach we have today. Instead of spamming everything and the kitchen sink to avoid being rounded, we choose between a couple of abilities based on the type of damage we expect. That can absolutely mean being punished severely for choosing wrong, or having to bring a second tank in if the mob changes their damage type.

And not that this means a complete departure from having to pay attention when we tank, but reactive tools could be shorter duration to react to damage spikes or gaps in healing.

All this stuff is starting to feel a whole lot like Combat Juggling.
    The other pure melee classes (BER/MNK/ROG) have instant ranged abilities that do something similar. While I disagree that it should be zero damage, I think there's absolutely room for a melee-type ranged dmg+high agro disc. "Enraging Arrow" or the like.

Good stuff in here Kan, thanks for the post:
  2. Xanathol Augur

I agree with that. Every tank that equips a 2her already loses shield block, shield AC, and the stats - the penalties on 2her proficiency are not needed.

Based on parses I have seen, it looks to me like ISS is overtuned when compared to DW & 2her dps. Thing is, all tank sustained dps sucks compared to other classes, so in that regards, its probably tuned right. Meaning, it is my opinion that DW prof and 2her prof could use a boost for all tanks to push them more in line with where warriors are with a 1her.
    Kamea likes this.
  3. Dre. Altoholic

All things equal I see my 1H DPS is pretty consistently lower than the other stances. Exceptions would center around heavy riposte damage (5+ mobs' worth), a short enough fight to make heroic blade a major player, or weird things with ADPS that are hard to nail down. If you're getting a different result, I'd be very interested to see what's causing your parses to look different.
    I agree DW prof could use a healthy bump in both DPS and mitigation but autoattack DPS with 2H is probably high as it needs to be for the moment. Any higher and we might start getting heat from classes like Berserkers. Not to mention that walking up to a mob and pressing A is about as boring as boring gets. I'd much prefer to see DPS added through activated skill attacks and spell-based means to better-distinguish the tank classes from each other, rather than reinforcing the trend of most our damage coming from identical sources.
  4. Kantan New Member

I see your point, already on my warrior when I include clickies and everything all of my 10 bars plus potion belt it gets a bit ridiculous. So I can understand that we have more than enough buttons to push, it's beginning to be like whackamole on high speed. I do like the idea of more passive things, or just getting stuff off my bar, rather baking multiple things into one, or making them passive. Even with our stances, having a "buff" I still think man I wish this was just a passive AA like the knights 5% one, or that our innate negative one DI roll was had a zero costing AA from level one.

I know that to some that would serve no point, but I just like knowing things that I have, rather disc or AA's or something are working 100% of the time, that I don't have to make sure a buff is on, or it somehow got knocked off, or clicked off or something. All the stuff we have for warrior's including all these clickies we have, anniversary stuff and other stuff that higher tier warrior's have that I don't, I can understand feeling like I'm playing whackamole while making sure what I clicked, did, worked and reacting/acting to the mob, my raid/group, the surroundings, and a dozen other things as a warrior. You know you're never going to do all these things perfectly, but you try your hardest to achieve as close to perfect as you can.

Perhaps we should try the less is more approach, as in i don't mean weakening ourselves, but making things simpler.