Distillate Potions gone till PoR?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Nuggziee, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krezzy Augur

I also agree with the "originalism" reasoning. TLPs became a thing after DBG became aware of the success and relatively large player population on Project 1999. TLPs are specifically marketed for nostalgic appeal. Incrementally nudging TLPs toward that state is probably a goal set for DBG developers. Game balance issues would simply be more urgent items on the list.
  2. Uumdano Augur

This is not a terrible thing in of itself, lets face it, it is why we are all here, trying to recapture the magic. It seems the only thing, time and again, that we recapture is poor execution.

Lets also face the fact that many of us would most like to be able to access some of the changes that were made later in the game when it actually makes sense. Who really wants to wait for PoR to finally see a GoD jewelry drop so they can make jc and bs trade skills that will have little to no use to the player base at that time. Not to mention will most likely never sell on the bazaar and potentially you have already skilled up past the need.

On the wish list of mine would be to somehow implement changes that were made to improve the game later on when it matters and the player base can get the most use from those changes. I could care less about all these things that go in game for the incredibly reduced influx of new players or my eighth alt. Id like to enjoy and experience them now, after all it seems easy enough for them to take these things away in the name of originalism, why not implement them in the name of common sense?

I logged in today, boxed some goats, killed creator for his bs hammer drop, which did not in hopes that things might change for the better. Ive paid for 5/6 of my accounts, using 1 krono to finish my monthly subscrips. I have like 16 days left, I may as well play with the hope that these guys get their act together because those who constantly push them in absurd directions are no longer the vocal majority.
  3. Febb Augur

4. Krezzy Augur

Note that this link is both incomplete, and contains vendor as well as player-crafted items.

Here are some details of the Potion of Graveyard Dust. Note the comment from January 2004. At the latest, this potion is LDoN era.
  5. Sultan Elder

I don't think having a stronger HoT then a Cleric has access too in the form of a potion was the objective they are trying to achieve.
  6. snailish Augur

Reasons given don't have to be the only reason, or the underlying main reason for a change. Nor do they even need to explain themselves really.

Looking at this change in the sum scope of all changes since Combine/Sleeper it's not true originalism they are aiming at --which is a good thing.

There's a better quality of play out there for original era to PoP, when the average guild is challenged by the average tier content of the era (ditto for elite group, elite guild, etc.). We aren't there yet. Looking at it from that sort of big-picture... removing the potions is probably the right move. Doesn't mean it will be popular.
  7. GeauxTigers Elder

Just gonna state facts here.

Distillates are now removed until PoR.
    Potions are still on market.
  8. Uumdano Augur

We can both or really all of us declare what we think think they are trying to accomplish. I think we would all agree, true originalism is unrealistic and not happening. We are saying it is an excuse for poor execution. There are much better ways to have a better quality game than what they did with this, I am not sure what to call it.

So it would seem that we can all agree, while we all loved classic eq, there were some things we did not love and we are all trying to better the quality of the game for all moving forward. Is the game really better now that you have to leave what you are doing to go find someone to buff you or would it better to buy potions from a leveled up alchemist.

It seems to me the only ones who were suffering would be the buffers, yet I am not sure they are complaining. I have seen way less 'selling kei & haste at pot stone, send tells' this time around and it is most likely a good thing.

Why completely ruin a good thing?
  9. MaxTheLion Augur

Reading this saddens me because all the players that I play with that actually remain around couldn't care less about "recapturing the magic". We're here to experience content and expansions that we were not able to when they originally came out. We don't wear rose tinted glasses expecting some classic experience and we're happy to play the game with how it has progressed over time. Many of the changes that devs have implemented in the most recent couple of years have been for "recapture the magic" people and it has really made, for the most part, many people unhappy. If you have been around you'll clearly notice a change in the player mindset as the newer TLP servers come out. Nobody gives a anymore and only go there in hopes of farming some Krono with no desire to stay.
    Uumdano likes this.
  10. Uumdano Augur

What a shame, I am sure we have all experienced this too. Certainly the magic is long gone, returning players all know this. I came back figuring I would pass the time until Next came out...

Personally, this is my first tlp experience, and minus the no play nice policy that fosters so much non sense, I have basically enjoyed myself. I also find myself not enjoying myself when these changes you speak of were implemented, I cant tell you how many times I have wanted to quit, again. But I play for free, until recently and deep down I always loved the game. Not the way it is managed. It will be the management that ultimately drives me away, that or a better alternative.

Anyways, here is to improving the game for all and not just a few "recapture the magic" people. Unrealistic expectations always lead to disappointment, maybe there is a happy median out there and perhaps it has already been suggested in this thread. All we need is for the company to act upon it. Here is to hoping.
  11. Febb Augur

Ya thinking about the past is always nice to think about but the past is the past. It isn't coming back and nothing people can do can bring it back. You just form new relationships and enjoy a game you already know. You play when you can and do something you enjoy. I think people just force themselves to do things they did when they were young and had tons of free time. Now they can't spend that much time and are angry they can't progress their characters as quick so they want changes to be made so they can keep up.

The problem is, you'll never make everyone happy. I rarely see a decent size group of people completely agree with each other on what a perfect rule set should be for a server or what itemization is best for each expansion. That's why the developers handle the design and not the players. The population as a whole makes some really bad arguments because I see quite a few that are just not educated enough about the game to know any better. They just want what they want and they don't care if it's out of era. It's usually the new people that go through this. They hit the first stage of grief and then eventually go through all 7 stages until they accept and find something that works for them.
    snailish likes this.
  12. Ahze Elder

And the marketplace potions are gone. So my skepticism about if they would get removed was entirely wrong. DBG is willing to sacrifice money to inflict this pain on us.

Grats on an incomprehensible choice.
    Risiko and Jaxarale like this.
  13. Celatus Augur

I'm so sick of all the tears. They never should have been on tlps anyway. Make friends play the game the way it was made to be played.
  14. Ahze Elder

This change means nothing to me. I box 6 accounts and have all the buffs I need. Single account players are going to suffer instead. I just want to preserve the population in game. You know, those friends you are talking about.
  15. Jaxarale Journeyman

Exactly... talk about a completely idiotic choice here... so you can buy sow but not clarity pots? Ya that makes sense... take them all or give them all back... stop being dumb arses...
  16. manbehindthecurtain New Member

What original alchemy recipes were Nodding Blue Lillies and Deepwater Ink used for? If you're going to remove current distillate recipes from TLP's that are out-of-era then the least you can do is put in the old, in-era recipes, no? I'd be willing to bet pretty much all I have that the first alchemy recipes using NBL's and DI's didn't come along between DoN and DoDH. They were used in alchemy prior to that.
    Now, this "fix" made them useless.

In any event, any argument that DBG removed these recipes in order to be more in-line with the original progression is utter hogwash. Why, just a month or two ago they enabled out-of-era click-from-bags in one of their patches. Now all of a sudden we need era-specific authenticity?
    Do us a favor: think about WTF you people are doing (and why you're doing it) before you push it out to the rest of us in some ill-begotten patch. And if you can't figure it - then fine, just please leave things as they are so we can continue to enjoy the game as we have been for years, instead of wasting our time adjusting to the need-to-fix-it whims of you people.
    Too much to ask??
    Kristone and Jaxarale like this.
  17. Random newb Augur

Since click from bags keeps being brought up...

The devs have said the reason behind the removal is that the potions are not balanced for the era. Click from bags is a quality of life change that doesn't matter from a balance stand point. That's why the agro meter was excluded from that quality of life patch, it also trivialized agro management in the era.
  18. Coirnav Augur

Where is their Business Intelligence team to report on revenue they stand to lose by removing these particular potions?
  19. Celatus Augur

They said in their post about this that it was a very small revenue.
  20. Kristone New Member

So let me get this right Ngreth Thergn, people were upset about the distillate potion removal and you remove the potions from the daybreak store to be fair? These potions were in the db store for the last 4 progression servers but yet this is somehow fair to screw over basically just Coirnav? I have been a paying customer since the opening day and on multiple accounts. If this is going to be the kind of knee-jerk reaction we can expect from the devs going forward then I am done for good.
    Risiko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.