Disconnects after few seconds when I have logged in

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Saphx, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Saphx New Member

After a very long break from Everquest, I started playing in 99, I decided to come back to EQ1 and play on a progression server with a friend.
    Signed in for All Access, downloaded the client and started the game.
    I can create my character and log in the game (Lockjaw server). A few days ago I was able to play for about 1-2 hours, but now I got kicked a few seconds after the log-in. And this happens for days now, different daytime.
    I even tried out my old european server Antonius Bayle with my old chars. Same effect. I log in, walk around a bit but no interaction with anything is possible, then a few seconds later: disconnected.
    Other games cause no problem.
    What could I do?

I tried a tracert on www.everquest.com from Europe over the Atlantic ;)
    Everything went fine until the Las Vegas server - after that point: timeout, timeout, timeout
  2. Yara_AB Augur

I am from Europe, too and currently do not experience any issues (it's always the same route).

What kind of processor do you have? There is that problem with characters going on hyperspeed if the clocking isn't changed upon starting eq. Maybe the servers boot you because of that?
  3. Sarkaukar Augur

On each server, has it been the only one zone on each server (not necessarily the same zone). Have you used the Return Home button on the character selection screen?

Can you try a different server than AB or lockjaw? Same results?

Any new updates for antivirus software or router/modem? Reboot router/modem (turn off for a minute then power it back up).

I would also suggest doing a clean sweep of system with your favorite antivirus and Malwarebytes

Atm, with the info provided, you are getting in, initially but that the zone is using is being closed down, that is why you can run around but can not interact with anything. The client side is running (you can run around the zone) but connection has been lost (no interaction) then eventually the game times out due to no information being received from the server.

This can be for several reasons but generally I have seen it caused by firewall software on routers/gateways. They used to be called SPI (stateful packet inspection) but now called others things. At times they can be too aggressive. Even though EQ does not send huge amount of data, the peak times come when zoning into the game/zoning from one zone to another. The aggressive SPI will see the large amount of packets as an attack, closing off that port temporarily.

If this is the issue, a few ways to work with it. Disable the router/gateway secondary software firewall (does not affect NAT). 2nd is to setup port triggering for EQ. For the computer itself, give eqgame.exe full access.
  4. Saphx New Member

Thanks for the help but after a full week of testing different machines and installations I still can not play Everquest. It really seems my router is causing the trouble (FritzBox 7272)

Following is still happening:
    - I can log in the game
    - I can walk around in the world (tested different servers and different zones - all the same)
    - I can see the chat text of other people

- I can not interact with the world (right-click on merchants, elevators etc.)
    - I can not attack anything
    - I can not camp (camp counter does not show up).

After a few minutes I get the black screen "disconnected" and I get routed to the character selection screen.

What I did:
    In Windows 7 32bit and 64bit and Windows 10 I gave eqgame full access.
    I even shut complitely down the firewalls of my pc and laptop temporalily.
    I set eqgame in WinXP mode and run as admin.

It really seems that I have a SPI problem. I haven´t figured out how to bypass this problem in my router configuration (fritzbox 7272).
    I set my machines to unlimited access to the internet, that I have found there.

I have not yet tried out the port sharing for everquest.
    Because I do not know which ports need have access...
  5. Sarkaukar Augur

Does this connect directly to your DSL, or does it connect to a cable modem or a wireless via USB modem? Are you able to bypassed the router and connected directly to the modem to test?
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

Go to approx 2:02 mark, you would set it with the Exposed Host.

For port forwarding, remember, both TCP and UDP. It is the UDP that is the trigger.

https://help.daybreakgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1668/kw/router everquest/p/1/session/L3RpbWUvMTQzOTEyOTMwMi9zaWQvaFVFU3Z1dG0=

That is all I am able to find atm.
  7. Yara_AB Augur

Saphx - can you please check if your fritzbox reboot at that time?
    I know first hand that older models (and yours falls right into that category) could run into quite some problems with EQ and EQII (both of them) upon logging in and/or zoning.

Usually they just rebooted - but other boxes simply droped connections.
    In almost all of these situations it helped replacing the power supplies for the fritzbox (they got packed with cheap stuff that broke regularly). Of course you also need to have up to date firmware!

By the way: EQ and FritzBox work "out of the box" without having to forward any ports or whatever.

Just curious - you aren't from germany or so per chance? If so, please drop me a PM and we can discuss that in german if you wish.
  8. Saphx New Member

@Sarkaukar
    I really appreciate your help! Thank you.
    So far nothing helped - after a few seconds the world is not reacting to my actions.

I tried the portforwarding like descriped here:
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/FRITZ/WLAN7170/Everquest.htm
    It is not exactly my router but similar.

But I also have UPnP enabled on my FritzBox.
    I tested following. I disabled all port rules on the router. Then I started EQ. While running EQ I entered the FritzBox setting and wanted to establish the portforwarding. When I hit "apply" the router tells me that there is already such a port rule established and there is no need to do anything - well something like that :)
    So I guess Yara_AB is right that on the FritzBox I do not need to forward any ports to run EQ...

@Yara_AB
    Yes I am german.
    I have to check the reboot issue this evening at home. I guess the router will write a reboot in the overview with a time stamp.
  9. Saphx New Member

So, I tested EQ in my office with another FritzBox nearly the same model.
    No portforwarding established.
    UPnP disabled !
    And EQ is running fine...
    I am talking with my provider now.
  10. Saphx New Member

No reboots of the router after log in zone.

At home I set everything to basic standards on the router.
    Except one thing: I disabled a "netbios filter" in the router settings.

Well, I was able to play for about 10 minutes, even fought against some mobs, interacted with a merchant, used elevators.
    But after some minutes I got a terrible lag and then after another 2-3 minutes a disconnect.

Tested my internet speed. It is not the fastest atm but I have
    4 Mbit down
    1 Mbit up
  11. Saphx New Member

The problem seems to be solved - I can play EQ now.
    I really tried everything, opened all supposed ports, even set up an exposed host...
    Today I cleared all port forwardings and set everything on standard settings.
    I disabled UPnP.
    I tried it again - same effect as before, got kicked from server after about 1min.
    Then while my fritzbox router setting window is still open - UPnP still disabled - I started EQ - reached character selection of EQ - then enter game.
    At that moment I enabled UPnP in the fritzbox settings.

And guess what?
    EQ is running now....
  12. Saphx New Member

errrrm yes....
    I loged and wanted to restart the game - got kicked again after 1min...
    Started eq again - opened fritzbox settings in the first seconds I am still on the server - DISABLED UPnP in the router settings - and EQ is running again...
  13. Saphx New Member

I hate to warm up old posts, but after bypassing my router and talking to my local internet provider who was sitting beneath the backbone access server (!) the admin there told me I shouldn´t have problems to play EQ from his point of view.
    However, I play EQ 1 again.
    After each zone changing (I let my router setup window open while playing) I hit enable UPnP and while the next zone changing I hit disable UPnP and so on and so on. It does matter if it is enabled or disabled I just have to change this setting after each zoning....
    This is the only solution so far.
    All things above did not work.
  14. Sarkaukar Augur

Saphx, you are truly a diehard :)

You also previously noted that by using a different fritzbox (but was at a different location though too) you did not need to do anything special.

1. Does the fritzbox have the newest update?
    2. Is the fritzbox own or does it belong to the provider? Are you able to switch out the box with a different mfg or model at home?

I have found some other players with similar issues with the fritzbox 7272 with recent firmware update but playing WoW and other games. The OP in that thread are in AU and their issue is getting disconnected after 10 minutes of play.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/16544224679?page=1

Same OP as above but additional info from other users with issues.
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2380922
  15. Saphx New Member

Problem solved !

It is definately the Fritz Box 7272 (even with newest OS) causing the problems. I replaced it with a Fritz Box 3490 and everything is running perfect.
    Thank you all for helping me in this problem.