Disconnected

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Creature Feature, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Halem New Member

Just don't mash your buttons and you won't get disconnected. If you are about to wipe then mash away and get a free insta camp.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

You are obviously not paying attention. The disconnects are worse now than they have ever been. No button mashing needed.
  3. Tayz New Member

As said by several others... there tends to be something that they have found which is mostly triggering this disconnect issue for them, and they play with others in the same zone from the same house without issue.

Have you bothered to look into what is triggering the issue for you? Do your brother and you spam the same hotkeys for your macros frequently? What is your internet connection path like? Are you both sharing the same wireless router, or are either of you directly connected?
  4. Finchy Augur

NOPE! at least i couldn't find anything worth while. After DBG announced releasing god/oow together i quit. said i wasn't coming back, and for several months tried to find another mmo that gave me the same feeling that eq does, and could not find anything. so i came back because i had nothing else to play and need an mmo in my life.
  5. Risiko Augur

I have tested this extensively, and found that it has nothing to do with hitting the same button at the same time. It has to do with hitting ANY button at the same time. You have to punch the keys repeatedly to get the timing just right to trigger it, so that's why people tend to say it has to do with spamming the keys. No it doesn't. You're just having more opportunities to hit the key at the exact same time that way.

I uninstalled EQ on both computer, and reinstalled. Same issue. I can reproduce it at will a million times in a row if DBG wanted to see it happen in real time. The thing is, we have been complaining about this behavior EVER SINCE PHINIGEL SERVER WAS OPENED, and DBG has done NOTHING other than to deny the issue exists. I even asked Roshen about it one night when he was streaming his EQ game play. He laughed and said it isn't an issue. Great public relations and all.

Not only has DBG not acknowledged the issue, but they have actively made the issue worse with the last update which proves that not only do they know about it, but it is intential. Why? Because the issue used to happen ONCE PER ZONE PER PLAY SESSION. After that, you could log back in on both computers, and continue on for hours with out it happening again. Since the last update, the issue happsn NON-STOP. No matter how many times you log back in, the next time you hit any button at exactly the same time the other person in your house does, you WILL get disconnected.

The people that are playing Everquest on multiple comptuers in their home that are NOT seeing this issue are likely on a Cable modem service that allows multiple IP addresses (and they likely don't even realize it). People like myself on FIOS are given exactly ONE IP address. All internet devices in my house share that same IP address via natting. This is something that 99.99999999999999999% of all internet-required software applications allow. Everquest (and specifically, the Phinigel server) is the 0.00000000000000001% that don't allow natting. Thanks DBG. You rule!

So, my options are to not play Everquest with my brother anymore, or stop playing Everquest. I choose my brother over a game that the owners clearly do not give a crap about anymore.
  6. Machen New Member

It's different for different people. I can mash different buttons all day, but if I start mashing the same button on two characters it disconnects me. I think that's the most frustrating thing about the whole thing. It almost seems as if they are flagging people somehow for different treatment. Or something in the network settings/situation is giving different results. Could be even something as simple as different latency levels. Which might make it very hard for them to figure out if it's not an intentional thing.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Your experience and mine are almost identical. I'm about to log in and play. If I get more than one disconnect I have no choice but to quit playing EQ until this is fixed. Playing one character doesn't appeal to me.
  8. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

It sounds to me like allowing you to play more than one character on Phinigel does not appeal to Daybreak. Wonder who will win this battle? :p
    Brilhasti likes this.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

If that's the case then they changed server rules.
  10. Machen New Member

They specifically designed the server so people are allowed to box using multiple computers. It seems to me that people playing more than one character (and paying more than one sub) does actually appeal to Daybreak, under the right conditions (no 3rd party software or broadcasting keystrokes to multiple characters.) When players are playing under the rules given for the server, and can't play because of a bug, the problem here isn't that you don't like boxing and it should go away.
  11. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I never said I liked or didn't like boxing, that's just something you ASSUMED. It might be a part of the problem here because you also assume that Daybreak wants or needs you to box when in reality they specifically made a server where the status quo is one person playing one character.

Just because people CAN set up 5-6 computers to play a 17 year old game, doesn't mean Daybreak WANTS or ENCOURAGES people to do so. If anything, most people that are boxing 5 or 6 characters are just too dense to take the hint that boxing on this server is not prohibited, but they SPECIFICALLY made it harder to do to discourage it.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

Daybreak created a server with rules that prohibits the 12-32 character automated bot armies. If they were against true boxers or 3, 4, 5, or 6 boxers, why not just make the rules to that end? You're making the assumption that they are against true boxers. Your assumption is just as dense (your word) as the opposite.
  13. Machen New Member

Except that's not the reality. They did not make such a server. It is the true-box server, not the no-box server. If they wanted to make a server where one person can only play one character, they could have done that. They didn't. No matter how much some people might wish they had, that isn't the server they gave us.
  14. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

If it were that dense, this thread would not exist. There is evidence (that you yourself have stated) that people are having issues boxing, there is even a Customer Service response in this or another thread. The very things that you point to as a bug is what I see as evidence to the fact that Boxing is discouraged on this server. All of the evidence, both anecdotal and otherwise, points to this end.

If they are OK with people boxing 6 but not boxing 24 why not just limit the number of instances of EQ on one machine to 6? They limited it to 1 because there are less people willing to box when you need a separate machine for each. This limits the number of people boxing.

Please tell me again how much Daybreak wants you to box on Phinigel.
  15. ID_EGO_SUPEREGO Augur

What I find funny is that some (most) of you think that you have to take actions on both (or multiple) pc's to be disconnected when in fact you can be spamming something on one machine and the other machine can be idle doing nothing like the first and disconnect both.

The code seems to be written to measure received packets / ip sessions (open sockets per IP) before hitting some threshold.

I seem to disconnect only when something intense is happening, hard healing, hard dps, something of the sort, but seldom if ever when just sitting around, or traveling place to place.

I dunno, it's annoying with two pc's, I can only imagine what it's like for 3 or more.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

And you would be wrong. I've already said the methods in place are to discourage illegal boxing and that those methods are buggy. There's really nothing more I can say to you.
  17. ID_EGO_SUPEREGO Augur

Can you cite your source for this Accipiter? The part you specifically note: "the methods in place are to discourage illegal boxing". I mean I want to know where you heard THEIR view and THEIR precautions against this.

Otherwise it is just your view of how detrimental DBG's steps are to you (and the lack of fixing true box code to your liking) that DBG places in front complainers like you to discourage (but not outright forbid) boxing (and in particular large scale boxing crews) And you know what?......Even with my occasional two-box discons, I support their efforts because Phinigel is a MUCH nicer place to play than having to watch 32 count mage armys run by and through my camps that made both Ragefire and Lockjaw utter and total shows.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

I think it's pretty obvious that's what they intended. They worked with the two primary botting creators to remove support for their programs on Phinigel.

I totally agree about the 32 count mage armies.