Disconnected

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Creature Feature, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Creature Feature New Member

My brother and I play on the Phinigel server on two different computers using two different accounts but on the same WiFi. After about 5 to 10 minutes after logging on, we both get the message, You Have Been Disconnected. Is there something we haven't set correctly?
  2. Ducreux Augur

The way in which the truebox code is implemented on Phinigel causes it to disconnect you if multiple PCs from the same IP start issuing the same keystrokes simultaneously. So if, for example, you and your brother are both mashing the "2" key on your keyboard for an ability you will likely cause a disconnect as the truebox code attempts to prevent people from using key broadcasting software (even though people have found ways around this).
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

It's worse than that. You don't even have to hit the same key for it to happen. For whatever reason, it was worse yesterday. After the 3rd disconnect in an hour I finally said, "Screw it." and went and played Battlefield 1. If disconnects persist at that rate I won't be able to justifying playing EQ anymore.
    AlmarsGuides likes this.
  4. Astley Augur

As Bobby said, I've only ever seen it happen when there is a lot of button-mashing going on at the same time. Simultaneous, repeated inputs from 2 different computers on same IP will trigger that.

I'll run a Shaman box on separate computer, and I've never had a disconnection issue, because I only need to look over occasionally to cast a couple spells.

But I know some guild members who play in the same household during raids and have been disconnected before because they were both button-mashing too much during fights.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

This has been discussed a lot. Some people (myself included) have it happen way more often than others. I don't know why. It happens to me at least once per session. I press keys at a fairly slow rate but still at some point all five disconnect. It's annoying to say the least. Other threads have had discussions about how to "fix" it but nothing works. I'm just one of those unfortunate few.
    Lithien likes this.
  6. Garmr Augur

Seems awful finicky. I 2box my beastlord with either the cleric or monk on my other account and have never been booted, granted as someone above stated I only have to occasionally hit a hot button to toss a heal or start the monk punching things. Then again I know a family in guild that has 3 very active players that group and raid together and I'm sure are mashing buttons but have never heard them complain of being booted either.
  7. Astley Augur

Do you use a shared wi-fi router for the connection or something before it gets to the modem? I'm just wondering if there is a step in the process that might make the connections more similar, or send them at the same time and help set off the connection detection.

Both of mine connect via wi-fi to the modem individually.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

I have an 8 port switch that all the computers are plugged into. I had a 5 port before and I had the same problems.

Edit: For clarity, my setup is 8 port switch -> wi-fi router -> cable modem.
  9. Behee Augur

Out of interest, can you plug one system directly in to the wi-fi router or even the cable modem? That removes the switch as a test for that computer.

We have 5 active accounts, two of us playing. The fifth account in just a druid port box. But we don't seem to get disconnects very often. I had been able to activate the disconnects when I was doing language learning using both of my characters, so I know it does work when mashing keys. But we don't often go LD otherwise.

For our setup it is:

two computers -> 4 port switch -> wi-fi router -> modem.
    three computers -> 8 port switch ->

(each switch goes to the wi-fi router with its own connection)

We also use joysticks a lot for our secondary computers, so that may also change how EQ treats incoming commands.
  10. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

After only true boxing once in the last year, I had it happen 3 times in 20 min on Saturday. After the 3rd time, I disabled and enabled the ethernet connection. No more issues.
  11. Lithien Journeyman

My husband and I play a monk and cleric from the same IP, and we have a laptop for a 3rd box occasionally along, but mostly just porting.

Until the sep patch we never disconnected. After that one we would both (+ box if it was along) disconnect once per zone as soon as we started fighting anything (the same patch that had a lot of other people crashing on zoning). After finally hearing about the button mashing being an issue, he stopped doing that, to reduce the risk of him pressing buttons at the same time as I heal. It helped. But lately we've just started disconnecting randomly when only 1 of us presses a button. It doesn't happen as often as when it started happening in Sept., but it seems much more random now and impossible to plan around. Not that the planning around it was fun either.

Is it just me, or is this one of the things where they seem to hurt real players more than the broadcasters they are supposed to prevent? As far as I understood, those were just adapted to use delays and bypass the issue, and boxers try to never use both hands on different keyboards at the same time. But 2 different people trying to play on 2 different PCs and trying not to hit the keys at the same time??? Not fun.
  12. Creature Feature New Member

We changed our keystrokes and no disconnects. Thanks for the help. :)
  13. Astley Augur

What's your internet connection path like? Shared route before the modem somewhere?
  14. Astley Augur

Good to hear it's improved!
  15. Risiko Augur

My brother and I have had this problem for ever on Phinigel.
  16. Starr Elder

I had this problem at the start of Phinny when I had shaman and 2 mages. Everytime in a new zone I would suddenly disconnect. This was of course since I was mashing my mages keyboards with same button for casting and stuff. When I switched keys and managed to do 1 hit on the keyboard I haven't disconnected since the first month of Phinny. I've even added another box and haven't been disconnected.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

I'll give it a try if I can find a long enough ethernet cable (wi-fi router is a ways down the hall)
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

I'll try that.
  19. Risiko Augur

The issue is worse now to the point that the game is plain unplayable for my brother and I.

We disconnected 5 times in a row tonight in the same zone.

Congratulations DayBreakGames. You officially found a way to make it so I can NOT play Everquest anymore with my brother because we play in the same house.

You did what I couldn't do for the past 17 years; break my Everquest addiction.

Anybody know of a MMORPG worth playing that doesn't discriminate against families that play together in the same house? Obviously, Everquest is out.
  20. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Try any server besides Phinigel or Quarm?