Disable /follow

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by IvanK, Aug 29, 2015.

1. IvanK Journeyman

Why do you need /follow anymore as you have maps? I believe disabling /follow will fix a lot of unwanted things.
  2. Rhodz Augur

Oh good lord
    First /q now this...
    Tell you what will solve a lot of problems... shut the servers down and just be done with it.
    Protocol and Perplexed like this.
  3. IvanK Journeyman

So, can you give your reasons why you need /follow?

The only reasons to use /follow:
    1) lazy
    2) botting
    3) boxing
  4. Bandok Augur

4) You have to afk during a raid and /follow helps you stay with the raid so you don't waste everyone's time
    5) You switched computers and forgot to download maps
    6) You don't know a safe path to a particular location in a zone, so you have someone show you the way
    7) Make sure you stay close enough to bard in group that you keep bard speed
    Motherlee, Tour, MBear and 4 others like this.
  5. rune00 Augur

I've seen a lot of stupid ideas on this forum but this takes the prize.
    Boxers and botters don't use /follow
    They use /stick
    Disabling /follow would only hurt regular non third party tool users. Is that really your intention with this request?
    Xanumbik, Mayfaire, Felicite and 5 others like this.
  6. IvanK Journeyman

4) You have to afk during a raid and /follow helps you stay with the raid so you don't waste everyone's time (your raid won't be far away if your afk is not that long. If you have prolong afk, just go log and come back later. And that's another kind of botting too because you are not behind your computer and your toon is doing something)
    5) You switched computers and forgot to download maps (that's lazy)
    6) You don't know a safe path to a particular location in a zone, so you have someone show you the way (you don't use follow if you want to know a "safe" path. Follow is not a "safe"tool. )
    7) Make sure you stay close enough to bard in group that you keep bard speed (bard selo song has a range of 150. You are doing something really wrong if you miss that.)
  7. IvanK Journeyman

I don't really know what /stick is. Is it an in-game command? If not, is it a macro derive from /follow? Again, what would disabling /follow really hurt a normal player? I can't really recall a situation that I really must use /follow.
  8. rune00 Augur

Yes it's an ingame command added by a third party tool.
    Over the last few years eq devs has incorporated many features from that third party tool and I'm guessing they done that since they recognize that people want those features.
    If they where to follow your suggestion and disable /follow you know what would happen? More people who otherwise never even thought about using a third party tool would then go download it cause they want that feature back...
    Mayfaire likes this.
  9. Shmef Augur

anyone that bots, or uses the bad 3rd part programs does not use /follow, this will hurt them in no way shape or form.

as far as boxing is concerned this will hurt all boxers, even the 2 boxers that make up a huge chunk of players. good luck getting their support.

you have obviously never played a bard trying to move a group from point A to point B. selos is not the only song you use, levitate and invis are close range and people need to be on follow if they want to maintain it.

honestly this might be a decent idea for the no box server specifically, but shoving in on the masses on all servers is a terrible idea.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  10. Machen New Member

Can you give reasons why these are a problem? Or more importantly, why Daybreak would think they are a problem? Seems like legitimate reasons to use the command to me.
  11. IvanK Journeyman

If you use /follow with selo speed, the levitate will go OOR.
    Motherlee likes this.
  12. IvanK Journeyman

Are you asking why botting is a problem or being lazy is a problem? If you are saying botting is no problem, you are probably one of the botters. If being less lazy can fix the problem of botting, why not?

And if DBG thinks botting is not a problem... oh well...

All in all, this is a suggestion to possibly fix or make it harder for botting.

It's similar to suggesting making everything no-drop, it may hurt the community but it may be a possible solutiom to some unwanteds.
  13. Shmef Augur

that is why you do a half second stop when lev is about to refresh/drop, without any follow there would be about a 5% chance of anyone actually getting the lev.
  14. Freki Augur

that is why the BARD follows a party member. not be the lead.
  15. Freki Augur

as bandok said: many real reasons to use the command. I may not like the use of 3rd party programs, I will SAY THIS: I am no opposed to using /follow when i need to know my way or know that someone doesn't know the way. it's a legitimate tool with legitimate uses.
  16. Numiko Augur

once call of the hero is available, no need for follow :p
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I've been playing EQ long enough that I've earned the privilege to be lazy.
    Motherlee and Perplexed like this.
  18. Rofllawls New Member

You want to remove something that has pretty much always been in the game and is an integral part of all mmo's because you are a crybaby who thinks people should work harder and not box. Got it.

You aren't a douchenozzle at all are you?
  19. Scila Augur

ok i've had my giggle for the day ... thanks for the amusement ... now lets disable /sneek and /hide buttons no need for those invis items are ingame.
  20. Warpeace Augur

While your at it can you start separate threads to remove pets, /autofire and /melody from the game. Those are obviously hacks and being abused by Lazy people, boxers and botters!!
    Motherlee likes this.