Dex vs AC

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by anvil, Jun 19, 2015.

1. anvil Elder

so for tanks i know ac is important but so is dex.. but my question is what is the trade off. how much ac can you give up to gain more dex? or how much dex can you give up to gain more ac?

i am asking because i made a heroic character recently and the heroic augs from feerrott quest give 30ac and 3 heroic dex. but would getting a 32 ac aug and loosing the 3 dex be beneficial or would i need to get more ac on an aug to be beneficial at newb heroic toon level?

thanks for any advice
  2. Repthor Augur

allways choose ac over dex. dex is a secondary stat that you look at after hp and ac is alreaddy on said item . you never choose less ac and more dex. also i asume your talking about heroicDEX

normal dex is pointless you cant avoid maxin it out even if you tryed your hardest
  3. Lianeb Augur

Augs are important to your tank setup. However that said there is little difference in one build-out of augs than another.
    It really is a matter of personal choice as the parasable difference between the HStats are very minor.
    I personally take face value of AC above all other choices. Given two augs of the same face value AC i lean toward Agi over Dex over Sta (unless I am near a 25 Point break). HP and Endur are not even in the consideration.
  4. Zaknaffein Augur

5. anvil Elder

yes i was referring to heroicDEX not normal dex. and thanks for the advice
  6. anvil Elder

i thought dex was more important than agi since it increases ur chances of dodge and such while agi increase ur ac and mitigation but for smaller returns than dex does. but perhaps i should just try to get both
  7. Riou EQResource

Dex is riposte and parry/block, Agi is Dodge (and some AC).

Their benefit will depend on the content you are fighting, until you get to TDS as a grouper you will be fine stacking hDex, in TDS as a grouper though, you will never exceed the amount needed to pass mobs heroic strikethrough in the top tiers though. At least while TDS is the current expansion.
  8. anvil Elder

so your saying that hAgi is better than hDex? or just ac period
    Rumplestilskin likes this.
  9. Brudal Augur

Dex is better than Agility insofar as it modifies 2 defensive checks versus 1 but AC for a tank has always been the most important as it affects the damage interval (getting hit for less as opposed to more); Riou points out that the mobs in TDS have enough heroic strikethrough to say you will get hit more often since you riposte, parry or dodge less when compared to older content. Dzarns example lists 800 Hdex to approach a 50% parry rate and I doubt we will get to those numbers for a few expansion/campaigns.
  10. anvil Elder

ok thanks for all the info guys
  11. Riou EQResource

Yea, and his #'s were against a mob with 0 strikethrough and 0 heroic strikethrough (which I don't think any mob past like SoD has for those values).

He then went on to list Tier 3 Arx Mentis group mobs having the 20 increments of heroic strikethrough, equivalent to canceling out both up to 500 Heroic Agi AND 500 Heroic Dex worth of avoidance gain (keep in mind this only takes you to 0 gain not a negative). This is a MASSIVE amount as groupers will NEVER reach this in TDS group gear even fully stacking 1 of the 2 Heroics. Raiders even can basically just beat this and start seeing gains vs that content in as little as like a mix of CotF t1 and t2 raid gear or higher, anything less and that Raid gear wont surpass it either. It is a like 2.5x increase over CotF t2 trash...

It really destroys the Avoidance portion of Heroics, since this is Group mobs we are talking, not even Raid ones that will most likely have massively higher values.

These values are surely too high and this is most likely why melee are extra suffering due to AE Ramp, due to these strikethrough values and thus Avoidance being basically like 95% negated.
  12. Qbert Gallifreyan

Well, this part is wrong. None of my raw stats have been capped for a couple of years. All the regular and bonus aa lines that lift the cap make it difficult to cap anything now. Perhaps that is different in raid gear, but I haven't raided for years so I don't know - clearly the thread implies group gear through its premise of a newly made heroic character, though.
  13. Rumplestilskin Lorekeeper

Yep. because H/Dex has a hard cap. Thus get the H/Agi in end game.
  14. Riou EQResource

Neither heroic has a cap.
  15. Darth Augur

Depends on the era.

Through Velious 1 AC = 10 HP or near enough to make no difference.
  16. Rumplestilskin Lorekeeper

Link please?
  17. Brohg Augur

Link please?
  18. Riou EQResource

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/heroic-stats.201063/#post-2964725

I guess technically you can say they "cap" at 100% effectiveness, but so would Heroic Agility if you want to talk about only Avoidance and ignore all side benefits it provides which have no caps in either case.

Against regular Arx Mentis group zone trash as a level 105 Warrior this "cap" would be at 2500 Heroic Dexterity (assuming the mob has 0 normal strike through, likely this needs to be even higher to compensate for that, upwards of 2500 additional Heroic Dexterity to completely counter mob strike through values).

Good Luck achieving that number in the next decade of EQ since you only go up like 20-40 points per year, unless serious mud-flation happens it will take about 47 years of current upgrades to reach that number for current TDS expansion end zone trash mobs, this isn't even counting Raid mobs which are higher, nor does it consider the next 47 years of end zone content.

So each expansion will likely raise that "cap" number higher and higher and you will never end up achieving it without super mud-flation or super stagnation of mob stats.
    Damoncord likes this.
  19. Rumplestilskin Lorekeeper

So you're saying end game warriors should go all H/Dex over H/agi and AC for augs?
  20. Riou EQResource

That is difficult to say as we don't know how much heroic strike through and base strike through raid mobs have.

We do know if you are group geared and only play in the group game you will gain 0 avoidance value from hAgi and hDex from end tier TDS group mobs as, I believe, it's not possible to get to 525+ in group gear even hard stacking 1 of them.

If you are raid geared you will have to stack 1 of the 2 - with hDex being bigger avoidance gains. This will get you avoidance value in the group game, unknown in the raid.

If you play in older content it's less harsh strike through and heroic strike through.