Dev's thank you for the eq-eggcellent-bonus-weekend

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CrazyLarth, Apr 22, 2019.

1. CrazyLarth Augur

2. Leezard New Member

I am very disappointed, as always, in the 50% Increase in Rare Spawn Chance. This has been brought up many many times and never changes so the intent is clear. DBG instills in you a sense of false hope that if you invest your weekend time in hunting an elusive RAREMOB_01 you will get him!! Truth be told. a 50% increase in a MOB that has a 1% chance of spawning is still less than 2% chance and the odds are in your favor of missing out on all the other bonuses if you spend your time "hunting".

This time, mistakenly, I spent many many many hours mass killing in Field of Bone for a grand total of ZERO rare MOBs spawning. Yes, I gambled my time away and that was my choice but there is no way I'm going to say Thank you for the scraps.

What really gets me is that you are GUARANTEED to get your Faction and Exp bonus but there is no guarantee your RAREMOB_01 will spawn. I knew this going into the deal and so did many other players. It does NOT make the pill easier to swallow.
  3. Cadira Augur

our guild got a hunter raid together saturday an sunday and knocked out 90% of Ros/Eok hunters with this "less than 2% chance" to spawn named.
    Warpeace and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  4. Febb Augur

Guarantees? lol. You aren't guaranteed anything unless you work for it. Anyone who has ever camped old world spawns know the spawn chances are low among many other placeholders. Welcome to EQ.
  5. Herf Augur

Well even though I spent Sunday trying to get Quinn or Quillmane to spawn in SK, and failed, on Friday and Saturday I got like 4-5 lvls for my lower lvl enchanter and ranger, and got to 62 on my monk. I'm pretty happy with that. And I'm still working on the Easter Egg hunt.

So I'm pretty happy. Thanks Devs!
    Vinjiansai likes this.
  6. Leezard New Member

Congratz! We do this all the time. I don't know the percentages, it was a wild guess...and I did not bring 60 players to clear out FoB.

Right. I know this because I wrote it. So many trolls.
  7. Kiras Augur

I love bonus name time. I actually prefer it over bonus xp by quite a lot. I knocked out a lot of hunter stuff. Plus, it's a great time to farm augs too.
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

why am I not surprised to see a post like this
  9. Aurastrider Augur

The fact that you rolled the dice going after the rarest of rares and lost is on you. You could have targeted named with a higher spawn rate for better value but it was your decision to target a low percent spawn with only marginal improvements to spawn rates based on percent. Had you targeted rares with double digit normal spawn rates you could have cashed in but you didn't and now you are salty. I always go after the easier spawns because it's like shooting fish in a barrel with increased rare spawns. You swung for the fences and struck out. Get back in the lineup and stop acting like some child who expects a grand slam every time they step up to the plate.
  10. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Xyroff-cazic. likes this.
  11. john5 Lorekeeper

The good news is that you can spawn him in well under an hour with a tracker to help. Read for details:
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=3677

As for thanking the devs... well, all they did was flip a switch? Did they do it to increase the enjoyment of the players? No, not exactly. You see, renting servers costs money. Every second they are operating generates overhead cost. They probably get a flat rate on bandwidth and never go near their cap. So the real purpose of giving holiday bonuses is to get people to play, who might otherwise take those days off. Why? As long as people are playing, the company is profiting- kronos, Station store, etc. They don't lose money when people play, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Bonuses on holidays = keep a fraction of players playing who otherwise wouldn't = more money

I'm not mad at them for it, but call it what it is- they keep us trained to believe such a thing is rare, so it can be used to manipulate people for more profit.
  12. Leezard New Member

Why am I not surprised to see a post like this.
  13. Zaggran Journeyman

To be fair, depending on what he's hunting, he may not be exaggerating with that <2% thing. Some old rares are just absurd. I remember camping a levy clicky in CT many years ago... I spent a week there.

Let me clarify that statement. I didn't spend a few hours a day for 7 days there. I slept 7 hours a night, I'd leave the computer to grab something from the fridge (which I'd then eat at the computer) or use the bathroom. Other than that, I was camping it. For a solid week. And the punchline? It never dropped. After a week of casual genocide on grays, I gave in and just bought the damn thing for a small fortune.

Of course, it was stupid to waste the time on uber rare nameds, but that's not to say he's necessarily exaggerating on the low spawn rate.
    Cadira likes this.
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

check the writeup on quillmane on zam. as long u got a tracker and the zone to yourself it shouldn't be to hard. I know someone that got it to pop a few times in a row for the fabled cloak. not looking for sk hunter myself although I did get lord grimrot though when I was checking on my ranger but with others in zone I left.

Andarriel
  15. smash Augur

So since you KNEW how it works, why spend the time in FoB for it ? Instead of doing other mobs, you KNEW that FoB would not suddenly hand you the named you miss.

You have only yourself to blame for that. And all the other people got most of what they wanted.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

It was clear in advance how the bonus worked so not sure what the problem is.

About the only "nice to have" I would like would be for a bonus of this type to go on for a week or more at a time since it helps even out the bumps in how we get treated by the RNG.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Vinjiansai New Member

I was happy for the increased xp to achieve 105 on my rogue after 2-months of working at it! Was tempted to go after nameds in Illceanium (several were on track), but gave myself props for hitting my primary goal of leveling my toon and left it at that.
  18. Morthakia Augur

A 50% rare spawn rate increase will save you the same EXACT amount of time whether you’re camping a mob with a 2% chance of spawning or a bunch of mobs with a 20% chance of spawning.

Example: If something has a 2% chance of spawning normally, you might need to spend 60 hours at the camp to get it to spawn. Note this is a made up estimate, but the precise timing isn’t important. With a 50% increase to the spawn rate, the expected time to get the named could be reduced from 60 hours down to 40 hours.

Example #2: If something has a 20% chance of spawning normally, you may only need to spend 6 hours at the camp to get it to spawn. With a 50% increase to the spawn rate, the expected time to get the named could be reduced from 6 hours down to 4 hours.

The difference is that in Example #1 you’re much more susceptible to the random number generator working either in/out of your favor. It would seem that the upset poster above elected to pursue Example #1 rather than Example #2 during the increase spawn rate period and ultimately got burned. I’m sorry this happened, but the same risk existed without the bonus. It’s tough, unfortunate, but I absolutely don’t place any blame on Daybreak.

I also camped some very rare spawns for hunter during the increased spawn rate. In some circumstances I got burned and gave up, others I got lucky, and others took so long that I was scratching my head at how long it took given the 50% increase (UGH Kedge Keep)!!!!

In summary: Quit whining! THANK YOU DAYBREAK! More bonus rares please!!!
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Morthakia likes this.
  20. Herf Augur

I've been trying the tracker method of spawning Qwinn but so far it hasn't worked. Finding the initial PH in an an unbroken zone is very difficult.

I even leveled up a ranger to do it. But the battle goes on.