@Devs - are boxable servers done?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Intin, Feb 14, 2019.

1. HoodenShuklak Augur

2. Accipiter Old Timer

My opinion: DBG will never create a TLP server where I S Boxr and MacaroniQuest are allowed (either implicitly or explicitly). That's a genie they are trying to get back in the bottle, not the opposite.
  3. Jaera Augur

My opinion is that your opinion is absolutely correct. Because there is complete radio silence on the subject, however, people who want truebox removed are still going to pressure for truebox to be removed.
  4. tryieq Journeyman

Would also love to see a box server with AOC, picks etc
  5. kjempff Elder

Why do people equal boxing with cheat programs ? The thing is, it is not hard to detect macaroni and autoban it (all the emus do it, and Daybreak also does it on occasion), so that should not even be an issue if it was actually enforced.
    If the anti cheat software rules were enforced and players actually had to manually control all characters, then it would be hard to box anything past 3 with much efficiency. Not saying it would completely fix one man armies and mage boxes, but it would drastically reduce the problem.
    Then nice players who just want a box or two because that is how they enjoy the game or because their rl makes it hard to always group or just like a more casual approach, could do their thing and everyone would get along (summer of love 2019 hippie style). Finally I have to advocate my preference, which is 3box ip blocked ALONG with enforcement of rules for cheat programs.
  6. Kahna Augur

Because, literally 20 years of experience has taught us enforcement is not going to happen.
    Koggar.Bertoxxulous likes this.
  7. Ceffener Augur

Much easier to autoban non paying customers that have no rights and you have no burden to prove anything or provide customer service.
  8. Evade Augur

Those people can play on any server. They dont require groups. They can literally start on a 20 year old live server, create 100 wizards and go to town. There is zero reason for them to start on a new server.

meanwhile I'm the only character in North ro. There are only 2 people my lvl in the entire world if you dont count all the bazaar alts. My only chance at getting a group is to start fresh on a new server with 100's of other fresh start people.

A boxer can go to any server they want provided its not a true box and play away to his or her hearts content. Nothing is stopping you
    Sulle and Koggar.Bertoxxulous like this.
  9. Jaera Augur

Please continue to engage in selective reading and then attacking that non-existent point.

Once again, the people posting in these threads want progression content, not live. And once again, the people who are posting here are not wanting to make 100 wizards to go to town. They want to box 6 characters without being punished by a failed piece of technology that does nothing to affect the ultra minority of people that will make those 100 wizards.
    tryieq likes this.
  10. Geoff Journeyman

Seriously,

Can we get rid of Truebox? What problem has it solved?

Reasons to Stop TRUEBOX
    1 - If boxers don't want to play with you, its no different than if they weren't there. you still don't have a group
    2 - It saves electricity - running 5 laptops around a PC isn't efficient
    3 - It is only a pain in the for people that haven't started to use Programs to get around Truebox
    4 - People still box

Reasons Truebox was made
    1 - To stop mage box armies
    a) This was solved with MOTM and nerfs to pets and changes in aggro tables- it isn't a concern anymore for raid mobs
    b) There are Pick zones now and instanced content - content isn't able to be monopolized
    This doesn't stop an over kill person from making 12 accounts BUT NEITHER DOES TRUEBOX
    2 - To encourage people to group
    a) Any boxer will tell you that its far better to have a competent person in your group than to box one. The only benefit to a box is that when you want to play, the box is ready to play. No waiting on someone to finish dinner, no waiting for them to find the zone you are in, no waiting for an hour for them to show up only to find they went afk after getting lost.
    I don't know a single boxer out there that wouldn't drop a box for a good player.

It has been what 5 years since this experiment has started? All the people that are intent on boxing still do so, we all have our 11 laptops set up and keypads ready. Let us retire the external computers, they don't provide any revenue to DBG and you are ruining the environment making us use them.
    #GlobalwarmingcausedbyDBG
    TLDR - End Truebox or tell me a good reason it exists still.
    Umul, Master Kahleem and tryieq like this.
  11. Intin Elder

I hadn't even considered the environmental impact.
  12. kjempff Elder

@Ceffener A completely valid point.
    @Kahna well to some degree you are right about bans "never" happening, but it still does happen in batches once in awhile. Earlier progression servers have had some "ban-rounds", though not very wholeheartedly as most didn't get banned and many was just a 3-7 day timeout warning.

I will mention one thing though, macaroni is fundamentally made to make it easier to operate multiple machines, so working around truebox isn't that really mostly a physical real estate issue?. Also whatever virtualization ware can be used, I haven't checked up on it. Well it does work for some, personally I am not going to bother with those workarounds, but that also means I will not be a paying customer, so shrug.
    To clarify, I have never used macaroni on any server besides PeQ which allows a specific version of it, that is why I know how it works on a technical level. Like many other boxers I just want one or two on the side, to enhance my eq experience because it is simply too passive to just play one, and I played eq with a box since 2000 so for me that is the natural way to play eq.
  13. Master Kahleem Augur

Because it's unfair, and isn't realistic at all to how Everquest has functioned since its inception. in 2000 I was able to 3-box. In 2002 I started 6boxxing for the first time ever. Trueboxing is actually anti-Classic Everquest.
  14. Master Kahleem Augur

Because a vocal minority "feel" that their opinion is more valuable than yours.

/EndThread
  15. Hirbow Augur

The only flaw is that you forgot to mention is that Mage -Army Steve that is currently in pick# 43, then moved to 42, then 41, then 40, then 39 and there's nothing you can do about it, unless you have a friend named Mage-Army Bob
    Sulle and Barton like this.
  16. Stagentti Augur

Um...what?

Content can still be, and is, monopolized by boxers. It happens on True Box TLPs and it would be astronomically worse on a server that didn't have it.
    Sulle and Barton like this.
  17. The Great Pink Ogre Elder

No, they have not lost the Code of not including the Truebox code so that a server is Not Truebox.

Yes, they "could". They have the ability to do so. First, I don't expect them to release Mangler AS-IS, Second even if they did remove the Truebox code I don't see that attracting a large number of anything with those kind of EXP penalties in place.

So ultimately you're asking them to predict the future. Right now the answer could be "We never intend to release another non-truebox (or even more restrictive) server again" The moment they publicly announce that, all the multi-boxer's hoping for it are likely just to cut subs now and never bother looking back. (Clearly not a fiscally responsible idea for a company to do.)
    Alternatively if they do plan to release one, they can't confirm that their plan is for the next batch to be open, because it just prevents people from starting on these servers if they expect better servers just around the corner. Also just imagine how much of a wad everyone's underwear will get in if they announce something like that and then change their minds later.

Even if they are simply open to the possibility with no intentions one way or another. Communicating that does nothing but aggravate part of the population that would be upset that they were even considering NOT doing it.

So from a PR perspective this is a veritable mine field that is essentially a lose/lose/lose scenario.
  18. Hdizzle Augur

What if Steve's a nice guy who lets you in on Rots and stuff? Oh wait, that doesn't fit the evil boxer army narrative.. Good thing Steve cant type /pick on a truebox server.

Stop assuming everyone opposed to truebox are captaining these armies of casters with the lone intent of stealing your nameds and selling them back for Krono.
  19. Evade Augur

Sure, here is a good reason. Only boxers would want to play on a multibox approved server and there aren't enough multiboxers to make it profitable.
    Honestly, how many people would want to roll on a multibox approved server? I definitely would touch a server like that
  20. Evade Augur

Gee thanks steve for letting me have your scraps.