@Devs - are boxable servers done?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Intin, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Intin Elder

I ask this as an honest question. I know this will likely simply spiral into a debate about how terrible box armies are, krono farming etc, but hope that it doesn't. Ragefire/Lockjaw clearly had their problems at launch. The majority of these problems were fixed through the addition of /pick and the rest would be easily solved through AoC. Yes you would still have jerks, but based on the threads about Phinny/Coirnav multiboxers exist on those servers as well and do the same things that were so "terrible" about RF/LJ.

Ragefire is getting to the place where only the most dedicated will remain on a TLP. There is definitely a community of people who are only looking to play through somewhere around OoW/DoDH and then move on.

It seems like it is the time to see how a server that isn't truebox but has AoC fares. With the launch of two servers at the same time it seemed like the perfect time for the experiment, but as they have now been announced it's not happening.

So two questions:

1 - Seriously - has the code for launching a non-truebox TLP been lost? If it has just let us all know so there is never an expectation from the multibox community that a server will ever come out.

2 - Mangler seems like it's going to arrive DOA. If this is the case and after a week there's like 10 dudes on the server could you just remove that truebox limitation and see what happens?

I assume that you, DBG, have stats on those of us who play many accounts. I think you should weigh that vs what the current servers are. Maybe take Lockjaw and transfer everyone to Ragefire and then reset Lockjaw with AoC. That's pretty easy and doesn't even require a new server. Plus those folks who are moved from LJ to RJ inject new blood at the point that RF is about to really need it.

TLDR - the multibox community is curious if there will ever be a boxable server with aoc.

Thanks for your time!
    Elyani and kjempff like this.
  2. jeskola pheerie

I would like to see a boxable server with AOC as well. It has not been done yet. Due to playtime limitations, preferred playstyle, playing outside of the home, and other factors, I prefer to be able to box on one PC without having to look into breaking the EULA with undetectable VMs and other 3rd party software.

group loot camps will still be monopolized on truebox servers by people using these tools to circumvent truebox, or actually using 3 to 6 computers.

big mage armies and the like won't be as big of a deal with Pickzones and AOCs.

I know it is reaching, but a 3rd server with no truebox would be fantastic.
  3. Hdizzle Augur

I hope not.

I'm still convinced Ragefire with AOC's would be the most ultimate healthy long term viable server ever created. Maybe they're afraid of the inclusiveness of such a rule set?

Casual? NP theres 6 months homie, no hardcores here!
    Mage army? Oh you mean Steve? Yeah hes in pick 43.
    Ugh, Superguild 5 is mobilizing for Naggy, I can't wait for our instance tomorrow.
    What noones left on your server in RoF? Well we knew that was gonna happen, good thing I can box these t2 missions.

Do eet.
    Xanadas likes this.
  4. The Hated One Augur

I would agree. There is no server without true box and AoC's. That is the foundation of a server I would like to see. You could put shorter expansion unlocks, mess with EXP rates, FV loot rules or no, and I still say if you launched it right now it would surpass other TLPs in volume of accounts played.
    Elyani likes this.
  5. Ceffener Augur

Technically test server is non true box and has AoC.
  6. Torezz Lorekeeper

so far we've had Phinny, Quarm, Agnarr, Coirnav, and now 2 more, all truebox servers since Ragefire/Lockjaw. So with the last released and announced 6 Truebox servers, I recommend we take the failed DOA Mangler, and add boxing to it. XP rate close/same as Ragefire.

Everyone wins with this, even daybreak, since Mangler would be profitable instead of a dead server they'd have pay to maintain.

Even truebox people should be happy about it, because they werent gonna play there anyways.
    Elyani likes this.
  7. Evade Augur

It sounds like your play style is the exact opposite of everything a group centered MMORPG is about. Why even play EQ? Play a single player game or any other MMO as they are all solo friendly
    Sulle, Koggar.Bertoxxulous and Grogak like this.
  8. Evade Augur

How is ragefire and Lockjaw? Arent they the lowest populated servers out there? Can you not connect the dots?
  9. FIsh Lips Augur

They don't have AOCs, they have enough content for one guild, obviously that is about how many active players they end up with.
    Umul likes this.
  10. Kahna Augur

Why would they give you a hard and fast answer. Why limit themselves, or imply promises. removing their ability to flex as needed. The best you are going to get is. "We have no plans for a non-truebox server at this time." which I am pretty sure you could already figure out.
  11. Umul Augur

A server with Classic, AOC's, and no truebox would be AMAZING. I can't relate to players who have this "I can't do that, so you shouldn't either" millennial mentality about people who box groups or more of toons. I was on Ragefire from day 1 until TBL came out. I never had these awful horrible experiences of mage armies taking camps. I have horrible memories of 6 guilds trying to pull one version of Plane of Hate Lol. But they fixed that. I'll give truebox a try on Mangler if they fix it up a bit but right now I'll be happy on Live if these are the options.
  12. likestobox Lorekeeper

people left ragefire and lockjaw to go to phinny strictly for the AoC. It was a nightmare on ragefire atleast trying to compete for mobs. You even had tempus and darkwind who controlled the rot and was making stuff difficult for newer or casual raiding guild to get in the rot. They actual only allowed 2 other guilds into Ntov and that was near the unlock of luclin. If there would of been AoC from the start ragefire would still be one of the most popular servers.
    Sulle and Umul like this.
  13. likestobox Lorekeeper

Also when you make these new servers with slower xp and don't allow boxing it will actual destroy the server. soon as PoP hits it will be impossible to find groups at lower levels unless you wanna pay for a PL, so it discourages new people to the server and will start to lose people every expansion. Most people play TLP servers to re-live the old days and is in no hurry or has no interest on catching up to live. allowing people to box what they want is the only way to truly keep a server alive.
    Umul likes this.
  14. Umul Augur

And the annoying part is, everyone who asked for truebox doesn't play beyond lvl 75. Because they all bail, people who stay are stuck having to box to keep up. And since its truebox its a true pain in the D*ck, for no reason other than those 5 mediocre guilds of players who hate box armies don't like the expansions anymore. Ask Phinny how excited they are about truebox now that they are in the 80's...
  15. Weebles Augur

Just throwing my hat in the ring for a no truebox server.
  16. jeskola pheerie

Because I enjoy playing Everquest in the way that I have played it for many years, and do not have interest in other games. I still socialize and add other people to my groups. Your close-minded view of how people should play the game exactly as you do is very narrow and prejudice.
    Elyani, kjempff and Pirlo like this.
  17. jeskola pheerie

no AOCs and no pickzones killed the population early on. We have yet to experience an AOC-enabled, pickzone-enabled TLP server with no truebox code. Stop trying to force your exact playstyle on the entire community.
    Elyani likes this.
  18. Jaera Augur

You keep posting this literally on every thread, so I'm going to take the time to explain something to you.

There are people who play EverQuest who want to box, and they want maybe one or two additional characters. Truebox is not ideal for them, but its not a large hurdle to grab some potatoes and make boxes. These threads are not about these people, although they'd certainly benefit from the removal of Truebox to reduce the ridiculous additional charge to be able to do so.

Then, there are people who play EverQuest who want to box, and they want to box well over a single group. They want to monopolize spawns in open world to farm for Krono, they want to box early raids, whatever. These threads are not about enabling these people. These people do this anyway regardless of what systems you try to put in place to prevent or minimize it.

Finally, there are people who play EverQuest who want to box, and they want to box a group for content that isn't the current expansion raiding. The whys are very numerous, but most people I've talked to about this say, in short, they want to be able to play EverQuest when they have the time to play EverQuest, not sit around for hours looking for group because they picked the wrong class.

This is what these threads are about, removing a system that has failed to address the main problems and complaints everyone always brings up about allowing single-cpu boxing so that people who have no desire to cause problems but simply want to be able to play progression server EverQuest aren't punished by something that does not work for its intended goal.

Instead, people who want to box are being unfairly constrained by a fourth group of players, who want no boxing whatsoever because they want the year to be 1999 again. Sorry to break it to you, its 2019, and other players of EverQuest have moved on to more modern capabilities. If the anti-boxers don't like that fact, there's a perfectly good server they can play on that they won't have to deal with boxing at all...
  19. Intin Elder

This. This is exactly what this is about. You are my Valentine.
    MarttinPH and kjempff like this.
  20. jack of all trades Elder

Why do you even play EQ? Go play a group game or any other MOBA as they are all group friendly. You can easily get your grouping fix playing LoL or DOTA. GTFOH you p99 reject. We get it. You're not even remotely smart enough to box more than a single character. You can't even get a group when there's someone shouting "Starting group, need more of ANY class!" That doesn't mean you need to enforce your craptastic ideology on to the rest of us. You've got multiple servers for your need. Go play on one of them if you don't like it.

Ragefire is live and kicking, and has quite a few guilds clearing content within era. As others have mentioned, a LOT jumped ship when it became apparent that 2 guilds were going to dominate the scene. Not to mention, the fact that the next server was launched with AoCs and pickzones from the start, so that stole a ton of population away who simply wanted to enjoy content.

Ready to start actually arguing your stance instead of running to hide everytime someone comes back with an actual intuitive argument? Or are you going to continue to be the little p99 ***** boy we all see you as?
    FIsh Lips likes this.