@Devs- acknowledgement that the Vulak move was flawed?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by The Hated One, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Brovaar Elder

You have some serious issues. You seem to exhibit a degree of Schadenfreude.

You almost convinced me that you are not a crass person, but you had to express your comment in a snarky manner. I will grant you this, you have convinced me you are a 'she' as you put it.
    Rhodz likes this.
  2. michael moody New Member

I've been playing on Agnarr but not sure if I want to stop at PoP. I have toons on Phinny but I do not like the time it takes to level. So I checked my Vulaak server and found I had some 50+ toons on it but it was mostly dead. Then I read they were merging and I was like "okay cool I'll check it out once the merge happens. Come to check it out tonight and find that my toons are all gone. Hmm could have sworn they said they were transferring them over. Either let me get some characters to 50 with a simple click or return my characters please...I did pay to play at the time, I am paying to play now and I did spend the time working on those characters.
  3. Klang Lorekeeper

Yea, I logged in and found some level 75s missing. I haven't tracked down all who's there and not there at this point. Seems like a mess. Almost like they ought to bring back up the old Vulak so we can sort out what did and didn't move.
  4. Jepper New Member

Ok, this is getting ridiculous.. I had to come on forums to find out about this? I've had a ticket in since the server merge took place and still missing at least 3 characters. No response to tickets.. 13 days in.. I'm missing more then just the character.. there were bags, mounts, items, etc that could be used on Fippy.. why cant they just answer the ticket and say hey.. we're still working on it?
  5. Brovaar Elder

One of the developers is working on it. After I gave examples of what toons were missing for me they seem to think the fix will not be difficult now that they have a base to compare with. I don't know when or how they will make the correction though.

I imagine it would be too difficult to address each character individually because of the sheer volume of toons missing. Instead it might be better if they try another global migration once they correct the coding issue.
  6. Rhodz Augur

In the corporate world it is almost always the guy that said it wasn't going to work, it was going to be a mess, we don't want to do this.... gets the task of cleaning it up.
    Happens to all of us eventually and you have our sympathies.

I am serious here, that has got to be the Freddy Kruger database from hell.
  7. Machentoo Augur

Haha, ain't that the truth.

Usually because he is the one guy that understands it well enough to actually fix it.
    Gana and Chatoyan like this.
  8. The Hated One Augur

Yes same here. One of the developers is helping us get our toons back. Its an emailathon for sure though. Hopefully it will all get squared away.
  9. klanderso Developer

Alright, after doing nothing but stare at database things (with a brief break now and then to look at the merchant window) for the past few weeks, your characters should be there. We undid and then redid some things, and they should be back.
    Kattria Minx, Chatoyan, Miena and 4 others like this.
  10. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Thanks for all the work you have been doing. I hope this clears the way for future server merges! :)
  11. Rhodz Augur

So you guys were able to debug the merger process sufficiently for it to work?
  12. Brovaar Elder

I will check it out after I get home today. Thanks for working on it all this time.

On a curious technical note, can you share what was the issue and how you resolved it?
  13. klanderso Developer

We learned a lot and have fixed a few things that should make any potential merges in the future go much more smoothly.

I can't go too into it, but it all boiled down to 1) assumptions are bad, 2) asking for additional verification from more senior programmers is always a good idea, and 3) there's no substitute for testing with real data. The handful of missing characters I got from you guys made it all possible :)
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Welome to EQ spagetti code!

We all live and learn, good to see you persevered and solved the problem. :)
    snailish and klanderso like this.
  15. Brovaar Elder

Well, thanks again Klanderso! Much appreciate it.