Devs, A favor regarding vet rewards?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by skattabrainz, Dec 5, 2019.

1. enclee Augur

It’s literally a 1 to 1 calculation. Any programmer is going to just assign the number of veteran rewards as the total years of account age. It’s as basic as software code gets.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You make sooo many assumptions. It's simple in your mind, sure. What if the variable has undocumented dependencies? Not totally out of the realm of possibility here...
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  3. enclee Augur

Where else is the number of Veteran characters allowed per account being used?
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I wouldn't know the answer to that, and neither do you. This discussion is devolving into minutia - regardless of how little time it takes, I would prefer Dev time be spent on things that are new or broken. VetAAs are neither. Leave them be.
  5. enclee Augur

Ok, then stop making sooo many assumptions. I’d prefer they make implement small quality of life changes that positively impact the entire community.
    Ratbo Peep likes this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I err on the side of caution. When Devs are saying their resources are strained, I take them at their word.

As I stated above, I am not against this idea. I am against spending time on it.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Character flags are tied to the character, not the account, and are permanent.

Even if it was so "simple", something that checked status of A (available) versus U (used), then moving a character between accounts would invalidate it ("stealing" or "losing" one depending on which way it went).

How about you read the pop up that comes up when you type /veteran and has ALWAYS POPPED UP SINCE THE BEGINNING, that clearly states once you use it that it is gone, instead of blindly clicking things and then whining about it later.
    Duder likes this.
  8. Funk Augur

This thread is a suggestion for the devs.

Now look at yourself and what you are typing in all caps, like you're yelling at others that "this is the way it is and it shall never change" And accusing people of blind clicking etc..

I will repeat this is a suggestion thread, not a thread for you to rage people for requesting a change.
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

And I don't particularly care what you think.

Wasting development time on a non-issue is, in my "suggestion", a waste of time and effort.

It isn't such a simple easy thing to do. And if the flag is worth that much to people, they should be more careful on how they use them rather than constantly use them on level 1 random alts that they end up deleting.
    Duder likes this.
  10. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

What is spaghetti code?
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  11. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I love how people get so extremely upset when someone makes a suggestion or request. :rolleyes:
    Bardy McFly, Risiko and Ratbo Peep like this.
  12. Ratbo Peep Augur

Ya think? <snicker>
    This was a SUGGESTION thread - not an excuse to tell us "the way it is".
    No reason to get your panties in a bunch, lest we use you for a verbal "squeal toy".
    Clue Rake incoming: People GET to make suggestions here, only the Dev's can say how hard or easy it is to do. (Or reject the concept outright)
    -W
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

And other people get to post their opinions too. Deal with it.
  14. Ratbo Peep Augur

You didn't post an OPINION. You took to directly shooting the posters. Not nice.
    Funk likes this.
  15. dreamweaver Community Manager

Okay, we are getting close to me having to lock this thread because it's devolving into an argument. Please try to not attack each other even if you disagree.
    Funk, Elyssanda and Bardy McFly like this.
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Simplest answer 'non-object oriented' code. Is that meaningful to you?

Everquest was written in the era where code was often referred to as 'spaghetti' because as you added things to code it became like a nightmare mess of (metaphorical) wires connecting different parts.

If you could imagine it in your head (with a bowl full of spaghetti and meatballs) like the meatballs are important parts of code connected by the spaghetti and it's near impossible to see at a glance how things are connected or relate to one another.

EQ is spaghetti under the hood, as we used to say.

**edited** for clarity, maybe?
  17. Risiko Augur

As someone that programs for a living, I can safely make some educated guesses based on the functionality witnessed in game.

First off, we can exclude the possibility that determining the available number of veteran rewards claimable at any given time is based off of a real-time calculation that includes a current count of characters with the veteran flag set. The reason for this is simple. Delete a character that had the veteran flag, and your number of available veteran flags does not increase.

That means that there is a value stored somewhere that either indicates the total number of veteran flags consumed by the account OR total number of veteran flags available for consumption by the account.

Either way, at the time of character deletion, if the character being deleted flagged as a veteran, it would be relatively painless to adjust the stored value mentioned above.

Now beyond the technical side of the suggestion, the real concern comes down to "do they want to do it" and "how can it be abused"?

Whether they want to do this or not, that's something none of us will know. That's up to the people at Daybreak Games.

As for the potential to abuse this change, it is possible. Potentially, some one could delete a veteran flagged character to free up a veteran claim, create a new character to claim that veteran flag on, and then put in a request to customer service to have their deleted character restored with a claim of "I accidentally deleted the wrong character" excuse. It can be checked for and avoided, but that's more training and overhead on CS of course.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  18. Funk Augur

This seems to be an extreme stretch and if that's the only way you can think of that it could be abused then I think there is even more reason to push forward with the OP's idea.

As for the whole requiring training and overhead for CS that's pretty much horse hockey too.

Does anyone actually go around looking at everyone's spell casts to determine who has vet rewards?
    Does anyone else having a vet reward affect another player in any negative way? No ( ok jester maybe with that nasty bread'=p)
    On the contrary others having vet rewards only helps groups, and guilds alike.

This is why it's disturbing to see these "forum veterans" vehemently argue against good ideas that would only increase the quality of life for players and help the game continue to survive. Do you really want the game to die?
  19. Vumad Cape Wearer

Remove LotD and roll every vet reward up 1 year.

Make LotD an immediate grant at L1 like extended target.

Anything else is not worth complaining about, except maybe expedite recovery, which quite frankly should be the 1st vet reward (if LotD is auto-grant) and a year is a reasonable wait for a free divine rez.

LotD is a good way to keep players involved, as they stick around to use it, so giving it to everyone is good for the population, as in actual numbers.
    Funk likes this.
  20. Flatchy Court Jester

I would think that if you have at least 10 years in you should get vet rewards on every toon you can make.
    Elyssanda and Funk like this.