Dev Q: Overseer Collection Item Dispenser

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Bobbybick, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

"Quick" question regarding the Overseer Collection Item Dispensers. Currently on Selo we are able to acquire these from doing Overseer missions but attempting to "Claim Reward" only gives the reward choice of another Collection Item Dispenser, effectively an infinite loop. I presume this is because we are currently not in an era that has collectibles yet, with the first expansion having them being Rain of Fear.

So the question: For TLP players we will be able to begin actually claiming collectibles starting in Rain of Fear for Rain of Fear OR will we have to wait until Call of the Forsaken to begin claiming collectibles for Rain of Fear? I know on Live you implemented the 1 expansion prior ruling but was unsure how this factored into TLP servers.

If, instead, we have to wait until Torment of Velious to begin redeeming them whatsoever I would also like to know that so I can stop bothering to acquire them.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

on Phinny, Tuesday only RoF was availible
  3. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Yea on Phinigel shortly after TDS unlocked the COTF collection item was claimable.

So on Selos once CotF launches you will be able to start claiming anything from RoF you missed.
  4. Ngreth Thergn Developer

The "loop" is intentional so your not stuck with a reward set. You can "convert" the reward set to the item ans store it for later.

And Yes. It is 1 expansion removed on all servers (even live).

Normally we have branching. "If live let it go, if progression restrict to X" this time it's simply "restrict to X," with X being expansion + 1.

I'll consider if I should allow progression to even get the dispenser early. (Not making a decision yet)
    Pumpernickel and Bobbybick like this.
  5. Moege Augur

The use experience of claiming an item from the Overseer Collection Dispenser is leaving a lot to be desired. e.g less wrist pain from all the selecting and clicking.

Could this rather be changed to the following.
    Change Overseer Collection Dispenser to currency (server wider if possible, so you do not have to go hunting for which characters you claimed dispenser/fragments on)
    Put merchants in place (one merchant per expansion)

Sort the collection items within an achievement section alphabetically. (pretty please, would make it easier even with current system)

My opinion it would cut down the claiming from 7+ clicks down to 2. Less error prone also.

Yes its a me problem, my wrists are not that great anymore. Hoarding up the dispenser till I can do an achievement probably doesn't help.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I like your idea, and it could even be streamlined further potentially.

If the Achievement interface could be more "interactive" you could just click on a collection item you don't have & a popup would ask if you want to purchase that with your collection currency.

The collection currency could be the fragments, and buying a collection achievement would cost 4 fragments per collect item - this system also from a design standpoint opens up the possibility of "cheaper" collections & "expensive" collections whereby collection items designed to be be common uncommon or rare could have different costs.
    Moege likes this.
  7. Moege Augur

I like the achievement interface idea, I do think that that is more work than DB is willing to spend. It does need to put the item in your inventory, I keep collections around with 1 unclicked until I need glyphs AA on raids. Don't want to go hunting in achievement window for the collection when I can just click an item in inventory.
    On the fragment as currency I do agree unfortunately that ship has sailed as many people already has the dispensers made. Will have to convert dispensers back to fragments in a patch, don't know if that will be possible or too much work.
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Angered... the dispenser was already available on TLPs. You are asking him to remove it from Overseer not give it out.
    Skuz likes this.