Dev...plz,forget all those Game Balance cxxp and make this game fun again.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mell, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Crokker Lorekeeper

Mell said:
    Isn't this the reason why TLP is so popular for so many? They get to "relive the good old days". The option is there for everyone who wants to dwell on what was and how great it was. Or not.
  2. NeverPayForLag Augur

The reason is very simple. Everything was defined different. Every class had its special purpose. Everybody was the little hero who was needed for its speciality. Smoothing everything to a watered down soup of classes which are able to do everything nearly the same and missing the peaks of the classes will even out also the motivation to play them.

Sure, combining these classes 6 in a group is partly desastrous because in todays game mostly everything is about DPS. But that is game design - to cope with the situation and rebuild the world around it. If something has its flaws then exactly this is the thing which makes it interesting. Regardsless if this is the face of a person, the programming of a controller for an air conditioning or the tricks of the trade in peaking out beyond the usual maxima of a game. It is not about being even and smooth and all the same. It is about having different experiences, about finding out specials beyond the norm, about something which gives the feeling of having done and accomplished something.

Maxing out a SK to tank countless mobs, mezzing an army which nobody could do so far, tanking as a caster despite it is not possible with normal means - it is like Magic the Gathering - finding combinations which are extraordinary and gives some advantages.

It is not possible to even out and give "balance" to a game with so many options and avoid every possible case without loosing the motivation factor and fun in the game.
    It is the same like making an air conditioning smooth because formulas and techniques makes that perfect but the people get sick and tired because of always the same temperature (if somebody is in that development).
    It is the same like a perfect face. It looks like an artificial puppet and not interesting anymore - the reason why so many CGI faces look weired.

Don't smooth out too much in EQ. The edges are the things which makes the people motivated to play exactly on them...
  3. Mell Journeyman

Err,my English is not very good,so what I've said is really what it mean.The weapon/spell/armor designs are too boring nowaday(Ex: we already KNEW what kind of item/armor/spell in the next expansion).
    And Im not saying I want to roll back to the original EQ like 1999 version.Its that the concept of so-called "game balance" is killing EQ slowly(just my opinion).I know we need it to keep EQ live longer,but EQ is becoming ....... boring.

Give us some things new/unique/fun which isnt DPS related since its all you guys care about the most now.
  4. Zunnoab Augur

For me, on Quarm, I had a good time despite annoyances like the lack of an out of combat regen system. It's not that I think old EQ is terrible; it's just that I think it's gotten better. I don't view old inconveniences as "balance" things. (Though in the days of really long CH chains obviously out of combat regen would break things.) The incentive was the reward on live servers, but I still had fun.

I really hope they didn't try to implement UI blocking with blind again. That's how it originally was. Now in some cases blind causes strange UI glitches. That's an example of a regression. There was an annoying issue, the UI going away while blind, and (if it's not a bug), it's bizarrely being re-introduced. It's silly. That's why I say regression so much lately.

It doesn't mean I didn't like the game back then, or that I think the devs aren't doing a good job overall.

The elimination of failure lockouts is a change that increased my enjoyment on Quarm. Thank goodness they didn't put that back in. It was always awful. I hope they never revisit that nonsense again. It certainly did no favors to TDS raiding.