@Dev please clarify. Truebox = a player is only allowed to play 1 account at a time

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Raine, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Raine New Member

This rule here needs some clarification

Q: What things are not allowed on this server?
    A True Box Progression Server is a place where players are only allowed to play one EverQuest account at a time on their computer.

It seems pretty clear on first read that Daybreak is saying a person is only allowed to play 1 EQ account at a time. But if we break this statement into 2 parts, it becomes much more confusing. Lets looks at the first part;

<A True Box Progression Server is a place where players are only allowed to play one EverQuest account at a time>

This part clearly means a person is only allowed to play 1 EQ account at a time.

But then the end part states

<on their computer>

This part has given Multiboxers the belief that 1 person can play multiple EQ accounts so long as the accounts are on different computers. The set up is basically a bunch of cheap laptops stacked on top of each other with USB numbpad attached to each laptop. The numpads are macros. Hit #1 on all your numpads and your bot army will stand, target your target, cast their spell, then sit back down.

I fail to understand why Daybreak would be against 1 person playing multiple accounts on the same computer, but are okay with 1 person playing multiple accounts so long as they are on different computers

The answer? I believe Daybreak's intention all along was the most obvious 1... a player is only allowed to play 1 EQ at a time. No multiboxing on a truebox server.

Can a Dev please clarify the rules?
  2. ch0rny Elder

Yes, Multiboxers CAN play multiple accounts as long as they are on different computers.
  3. Raine New Member

Why would daybreak be okay with 1 person playing multiple accounts on different computers but not okay with 1 person playing multiple accounts on the same computer?

What is it about multiple computers that makes multi boxing okay with Daybreak?
  4. Ceffener Augur

[IMG]
    [IMG]

It's clear, it's been made clear, it has always been clear.

There is no ban on boxing.

An even without the nice visual for clarification provided in the ruleset announcement, the English is clear. You don't get to randomly break apart sentences to try make a point that isn't there.

Hence its a TRUEBOX server. Not a NOBOX server.

0/10 on this thread.
    Barton, Zanarnar, Lilliee and 4 others like this.
  5. Trox2010 Augur

Here you go: Roxxly: "If you can manage to control a bunch of separate computers with full setups, you're welcome to try; but the limitations here should be primarily physical since we don't allow multiple clients to be run from one PC, etc."

Truebox Box Limit?
  6. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Computers are a lot more powerful these days than they used to be. Some players were running 30+ characters - I personally saw a guy running 48 characters on Ragefire server - all from a single computer. Using key broadcasting software combined with boxing this many characters allowed players to basically run their own personal raid armies. A single player could compete with an entire guild for raid targets, and it was just simply not fun and not in the spirit of the game. This led to their Truebox restriction for new TLP servers. More traditional boxing players who just want to box an extra alt or two when their groups aren't full were just collateral damage from Truebox. Now if you want to box a few characters for your group? Sure, go ahead, but you will have to control them separately on a separate device.

Basically a handful of people took their boxing capabilities to the extreme and ruined the game play experience for everyone else. This is why we can't have nice things.
    Sethiroth likes this.
  7. Raine New Member

Thanks for the history lesson.

Lame. I hope Daybreak someday releases a true true box server
  8. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Truebox is terrible and anyone who thinks it's great is just fooling themselves.
    Appren and EnchFWO like this.
  9. Gremin Augur

Daybreak is about making money, would be foolish to do a server with only one account allowed per IP.
  10. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Did you play on Ragefire TLP during the classic era?
  11. Kixx Journeyman

We got ourselves another P99er!
    Appren likes this.
  12. Sethiroth Augur

It’s not rocket science dude.

They implemented Truebox to combat box armies. It’s not that they don’t want people boxing (they do, because more accounts = more money).

True box is the compromise that limits the amount of people who ruin the game with armies of toons, while still retaining a lot of paid accounts and allowing the large number of people who like to box the ability to do so.

Just because you don’t like the fact that there are people who box, isn’t going to change any of that, and hell will freeze over before you get a dev response to this thread lol.
  13. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

No I actually never did any TLP unless you count Quarm. True box was very frustrating there and I do have a lot of PCs but just didn't want to devote multiple systems that produce a bunch of heat and more electricity when one can run multiple accounts but I may set up the space in my living room to handle a few PCs and box that way.

I just don't personally care for the true box code but I also understand some people are jerks and will 24-36 box mage armies to control stuff and that TLPs are the wild west with dps races and people KSing others for no reason other than greed and rudeness.
  14. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Gotcha. That's cool then; TLP servers aren't appealing for everyone. But given that you've never played them, you really lack the experience to make a statement like this...
    ...if you've never experienced what a modern TLP server is like without Truebox. Is Truebox a perfect solution? Absolutely not. I personally don't box, but I'd prefer it if my friends that do could load up 2-3 characters on a single device. But overall it is an infinitely better experience playing early TLP eras with Truebox compared to without. That's my opinion anyway, and while obviously I can't speak for everyone I think most experienced TLP players would agree. Specifically those that played on early Ragefire will have the best knowledge of what a Truebox-free TLP server with modern technology fueled armies really looks like. And that's who should be offering their opinions on Truebox: the TLP players who can actually compare their experiences with and without it.
    ch0rny likes this.
  15. Grailer Augur

/follow kinda sucks in tight places , nothing worse than 1 of your 6boxes that got trained by someone gets stuck and dies .

heh heh
  16. ch0rny Elder

Yeah, I was so excited for Ragefire that I spent a nice bit of cash on potions and fun appearance items and stuff. Within 2 weeks, I realized it was not a Ragefire server, but Dumpsterfire! The gnome armies all over snowballing over your camp suddenly got old. I was on one night and ONE guy had the main CB camps locked down and wasn't interested in sharing.

I understand not ALL boxers do wicked things, but it only takes a few to effect everyone else. And yes, people can still be poopooheads, but they can't (as easily) do it with 12+ bots behind them.
  17. Aurastrider Augur

The term truebox comes from original EQ when you could not tab over to another instanced of EQ. As someone who started boxing back in 2001-2002 era even though I did not know it was a thing or that it was called boxing I had to actually buy a second computer. If there was a workaround to playing multiple accounts from the same PC I did not know about it and considering how slow most computer were at that time it probably would not have performed well. So the intent is to force people to box like they did in the old days.

Boxing in EQ has never been illegal despite some players objection to it. You have your classic memories of running around with great groups and a lot of people who have turned to boxing over the years don't have warm and fuzzy feelings dealing with other players. Memories of ninja looting, getting kicked from groups for not being the best, players going "afk" to leach xp, people just logging without warning, lots of rude and obnoxious randoms and the list goes on and on. Some people are here for the content and the select interactions with others that they enjoy. Grouping with other people is an option for some not a requirement.
  18. Nolrog Augur

This is a true true box server. What you seem to want is a no box server, and that's not going to happen.
  19. Vmas_EQ New Member

[IMG]

My Set up.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Appren and xmPradah like this.
  20. Firesyde424 Journeyman

This. I can remember the very first Trakanon spawn. We were socking him vs another guild and there were, no joke, 90 shadow knights in zone, most of them were boxed. You know how sometimes a mob will spawn slightly above the ground and then drop a few inches? Trak did that and was dead before he touched the ground. 90 shadow knights HT'ed him(this was before the HT nerf) and he was dead .4 seconds after he popped.